Hot or cold bluing?

In my other thread about building a Yugo M72 RPK I mentioned that I need to blue a replacement barrel. Realistically I should reblue the entire rifle as the finish is pretty worn all over and I'd like a consistent look.

In the factory these were hot caustic blued. After reading up on it that's seems harder than what I'm able to do at home. I have found a local place that will do bluing, not sure how much yet but I assume around $200.

The other option would be to cold blue at home. I've seen this done well on the internet with small patch jobs and pistols but I haven't seen a lot of info on people doing it for an entire rifle.

So my questions for the more knowledgeable minds out there are:
Is hot bluing going to give a much better result such that the cost and sacrifice of doing my own work worth it?
How hard is it to get a consistent result from cold bluing over a large surface area?
Are there any cold bluing products people recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Hot or cold bluing?

It really depends on a lot of variables. Having someone else do it will probably mean it is done well and warrantied in case something goes wrong.

How much is your time worth? If you can afford the shop, go for it.

Do you want it to last for years? If not, just do the cold bluing and it should be fine. You can always reapply bluing if you want.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

If you have access to a rotary grinder with a polishing wheel, I'd feel better about the possibility of overlapping the cold blue.

Or you could go with my idea when I Google imaged "Yugo M72 RPK": All chrome finish with an image of Stormy Daniels etched on the magazine. :thumbup:
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

I have a Model 1906 Winchester "Gallery Gun" that someone started to restore. He had the frame/receiver beautifully casehardened. I finished the job with cold bluing the barrel and magazine, rinsing them in the bathroom sink. Quick job. It turned out gorgeous. Did not strip the barrel or magazine. Just blued over them. Impressive results.

alamohoward wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:43 am I have a Model 1906 Winchester "Gallery Gun" that someone started to restore. He had the frame/receiver beautifully casehardened. I finished the job with cold bluing the barrel and magazine, rinsing them in the bathroom sink. Quick job. It turned out gorgeous. Did not strip the barrel or magazine. Just blued over them. Impressive results.
Pics?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt