I just bought a Smith n Wesson!

I will have it in ten days. This will be my first revolver (okay I had a Heritage rough rider but that doesn't really count), it's a 686 4" barrel and it's beautiful.
I am planning on buying a box of 38 special and a box of .357 magnum to see how it feels like and then I will shoot my own reloads. What bullets should I start experimenting with the first time? It would be for target shooting. Also I have been using HP38 with my 9mm and .45ACP and I hope to continue with this powder.

Re: I just bought a Smith n Wesson!

Good for you. Smith and Wesson's are great guns, a true classic. And with just a tiny amount of care your great great great grandchild can use it.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Don’t buy 38 brass. If you’re buying brass, buy the longer 357 cases regardless of what you plan to load in them.

I favor the Bear Creek 125 rnfp over the max listed trail boss load for 357, which is about as strong as a light 38 load. (Trail boss is a powder designed for light loads)

If you don’t wanna buy the 357 cases, I have a TON of 38 brass I don’t use. You can have a gallon if you want. I think starline 357 is a better choice.

I have been reloading for the 357 for many years. Quite easy to find great loads. I have narrowed it down to just 3. 148 grain wadcutter seated flush with the case mouth over the same charge of bullseye that I use for 38spec.

A 158gr RNFP bullet that I cast and size my self over 4.5 grains of red dot which gives me a standard 38spec type load.

And the same bullet over a mag load of 2400 for a load that is hot enough to do anything a mag can do. All using mag brass and standard primers. The carbon ring build up in the cylinder from shooting 38s is a real thing and something to avoid if possible.

Marlene wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:25 pm 158 or 125 grain Bear Creek bullets over a max charge (still quite light) of Trail Boss. Use the 357 cases to avoid chamber fouling, but the loads will be much lighter.
Why didn't I think of this????? You are still my idol.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I'm very exited, I dreamed about it last night. I tried the trigger in the store, very smooth! I also like it's weight and how it feels in my hand .
I am going to order starline brass at midway.
I also need to get the dies,should I get the Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set? it would be for a Dillon 550. They seem to be the most affordable and they have been working well with my 9mm and .45ACP.

Pomme wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:04 pm I'm very exited, I dreamed about it last night.
Some years ago, I was looking for my first conceal carry gun. I was a regular shopper at a particular gun store. One day I walked in and one salesman called my name and said, "I've got the perfect conceal carry gun for you!" He showed me a S&W Pro-series 640. It was used, but immaculate. Trigger smooth as butter. So I put it on lay-a-way. A few weeks later I was window shopping at the same store. That same salesman walked up and handed me the 640 I had on layaway. I said, "Oh, I'm not here to get it out of layaway." He grinned and said, "I know, I just figured you were here for a conjugal visit."

I finally got it Saturday, cleaned it, loaded a few rounds and took it to the range today. It was my first time shooting a .357 and my only other revolver experience was with a .22 heritage Rough Rider. It was very nice to shoot. I started by shooting 60 reloads and then 10 store bought self defense rounds. Those self defense rounds are pretty damn powerful, but the gun still felt and shot great. Lots of fun.

Here is a piece of trivia I found on Wikipedia:
The LAPD's Model 15 revolvers (and department issued Model 36 5-shot, 2-inch barrelled snub nose Smith & Wesson revolvers for detectives, plainclothes, undercover and other officers' off duty carry) were modified to be fired double-action only. This was accomplished by the department armorer who ground the full cock notch from the hammers. Officers were then trained to shoot combat style without ever cocking the weapons. This change was likely the result of unintended injuries and/or property damage, and of litigation against the LAPD after officers had cocked their weapons only to have them discharge inadvertently, possibly as a result of physical attacks or having been startled in the course of searching for suspects. In lawsuits, the principle of res ipsa loquitur was easily affirmed because "an inadvertent weapon discharge is a negligent discharge".[
Oops !

Marlene wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:55 am FYI, the defense loads I prefer in 357 revolvers is really 38+P. The FBI felt the same way when they ran revolvers and it’s even more true with modern bullet technology
Why? Overpenetration?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

An update: I've had this gun for about four month now. It took me a few sessions to get used to it as it is so different from a semi-automatic. I've been reloading 158gr semiwadcutters in .357 and 148gr wadcutters in 38 special for it.
I'm not the best shot but I'm still pretty pleased with myself and the gun. I shot 82 rounds of 148gr 38 specials and on the same target shot another 83 rounds of 158gr .357 magnum.
82 38 special WC.jpg
That was about a month ago. I have adjusted the windage since.
Attachments
82 38 special WC & 83 .357 Mag SWC.jpg