Re: Why is it SO hard to find a good, lever action .357 Magnum Rifle?

Nah, YT has an unusual receiver which allows glass to mount on top so I doubt he'll pass up the opportunity to do so.

Probably looks best with an older Redfield or something classic. Not too large, 32mm or so, otherwise the proportions will probably be all off on the carbine.

:laugh: You laugh now...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:02 am Nah, YT has an unusual receiver which allows glass to mount on top so I doubt he'll pass up the opportunity to do so.

Probably looks best with an older Redfield or something classic. Not too large, 32mm or so, otherwise the proportions will probably be all off on the carbine.

:laugh: You laugh now...
Thanks! Yes, it is designed to take other sights, including scopes. Has threaded mounting holes and with the side ejection port and a hammer spur, it's made for it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Marlene wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 am Either 1-4x variable or 2.5 fixed. This isn’t a long range gun. More field of view helps a lot for the kind of quick acquisition and shooting this gun is suited to. A pistol caliber lever gun is light and handy. The smaller the scope, the less you disrupt the balance that makes it fast to handle.
Excellent info, Marlene. With .357 it's supposed to be pretty good out to 200 yards, maybe further. Not a 1000 yard shooter!

I have no idea what size the mounting holes are, or the thread size and pitch--I know nothing about that stuff, or what scope rings will fit it. I like the idea of a broader field of view even if it sacrifices magnification--also long eye relief. I don't know if the smallest Sig or Leupold will fit, like a 2x7 32mm.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am
Marlene wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 am Either 1-4x variable or 2.5 fixed. This isn’t a long range gun. More field of view helps a lot for the kind of quick acquisition and shooting this gun is suited to. A pistol caliber lever gun is light and handy. The smaller the scope, the less you disrupt the balance that makes it fast to handle.
Excellent info, Marlene. With .357 it's supposed to be pretty good out to 200 yards, maybe further. Not a 1000 yard shooter!

I have no idea what size the mounting holes are, or the thread size and pitch--I know nothing about that stuff, or what scope rings will fit it. I like the idea of a broader field of view even if it sacrifices magnification--also long eye relief. I don't know if the smallest Sig or Leupold will fit, like a 2x7 32mm.
look for scope bases by gun on midway and you'll see your choices. Probably a few Weaver style rails to pick from, then pick out a set of Weaver style rings to match (low ring height will be fine for any of the smaller scopes) and pick your scope. the scopes you're mentioning will definitely fit.

Remember that rings and scopes come in 2 common diameters: 1" and 30mm. Just get rings in the size that match the scope you pick. Easy peasy.

Marlene wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am

look for scope bases by gun on midway and you'll see your choices. Probably a few Weaver style rails to pick from, then pick out a set of Weaver style rings to match (low ring height will be fine for any of the smaller scopes) and pick your scope. the scopes you're mentioning will definitely fit.

Remember that rings and scopes come in 2 common diameters: 1" and 30mm. Just get rings in the size that match the scope you pick. Easy peasy.
:beer2: :thanks:

It came today! I won't be able to get pictures up till either later tonight or tomorrow, but it's here!
Marlin 1894 .357 lever action, no cross-safety, SN begins with "22" meaning THEORETICALLY made in 1978. It looks nearly flawless, a couple of discolored spots on the stock and what looks like a plugged hole for a swivel. The action is very stiff, but the gun has almost no signs of wear. I plan on giving it a VERY thorough cleaning and re-oiling tomorrow to get the action silky smooth, if I can. Then, maybe take it to the range on Sunday!

(Also messin' with my new Surface Go, about the size of the old iPad II, but much, much lighter. And it's a full-blown Win 10 PC, not a tablet)

Yea! The news we've all been waiting for... aside from pics.

Betcha the action will loosen up when you clean out all the old, varnished WD-40 the previous owner squirted in there in a moment of laziness. Of course you could take down the gun completely to get to know its' innards but carb cleaner may work to melt the crap out as well. Follow that with ATF or your favorite gun lube of course.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bang wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:05 pm Speaking of PCCs and .45 ACP, does anyone make a pistol caliber carbine in 45? Especially one that goes with a handgun with matching magazines?
Certainly you can get .45 carbines that share ammo with handguns, which was the original design of the lever action rifles in the Civil War. As for semi-automatics .45 carbines, I know nothing about them. Henry, Marlin, et al make lever-actions in .45 pistol calibers.

Bang wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:05 pm Speaking of PCCs and .45 ACP, does anyone make a pistol caliber carbine in 45? Especially one that goes with a handgun with matching magazines?
Marlin made a gun called the "Camp Carbine" that ate out of 1911 mags. The Beretta storm came in .45, and ate out of, uhhhh.... whatever .45 Beretta made?

The wildcard is Ruger's new PCC. It's clearly made to be modular and convertible, with a quick change barrel, mag well, and breech face, so it wouldn't surprise me if it eventually gets configured to .45.