Re: age of owned guns

shinzen wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:13 am
Marlene wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:17 am I can reload the Garand more than twice as fast as the M14. Removable box magazine seems like it should be an advantage, but that might be the slowest one ever devised.
That said, if one has 20 round mags for the M14, then the advantage in capacity is substantial enough to offset the reloading time. Maybe.
You could spend the money (https://xproducts.com/product/50-round- ... y-magazine) and get a 50 round drum for the M1A/M14.

bajajoaquin wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:07 pm I think you can have one, but you can't have assembled belts of more than 10 rounds.
Correct. Although I do wonder if freedom week applied to belters as well? Haven't looked into that at all, but definitely missed an opportunity if they did.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

The strongest weapon in the world is a marine and his rifle. Mujahideen fighters in Afghanistan were often armed old SMLES fighting the soviets. Of course they ditched them for AKs as soon as they could. Although obsolete don't underestimate old 100+ year old firearms. Although if I had to use a 100+ year old gun for home defense I'm going with a model 97 trench gun. Fix bayonet and slam fire while singing Over There. The Kaiser won't make them a warcrimes.
"There are dozens of us. DOZENS"

There is an almost unrealistic expectation of reliability placed on new guns. The army requires 495 MRBF (mean rounds between failures) subjected to the M1911, that’s about one jam every 30 mags of 17. Glocks and CZs go north of 2100 rounds between failures, or one jam for 120+ mags. I’m sure that newer SIG and S&W M&P pistols are similarly reliable.

The civilian market here means any new gun can be instantly subjected to real world testing by thousands to millions of users. Every little issue is scrutinized. The SIG P320 handily passed army testing, yet civilian users discovered that it’s not always drop-safe. When Glock released their gen 4 with dual recoil spring assembly, people quickly discovered issues with it.

People don’t raise a stink when older guns jam once between several mags, they consider it par for the course.

If my life depends on it, I’d pick a modern gun that has been tested by every Tom, Dick, Harry and Bubba out there. If it’s just a range toy, then anything goes.
Glad that federal government is boring again.