too many guns.

A place to review and talk about firearms, ammunition, optics, etc.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: too many guns.

#51 Post by K9s » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 pm

Dreamsinger wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:54 pm
No, I think you're being rational and pragmatic. Too many guns is a slippery slope that's too easy to fall into. It's tough to get over the idea that you have to possess them to enjoy them. I pick the best guns for the situations I'm likely to encounter and do my best to be competent with each in it's appropriate context. "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!". While I wouldn't advise just one, the principal applies.
Beware the man with one gun? Barney Fife had one gun. I haven't ever known anyone with one gun who was proficient.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

#52 Post by eelj » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Actually I can think of getting rid of a few handguns, but thinking about it and actually getting off of my dead arse and doing it is another matter. I could get rid of my 45SA plus my 44mag revolvers and then replace them with a Ruger flat top Bisley in 44 spec and have all I need in handguns. Seems like a lot of work though.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#53 Post by lurker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:47 pm

for me the whole gun thing comes out of my interest in history. becoming a reenactor pushed it in the direction of hardware: rifling, ignition systems, metallic cartridges, single-shots, magazines. automatics full and semi. so i guess i would have been ok to stop with my first 2 "modern" guns, the garand and a 1911a1, both pivotal in terms of the technology, just happening to be www2 guns (yes, ok, ww1, korea, and vietnam too). but then there's the broadening of interest into the interaction of technology and doctrine, and the trapdoor, krag (ok, probably could have skipped that, but they are fine rifles within their limits.) m1917 (could just has easily have been an '03) and ar15 become relevant along with the little stories they have to tell. the .22s don't have the stories, nor does the shotgun, and the sks is not so much an american story.

the pistols, well that's another thing altogether. i have a bag of pistols. much more portable. i have a couple of duplicates, and some of them were bought in a quest for the ideal (for me) handgun. smaller than a 1911, bigger than a bauer .25, possibly even a revolver. maybe one day i'll want to be rid of the extras.
:wacko:

Dreamsinger
Been around awhile

#54 Post by Dreamsinger » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 am

K9s wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 pm
Dreamsinger wrote:
No, I think you're being rational and pragmatic. Too many guns is a slippery slope that's too easy to fall into. It's tough to get over the idea that you have to possess them to enjoy them. I pick the best guns for the situations I'm likely to encounter and do my best to be competent with each in it's appropriate context. "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!". While I wouldn't advise just one, the principal applies.
Beware the man with one gun? Barney Fife had one gun. I haven't ever known anyone with one gun who was proficient.
In high school I had one gun, a single shot Anschutz .22 I competed with. A few of us back then had one gun. I was quite proficient then. I'm still quite proficient with most of the guns in my measly 10 gun arsenal. A few of those just aren't worth the time to overcome their built in resistance to being shot well (To wit, a KelTec P11). The only reason I still have them is that they aren't worth the effort it would take to sell them. I RSO at my local range. There's a woman who shows up regularly with her SKS (her only gun) and shoots it exceptionally well. OTOH, I see shooters that I've never seen with the same gun twice that are doing well just to get it on paper. It seems pretty obvious to me that equating the quantity of guns owned with the quality of one's marksmanship is fallacious thinking at best.
"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Emiliano Zapata

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#55 Post by lurker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:56 am

i've seen the same thing in myself. if i take a different gun every time, i'm always climbing the re-learning curve. if i take, say, the 1911 again and again, i get better and better with it. there's a point where i say "good enough (eight of eight on the paper plate) and take something else a couple of times, climb the curve, then the next one. i see those gorgeous tight little nearly all touching groups some of y'all post, and am jealous, but also know i'll never be that good at this rate. it's ok, eight of eight is good enough for me for now, but that's why i don't compete. as someone said, "dat's a dead plate". maybe if i only had 4 or 4 pistols..

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#56 Post by K9s » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Dreamsinger wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 am
K9s wrote:
Dreamsinger wrote:
In high school I had one gun, a single shot Anschutz .22 I competed with. A few of us back then had one gun. I was quite proficient then. I'm still quite proficient with most of the guns in my measly 10 gun arsenal. A few of those just aren't worth the time to overcome their built in resistance to being shot well (To wit, a KelTec P11). The only reason I still have them is that they aren't worth the effort it would take to sell them. I RSO at my local range. There's a woman who shows up regularly with her SKS (her only gun) and shoots it exceptionally well. OTOH, I see shooters that I've never seen with the same gun twice that are doing well just to get it on paper. It seems pretty obvious to me that equating the quantity of guns owned with the quality of one's marksmanship is fallacious thinking at best.
OK, so I was mostly kidding. We grew up with a few hunting rifles. Never handguns. Of course, we were desperately poor and those rifles helped feed us. Handguns were something interesting, but we didn't have the money for them. I know that part of my reason for rarely selling a firearm is because the few we had while growing up were so precious. It's me, not you, Dreamsinger. :)
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

willa1975
Been around awhile

#57 Post by willa1975 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Dreamsinger wrote:
K9s wrote:
Dreamsinger wrote:
This is a big reason why I have decided to whittle down my handgun collection and focus my energy on getting as proficient as possible with one or two handguns and the rifle I hope to have in the not-too-distant future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bajajoaquin
Helpful Contributor

#58 Post by bajajoaquin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:54 am

lurker wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:34 pm
well lets see. long guns:
there's the core collection: usgi main battle rifles
trapdoor
krag
m1917
garand
ar15
Late to the party, but it looks like you’re missing an M-14 series rifle. You should fix that with the space you’re making in your safe.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#59 Post by lurker » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:16 pm

bajajoaquin wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:54 am
Late to the party, but it looks like you’re missing an M-14 series rifle. You should fix that with the space you’re making in your safe.
well, actually :whistle: (shuffles feet)...
i did recently get a polytech m14s chinese clone. there's a thread in hardware/rifles. still wrestling with the rear sight.

bajajoaquin
Helpful Contributor

#60 Post by bajajoaquin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:11 am

Oh, that’s right! I didn’t draw the connection.

I’ll go look there again to see pics....

SubRosa
Chatty

#61 Post by SubRosa » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:45 am

Too many guns makes perfect sense.

'Cause my friends have too many and should give some to me. :evil:

SR
Cliven Bundy was AL's brother...

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#62 Post by lurker » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:59 am

SubRosa wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:45 am
Too many guns makes perfect sense.

'Cause my friends have too many and should give some to me. :evil:

SR
my precioussss...

Sable
Helpful Contributor

#63 Post by Sable » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:24 pm

lurker wrote:
1861 springfield *
trapdoor
krag
----
m1917
garand
m14s (polytech) **
ar15
and then there's the stuff that sorta crept in around the edges: expendable
10/22
mossy 802 plinkster
chinese sks
sportsmans cleveland sxs 12 ga
maybe i should rehome the expendables and then think about how i feel about the matter.

eta: added 1861, m14s
I wouldn't give up any of those firearms besides maybe that Mossy 802

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#64 Post by K9s » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:58 pm

Sable wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:24 pm
lurker wrote:
1861 springfield *
trapdoor
krag
----
m1917
garand
m14s (polytech) **
ar15
and then there's the stuff that sorta crept in around the edges: expendable
10/22
mossy 802 plinkster
chinese sks
sportsmans cleveland sxs 12 ga
maybe i should rehome the expendables and then think about how i feel about the matter.

eta: added 1861, m14s
I wouldn't give up any of those firearms besides maybe that Mossy 802
And add some AK and SKS variants.