My Wife just OK'd my Getting a .308!

A place to review and talk about firearms, ammunition, optics, etc.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: My Wife just OK'd my Getting a .308!

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Nice! Boyd's is ideal because they are the source for Windham's wood laminate furniture.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Birthday boy.... When do we see the birthday present?
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

K9s wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 pm
Birthday boy.... When do we see the birthday present?
Hah! I haven't seen it yet. The LGS ordered it, but when it comes in they will ping me to come examine it before they make it New Jersey compliant. I did call to check on it yesterday...Today is the first of my next 364 UNbirthdays! :yahoo: :yahoo: :thumbup: :beer2:
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

:hbd:
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Weird but not unpleasant b'day, because everyone on less than 4 legs was gone. Older son interning in Eugene, Wife taking younger son to camp. But we celebrated 2 nights earlier at our favorite sushi house where I had AMAZINGLY good cold saki.

But on my b'day, I opened a bottle of Clèment Rhum Vieux 1970 that was bottled in 1991, and has been sitting in my basement since 1997(?) along with 5 others, and some of the 1952. I hadn't tasted 1970 in 15(?) years. OMG! Better than I remembered it! When I first tried it, it was about $40/bottle Now you can't TOUCH the stuff for less than $600 (No fuckin' kidding!) From bargain to boutique!
I usually drink a glass of '52 on my birthday--so a bottle lasts years, but it ran out last year.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Personally, I would love the saki. I used to love that stuff. Glad you had some canines to keep you safe on your birthday!

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

K9s wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:32 pm
Personally, I would love the saki. I used to love that stuff. Glad you had some canines to keep you safe on your birthday!
The saki was "Sesshu Otokoyama". Smoooooth!

Only one canine now and she's a sweetie but useless. Still recovering from a stroke, but she was useless before that. But a total love. A totally unique Belgian Tervuren--brainless and useless. Every other Terv or Belgian Sheepdog has been both super-intelligent and very protective. But she epitomizes "pet".

Two felines, one of whom thinks his first name is "Dammit!" but he's a bold and friendly orange Garfield-like cat.

geno
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by geno »

Congrats on the 308 and your birthday; personally at 69 I'm happiest with the no fuss birthday and the company of four legged friends suits me just fine.
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

It's arrived at the LGS! Now I need to wait for their smith to make it NJ Compliant, which means the flash suppressor comes off, and the muzzle break goes on, and is welded and pinned. Meanwhile I took care of the N.I.C.S., and the NJ purchase form. I expected it to be a bit longer (pleased it's not) and it's a bit heavier than I expected, but not bad. The store manager scared me saying "the wood doesn't look right with lots of lines!" I explained its laminate, not machined from a single piece. It looked EXACTLY as I expected to. Can't wait to actually start shooting it in!
20190727_Windham.jpg

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Gorgeous!

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Can barely wait for range time! I'm going to have to see how I like the grip (I expect I will) before I consider replacing it with a matching wood laminate one.
And it needs a scope mounted. Otherwise, it's "sight unseen!" :roflmao:

Oh! And some boo-lets !

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Does NJ allow pistol grips?

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

K9s wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:22 pm
Does NJ allow pistol grips?
Yes! The asshole who wanted to go to one instead of 2 items defining an "assault weapon" for rifles with a detachable magazine, changing what's legal here got ignored! We have 40 state districts, and each has 1 senator and 2 assembly-persons. This senator and his 2 APs were the only ones interested in his bill so it died.
Under New Jersey law, a firearm is classified as an "assault firearm" if it meets the following criteria

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and at least two of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher mount

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and at least two of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator (does not include the slide of a pistol)
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with at least two of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
A magazine capacity exceeding six rounds
An ability to accept a detachable magazine
“Assault firearm” shall not include a semi-automatic rifle which has an attached tubular device and which is capable of operating only with .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
The Kel-Tec Sub2K squeaks by the "telescoping stock" because you must disassemble the firearm to adjust the stock, and the stock doesn't fold, the barrel does, and, when folded, cannot fire.
The asshole wanted Kel-Tecs to be on the banned list of "assault weapons".

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Ordered extra 10-round (NJ legal) mags (comes with one 5-round), and various kinds of ammo. And I have an inexpensive UTG 3-9x32 scope for it, also an inexpensive Sig Whiskey scope as well. I'll see which I like better. Plus, of course, a .308 bore sight. I'm hoping it handles the cheap Russian steel-cased stuff well. Otherwise VERY expensive to shoot. Now just waiting on tenterhooks for the smith to finish compliance.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

that's a nice looking rifle. lately i've been shooting magtech 7.62x51 ball m80, box of 50 for $33. that's 66 cents a round. brass, made in brazil. not strictly speaking .308

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

I don't know if the Hunter is rated for 7.62x51 (NATO) but, in theory, a .308 should be able to handle NATO rounds (opposite of .223--has to be rated for 5.56 NATO). When I pick the rifle up, I'll check the manual. I ordered some cheap Tula, some Legend 147gr, and some Winchester 147gr, all FMJ.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

just recently started shooting 7.62/.308, so i don't know what's best/cheapest.
i have this thing, silly, i know. i don't buy stuff from russia if i have a choice. it's bad enough i buy stuff from china.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

I wondered how the brass 7.62x51 compares to cheap steel 308. Accuracy the same? Let me know. I am almost in the 308 game, too.

SubRosa
Chatty

Post by SubRosa »

Don't go putting regular in your Ferrari!

Steel case Russki has a history of kabooms in several types of .308 guns. Pass. :thumbsdown:

Likewise, pass on anything from Venezuela, India, Pakistan, Ethiopia. Winchester NATO is miserably inaccurate. :no:

Get Hirtenberger (Austrian), GGG (Lithuanian), MEN (German), PPU (Serbian), Federal NATO, ZQ1, Malaysian. South African, Brit, Magtek (Brazilian) good, too. :thumbup: All these are 7.62X51 M80 ball.

You can get most of these around .40/pop + ship. There is too little time to shoot, let alone reload. Recycle your brass, donate the $ to the LGC.

From a guy that runs thousands of NATO rounds a year through hard-fought classic rifles.

S u b R o s a
Last edited by SubRosa on Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We all come here to drink from the Fountain of Madness.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

i've been using magtech 7.62x51 from brazil with my new-to-me rifle, $32.96 for 50, 66 cents each, brass. seems good, no basis for comparison. dangit. i'll get dies and reload at some point, meanwhile accumulating empty brass.
Last edited by lurker on Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Thanks for that info!

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Heck, I'm still waiting for the gun smith to make it NJ compliant.... Hoping to get it over the weekend or early next week.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

YT...what is the Boyd's stock color and the Cerakote color?

Thanks!

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

senorgrand wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:16 pm
YT...what is the Boyd's stock color and the Cerakote color?

Thanks!
Um, the only color I know is "nutmeg" and no idea the cerakote. Might be on Windham Weaponry's website?

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

Ok, thanks!

I'm looking at a compliant rifle with "Coyote" stocks, but can't find a Cerakote color to compliment them.

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.