Long Range Shooter

A place to review and talk about firearms, ammunition, optics, etc.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Long Range Shooter

#51 Post by K9s » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:38 pm

6.5 Creedmoor meets Henry Lever Action? My savings account may be in danger now.

The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

NegativeApproach
Been around awhile

#52 Post by NegativeApproach » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:14 pm

Another vote for 6.5 Creedmore. I can hit clays (needing to dial in a bit) at 800 yards. It takes me a full mag to get 3-4 of them. The good thing about .308 is the consistent drop, but the drop over 6.5 is significant. I like how flat 6.5 shoots, and I think I'm dialed down about half as much to find my dope with 6.5 as I would be with .308 at about 800 yards (I haven't done the calculations, just a rough guess). There's nothing wrong with .308. It's a great all around cartridge, but I think it's great from 200-600 yards. I think from 500-1000 yards, 6.5 creedmore shines really well. If you're going over 1200 yards and still want significant power, I think you'd need to upgrade to .338 lapua or maybe .416.

I don't see the point in comparing 6.5 creedmore to .308, because they have much different applications. Just like people don't generally do an apples to apples comparrison of 5.56 to .308.

I consider long range to be 600 yards and further, so at that range, you start to see the limitations of .308. That's why 6.5 creedmore (or any 6.5 really) is a great intermediary until you get into those larger calibers at even longer distances.

Mikeinmich
Verified Member
Verified Member

#53 Post by Mikeinmich » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:19 pm

So all of this got me thinking about my Garand again (since it’s the only longer range “heavy” rifle I own). It’s a 30-06 and has very little recoil (at least to me) probably because it’s heavy. Long story short, I found this interesting article on the 30-06 comparing it to the .308, 6.5 cm etc.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/30-06-sprin ... e-hunting/

It looks like they are close enough that I think that Marlene is right (again) that it isn’t worth replacing one you have, particularly if it doesn’t have too much recoil and you’re already good at it - buy/make more ammunition and just shoot it.

I just bought a ported has plug for the Ganand (the one that you don’t have to adjust) to be able to use regular ammunition, and I have an (evil) a mega scout scope mount (with a 1x4x Burris) on it already. I know my limits are ultimately going to be the available optics (there are match barrels out there and I could just buy this abomination- https://ustacticalsupply.com/sageintern ... stock.aspx - if I want a bipod, better cheek weld with a scope etc) but I’m just not that good right now and I only have a 300 yard range here.

I salivate at the cool long range stuff or AR-10s but I have more than enough guns and I still don’t shoot enough now.

And there’s the ping.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#54 Post by K9s » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:37 pm

The 30-06 Garand is enough gun for anyone. I often wish I had one.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

eelj
Verified Member
Verified Member

#55 Post by eelj » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:39 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34RqMoyMZmI Ernie Jiminez has a channel devoted to long range shooting. He uses mostly milsurp rifles. This vid is with an M1 at 1000yds.

SpaceRanger42
Verified Member
Verified Member

#56 Post by SpaceRanger42 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:32 pm

I too waffle between choices for along range gun. I have dies for 30-06 and .308 already and will probably pick up 6.5 at some point. I know that I want a scout rifle in .308. I know I want something in 30-06. I am tempted by several Ruger and Savage products that are available for 6.5.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.
Yes, I haz a moose. :D