Dry Fire Trainers

I was watching one of the outdoor sports channels a week or so ago and saw these cartridges that you could put into the chamber of your gun and when you pulled the trigger it would activate a laser and it was like you were shooting target practice. I thought it was a really neat idea but, before I bought any of them, I figured I would throw a thread up and see what my fellow LGC members had to say about their experiences with them.

The commercial I saw was for g-sight

https://www.g-sight.com/

and I looked on amazon and I found the Pink Rhino for cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Rhino-Laser ... 4V37TBRPVM

what do you guys think? have you tried them before? would it be a good investment? I need to keep up my target practice but, with how hard it is to get ammo, I don't want to use up my stock.

Re: Dry Fire Trainers

I just ordered iTarget. Same idea: laser through the bore and comes with a target and stand that you link to an iPhone app and it calculates where you hit, records score, you can do quick-draw mode, etc. $99 shipped, which is not cheap, but based on ammo supply and prices I figure that is a few boxes at the range, but this can be done at home, helps with dry fire, is more interactive than just point and shoot so could be worth it in the long run.

Have not received it yet, but I will update once I give it some turns.

wings wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:12 pm If you look on the shop page for this rando bunch of gun nuts I found online somewhere, they have similar systems that'll tie to a smartphone for shot analysis.

https://theliberalgunclub.com/product/m ... e-systems/
Warning - avoid the comments section. They're a bunch of loons.
that looks cool but, its something you attach, where as the ones I am looking at are basically just shells with snap caps that goes right in the chamber.

I appreciate though, I will definitely do some more research.

CDFingers wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:21 am Pricey but fun-looking. So far I'm still snap capping.

CDFingers
yeah these just add to that, they are snap caps but, they have a laser inside of them and you can use your smart phone or tablet as the target and its like virtual target practice. my best friend said they used something similar when he was going to school for Criminal justice.

keenanmj85 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:41 pm I just ordered iTarget. Same idea: laser through the bore and comes with a target and stand that you link to an iPhone app and it calculates where you hit, records score, you can do quick-draw mode, etc. $99 shipped, which is not cheap, but based on ammo supply and prices I figure that is a few boxes at the range, but this can be done at home, helps with dry fire, is more interactive than just point and shoot so could be worth it in the long run.

awesome, can't wait to hear what you think of it.

ARC1107 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:29 pm
keenanmj85 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:41 pm I just ordered iTarget. Same idea: laser through the bore and comes with a target and stand that you link to an iPhone app and it calculates where you hit, records score, you can do quick-draw mode, etc. $99 shipped, which is not cheap, but based on ammo supply and prices I figure that is a few boxes at the range, but this can be done at home, helps with dry fire, is more interactive than just point and shoot so could be worth it in the long run.

awesome, can't wait to hear what you think of it.
Got it all set up today. After putting a new front fiber sight on my carry pistol I used iTarget to do some fine tuning sight adjustment and then spent about an hour dry fire practicing. Makes it way more engaging, tracks you scores, marks you hits to evaluate patterns and errors, and makes for way more realistic practice.

Two thumbs way up, way better than what many of the other dry fire laser setups looked like.

Having recently bought a CZ P-07, and discovered that my muscle memory for striker-fired pistols doesn't play as well with a DA/SA trigger in DA mode, I've burned through a few boxes of bullets trying to build some skill level.

Then I remembered seeing the Mantis X2 in the LGC store, and did some reading, and I'm reviving this thread.

Yeah, I get it, it hangs from the "chin" of the frame, so I can't practice drawing from a holster that isn't molded accordingly (I anticipate the P-07 becoming my EDC, or one of my frequent carry pieces, to go with the P-10C and P-10S and the rarely-used M&P Shield).

But for the money, I can buy between 250 and 300 9mm 115fmj noise-makers.

On the other hand (thank you, Tevye), my spouse and I can use this with any of the P-10x guns in the collection, at home, at will, and it offers drills that *should* improve my skill at semi-rapid target acquisition and hole punching accuracy.

So it's on its way to me. Hopefully the good folks who manage the site get a nickel or two out of the purchase price to help keep things going well.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

I have used a laser cartridge for years. I believe mine are LaserLyte brand 9mm Luger. I’ve been looking into my options for 38 Special. A few years back there was a six pack for revolvers at a reasonable price. The brand I looked at before no longer sells a six or five pack, but individual. The individual price is a bit steep.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I now have a Mantis X2, from the LGC store! The USPS only took two extra days to get it here (Thanks, LeJoy!), and it was another couple days before I could tinker with it (if it had arrived when expected, I could have tinkered with it five days earlier! Thanks, GQP jerks fouling up the USPS... :evil:

Anyway...

I found the Liberal Gun Club group, and the Liberal Gun Owners group, and joined both. I've fired (with snap caps in the chamber) the better part of two hundred times with the Mantis X2 in use, mostly just basic target shooting so far. It can be disconcerting to see that the thing suggests I'm "heeling" or "thumbing" or using too much trigger finger or too little trigger finger when I *THINK* I'm holding the gun pretty still, but as I experiment with it and with my own proprioception/kinesthesia, I hope to become a more stable shooting platform.

Side note: When I took up photography (another hobby that can get expensive rather rapidly), it didn't take me long to realize that what I learned about shooting in high school ROTC would help me be a better photographer, in that I could do shots "hand held" better than some of my classmates (but still with poor results compared to using a tripod and shutter release cable--this in the early 1990s before shutter timers and digital photography...). I could get readable images at 1/4-second shutter times if I concentrated!

Anyway, my average score for the roughly 140 "shots" I've taken so far is in the mid-80s, so I have some room for improvement--and that's in untimed target shooting. I have no illusion that I will do well right away in rapid "find target, hit target" shooting, but having this thing give me feedback so that I can improve was the point.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.