too many guns.

:o
i know, heresy. but hear me out.
today on the way to the range a strange notion popped into my head, which was reenforced by the excessive number of malfs i experienced. i have too many guns. like the mother of too many children, or a dog rescuer who has too many dogs, :love: i can't (am unwilling to) dedicate the necessary time and attention to them all. so the ones i enjoy the least need to find new homes. or maybe i just need to sell them all one at a time until i feel the pinch. :confused: it's for their own good, really. :wavecry: talk sense to me, i beg of you.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: too many guns.

Twenty five years ago, I had a Colt AR-15, West German Sig 226, S&W model 19, and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. And I was happy and felt complete. I loved those guns and could shoot them really well.
But I sold them all to pay medical bills. Ever since I have been looking for the guns that would give me that same satisfaction I had then. I just can't find it.
But there are a few that I need to sell. Just haven't got around to it yet. SenorGrand, I like your suggestion. I may just do this.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

You don't need to sell any in order to focus on one or two for a while. I have tons of projects in-progress, and plenty of nifty things to play with when the fancy strikes, but when it is time to grab a gun to take on a shooting trip, it's almost always my bargain rack cut-down Krag.

You could Marie Kondo your gun collection.
“Does this spark joy when I hold it?”

71676E52-C7B5-438B-883C-74AEBCEA53D7.jpeg
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

well lets see. long guns:
there's the core collection: usgi main battle rifles
1861 springfield *
trapdoor
krag
----
m1917
garand
m14s (polytech) **
ar15
and then there's the stuff that sorta crept in around the edges: expendable
10/22
mossy 802 plinkster
chinese sks
sportsmans cleveland sxs 12 ga
maybe i should rehome the expendables and then think about how i feel about the matter.

eta: added 1861, m14s
Last edited by lurker on Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I regret about 50% of the guns I have sold. I think it was a mistake. Regret lists are very personal, so I won't go into the details.

I use the "guilt" method to decide what to shoot each week. Anything I have neglected too long gets serious consideration.

Last week I was in Taos NM and went through the hassle of airport gun check. A real pain. And I did not go shooting while I was there.

But I recently took my two .38 SP double action revolvers out to the range - it was really great.

Storage - that is the key. You just need a place to store the overflow.

I personally think the rotation of firearms makes me a better overall shooter.

max129 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:38 pm Also, please use standard American English for post subjects. The very foreign phrase
"too many guns"
makes no sense to me at all.

Thanks
This is the one post on this thread that makes any sense at all.

Remember, lurker, they don't import some of those firearms any more. Think long and hard before you get rid of the Garand, SKS, etc. At least give one of us a shot at them first, if you do sell. I have a nice SKS collection, for example.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Marlene wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:20 pm You don't need to sell any in order to focus on one or two for a while. I have tons of projects in-progress, and plenty of nifty things to play with when the fancy strikes, but when it is time to grab a gun to take on a shooting trip, it's almost always my bargain rack cut-down Krag.
Agreed. Although my go to gun at this point is probably my P-01 or 22/45. For rifles for some weird reason I still love my VZ 58. Probably because it was the biggest pain in the ass to put together.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 pm
Marlene wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:20 pm You don't need to sell any in order to focus on one or two for a while. I have tons of projects in-progress, and plenty of nifty things to play with when the fancy strikes, but when it is time to grab a gun to take on a shooting trip, it's almost always my bargain rack cut-down Krag.
Agreed. Although my go to gun at this point is probably my P-01 or 22/45. For rifles for some weird reason I still love my VZ 58. Probably because it was the biggest pain in the ass to put together.
LOL

The VZ is my hands down favorite not-an-AK AK-looking rifle. I would have bought two and a parts kit if I knew then what I know now. VZs are awesome!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Yes, VZ’s rule! And Shinzen’s brilliant idea of affixing the mag to load rifle from top w stripper clips makes it a perfectly legal CA rifle, pistol grip and all.

Well, I was actually thinking of putting my Finnish Mosin M91 in the LGS (the one I got from CD) simply because I don’t shoot it very often and it’s so damned long it doesn’t fit well into my safe. The good guys there explained that all the Finnish Mosins are pretty much done in Finland and what’s here Stateside is pretty much all we will see in the future... meaning the prices will only go up from this point forward.

During our conversation he found an original Finnish bayonet for my M91 in his stash and offered to sell it to me with the leather scabbard... The price he gave was slightly less than what I paid for just a cleaning rod shipped from Finland. Ended up buying the bayo to complete my collection.

Afflictionado ...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

K9s wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:25 pm
shinzen wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 pm
LOL

The VZ is my hands down favorite not-an-AK AK-looking rifle. I would have bought two and a parts kit if I knew then what I know now. VZs are awesome!
Mine was built from a parts kit and I adore it. Others may not find it as appealing, but frankly, I don't care. Mine is my precious. With a beech stock instead of beaver barf.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Bisbee wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 pm Yes, VZ’s rule! And Shinzen’s brilliant idea of affixing the mag to load rifle from top w stripper clips makes it a perfectly legal CA rifle, pistol grip and all.

Well, I was actually thinking of putting my Finnish Mosin M91 in the LGS (the one I got from CD) simply because I don’t shoot it very often and it’s so damned long it doesn’t fit well into my safe. The good guys there explained that all the Finnish Mosins are pretty much done in Finland and what’s here Stateside is pretty much all we will see in the future... meaning the prices will only go up from this point forward.

During our conversation he found an original Finnish bayonet for my M91 in his stash and offered to sell it to me with the leather scabbard... The price he gave was slightly less than what I paid for just a cleaning rod shipped from Finland. Ended up buying the bayo to complete my collection.

Afflictionado ...
I wish I'd invented the idea, but I happily stole the idea. :) And because of it I still have all the features.
- Maya Angelou

The way I deal with this is to set a number limit on my collection. Any more then that number is a "CRAZY" amount, almost "ARSENAL" status according to the media. If I really want to buy a new gun, I force myself to give one (or more) up. In fact I recently traded four for one, even money. This gave me the opportunity to upgrade to better stuff. Although, I am running out of things I don't want to see go. So, maybe this isn't the right plan for someone without a whole hell of a lot of self control.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

I have a friend and shooting buddy that says her guns are like children to her, and she would never dream of giving them up for adoption.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I am approaching one in, one out. I have pretty much culled the ones I don’t love. Two issues:

I still want the Dan Wesson Bruin 1911 that has a siren’s song that nearly draws me onto the rocks every time I walk by it.

In the long term, I have no progeny or even nephews and nieces who would have any interest in any of them so I probably should thin the herd and sell some of them.

But I do love them so.