Re: Loading a CA compliant AR fixed mag w/o breaking open the action

Marlene wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:26 am I really don’t get why people will go so far to keep a pistol grip. I mean I guess I do, because I see people at the range with these guns all the time and they are obviously way more in to ARs than they are in to shooting, but I swear that guns continue to be fun without a vertical pistol grip.
Agreed. However, this may become useful should CA push for semi auto with detachable magazine ban. Fix the magazine and use the new fangled stripper clip thingy.

Marlene wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:26 am I really don’t get why people will go so far to keep a pistol grip. I mean I guess I do, because I see people at the range with these guns all the time and they are obviously way more in to ARs than they are in to shooting, but I swear that guns continue to be fun without a vertical pistol grip.
I've shot both and personally, I find a regular rifle stock more comfortable and easier to control -- pistol grips tend to put the parts with all the recoil up quite a bit higher. But to each his/her own.

awshoot wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:51 am
I've shot both and personally, I find a regular rifle stock more comfortable and easier to control -- pistol grips tend to put the parts with all the recoil up quite a bit higher. But to each his/her own.
The pistol grip or lack thereof doesn't change the line of recoil, though swapping it (and the stock...stock) to use a conventional drop-type stock can make it seem that way. With a more conventional stock there's going to be more need to control muzzle flip because the reciprocating parts are above the shoulder. The standard AR stock is in line with the barrel and bolt/bolt carrier - recoil forces come straight back into the shoulder.

sources: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2016/11/0 ... ng-school/ https://everydaymarksman.wordpress.com/ ... -analysis/

I messed up my wrists and hands while in the AF and the combination of carpal tunnel problems and arthritis is enough to make the sort of bending required to use a conventional drop stock painful after a dozen shots. Pistol grips keep the hand, wrist, and forearm aligned and I can shoot for hours. I'm thinking that just as the Weaver stance can allow older folks to continue to shoot pistols after elbow injuries, that pistol grips can also extend the shooting life of folks as they age.