I finally got to go shooting again.

Well, I didn't get anything new, be I did finally get to go shooting.

As I have mentioned in the past, the range where I live has been closed for a while. The range is built over the city leach fields, which makes quite a bit is sense. However, lately, it has been closed for sewer repairs. Further, the city office that one goes to, to get the keys, has been closed due to COVID-19. All the while I have had my new 22tcm carbine just waiting to be shot.

The result of this is that the only time I have been shooting was on trips out of state. Thee is a range near where I g in Missouri that I frequent. I expect that, at some point, I will become a member of that club. I was aware of a range in a town about forty miles away. I called that cities office and confirmed that the range was still open and I was assured that it was.

I was a bit concerned that I was unable to find anything that looked like a range on Google Maps. But I had a pretty good idea where it was. So I loaded in some rifles and headed off. I took my new 22tcm carbine, My Remington 572 .22lr rifle, a rather generic .22lr AR, and the Glock 42 on my belt.

It took me a while to find the place. After a couple of false starts, I saw an opening forming a gate with a couple of patrol cars stopped near. As I turned toward them to ask where the range was, I saw it behind them.

The range was nothing really special, in fact, it looked to me like a dump range. By that I mean dump sites that people also shoot at. But the deputies had confirmed that I was at the right place.

The first I shot was the .22tcm. Frankly, I am very happy with it. I do not have iron sights at all, so I had put a scope on it and had done nothing more than eyeball aligned it. It turned out that I had done pretty well. As far as shooting it, I was surprised by the light recoil. I had been told to expect it to be horrifically loud, but with my earmuffs on, I didn’t notice anything outlandish. It only occurred to me later that I could have used a sound meter on my phone to be able to quantify the report, but I didn’t think of it at the time

The only one that disappointed me was the Remington 572. It is a relatively new rifle and has had several feeding problems. It was finally taken out of action by an odd double feed. I don’t like the idea of putting a loaded rifle back in the jeep, but I had little choice, it was thoroughly jammed. The only saving comment to the poor practice of putting a loaded rifle back in the cases to go home is that the bolt was not closed, the double-feed made it impossible to close the bolt.

The .22lr AR almost worked flawlessly. However, at one point a round made its way into the trigger group in the lower. It got quite thoroughly wedged in there and, in the process of removing it, the bullet and casing separated. It didn’t happen again and I did quite a bit of shooting with that one. It is an easy rifle to put my Mantis shot analyzer on and shooting for mantis score while knocking the rubbish that others had left behind was a bit of fun.

After that, I returned to the .22tcm. At that point, I had been shooting quite a bit of rimfire and felt that I had a good reference point for the .22tcm’s recoil. In full disclosure, I was not using a similar platform in the .22lr to compare to. I had been shooting a .22lr AR with the buffer and spring removed, as they are not needed for .22lr. However, in comparison to the 22tcm from a bolt action rifle, the 22tcm actually felt like less recoil than the 22lr. Again, this was with no measurements, it just felt like less.

Of course, I also went through all of my magazines on my daily carry pistol, a Glock 42. In all, a fairly good day shooting.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40