Supporting LGS vs ordering from away

I’ve tried to support local stores when possible. Still, I have had specific items that I have wanted to buy and they have not acted interested in placing special orders at all. They’ll say wait times are long and unpredictable etc. They don’t even express interest in putting me on a list to call if/when certain guns come in. It’s like the opposite of when you ask about a book at a local bookstore, where they invariably immediately ask if they can special order it for you if they do not have it in stock. One LGS has even indicated something was basically entirely unavailable when I know there are dozens of the same item on GB at any given time.

So I went ahead and ordered from an out of state dealer on GB. That meant credit card fee, shipping, and when it comes, transfer fee. I’m waiting on it now.

Check this out. While I’m waiting, the exact same item comes in at the very store where I intend to do the transfer. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I had no way of knowing.

Re: Supporting LGS vs ordering from away

The LGS usually don't compete with online prices. Their only path to survival is through service and product knowledge. I try to shop locally but I won't pay a premium for no benefit and I have a long memory of how people and organizations behave during tight times.
If your LGS didn't feel like telling you the item was on order and they'd call, you're not getting service. If they didn't know the item was ordered and due in, they have no knowledge to share... no point in dealing with them.
I'm glad Amazon has no interest in getting a FFL, that would bring about the near instantaneous extinction of the LGS.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

I support the LGS through FFL, literally something for basically nothing, as well as targets and ammo, when ammo was a thing. Honestly, I feel the same about bikes and the local bike shop...I will go in for parts and to browse and pick up random stuff here and there, as well as maintenance/tune-ups, but I am so picky with my larger purchases I often know exactly what I want and it is just way easier to find online rather than hoping it appears locally. It's a tough balance between wanting to support local with also having the luxury of much larger selection online.

Their price on this item was exactly what I’m paying on GB, minus the Cc fee, shipping, and now the transfer. They could have so easily had this sale from me. I think it’s possible that local stores just don’t feel the need to do more in terms of procuring things that aren’t in stock because the items that they do have are literally flying off the shelves. But if I had one of these stores I’d try to create a system for keeping track of what customers are seeking and giving them a call when it’s on the way.

My LGS were pretty sloppy on mask discipline during the pandemic. But they generally wore them. They also were a named sponsor for the local Juneteenth festival. I’ve had a decent amount of FFL stuff sent there, and I’ve bought at least 5 or so guns from them in the past 5 years or so. They usually have decent enough prices. They are literally a half mile away and the closest retail establishment. No Trump signs like a few of the other places; and I have seen them be very helpful to POC & treated the same. I’m sure they are at least Romney republicans, but they never rub it in. One old guy there always wants to shoot the bull about military history, so they get my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to say my recent experience with Turners Outdoorsman was excellent.

I asked about the SP101 and they offered to put me on a list with deposit to hold place in line. Then called when the immaculate used one came in.
My other very small LGS just took my name and said everything is on order and they would call.

Customer service is everything. I'll never buy online.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I've the lovely choice of local dealers who ran Trump flags up through November, big box retail, or a decent drive. At least the flags came down by December. Better than I can say for a lot of other locals. Some places, going small & local means doing business with those Proud Boy and Oathbreaker types.

Now, Vance does have a little bit of mixed reputation for service as a hybrid big-box outdoor store and LGS. One of the nice things about the place, got to talk to the owner about the pandemic response, hanging around out front. During the first lockdown, they got slammed, hard. They worked out a system to make appointments online with masks, social distancing and extensive cleaning, and got the health department's approval to open back up. They were rigorous about mask protocol when we had requirements and remain supportive since delta. That hit their Google reviews, I tell you what. Now sometimes their online ads don't match what's in stock. Guns that were never marked up last year sure are this year. But. I've had good service. Not fast, but good.

Like Invictus, I've little doubt they're DeWine - Romney Republicans. Seeing more MAGA type vehicles in the parking lot this summer, but the Columbus Metro is pretty left for a red state. Not savvy to alienate lefties who suddenly want to arm up when the neofascists come out of the woodwork.

My favorite LGS doesn't play that bullshit. If they do NOT have the gun you wanted in their stock and you get it, say, from GB, they just charge you the FFL/NICS fee.
But if they can get it for you, they warn you they'll charge you $100 extra for the transfer. I've gotten two from them they had listed on their web site, a Ruger 1771, and a Windham Hunter, and 3 they didn't, a old Marlin JM 1894, a Taurus Tracker, and P320 x (for my son).

I've yet to have a problem with them. And we don't talk politics.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

wings wrote:I've the lovely choice of local dealers who ran Trump flags up through November, big box retail, or a decent drive. At least the flags came down by December. Better than I can say for a lot of other locals. Some places, going small & local means doing business with those Proud Boy and Oathbreaker types.

Now, Vance does have a little bit of mixed reputation for service as a hybrid big-box outdoor store and LGS. One of the nice things about the place, got to talk to the owner about the pandemic response, hanging around out front. During the first lockdown, they got slammed, hard. They worked out a system to make appointments online with masks, social distancing and extensive cleaning, and got the health department's approval to open back up. They were rigorous about mask protocol when we had requirements and remain supportive since delta. That hit their Google reviews, I tell you what. Now sometimes their online ads don't match what's in stock. Guns that were never marked up last year sure are this year. But. I've had good service. Not fast, but good.

Like Invictus, I've little doubt they're DeWine - Romney Republicans. Seeing more MAGA type vehicles in the parking lot this summer, but the Columbus Metro is pretty left for a red state. Not savvy to alienate lefties who suddenly want to arm up when the neofascists come out of the woodwork.
Yeah, I patronize Vances here in Lebanon, OH as well. Their FFL process is in my view, overly rigorous with like 2 “manager checks” (I should just be able to show my CHL, per state law.).

However, they have reasonable firearm prices and a decent reloading section (tho, like everywhere else you have to be lucky.) Factory ammo still hasn’t for the most part been at I price where I will buy - but it’s available. I bought some Fiocci Golden Pheasant shot shells for hunting this fall - but those are always expensive.

They aren’t overt about politics, but I do avoid conversations with the customers; Becuase it’s trump country down here in Rural SW Ohio. Overall, a nice store with a good selection of outdoors related items and not a rip-off like like gander mountain used to be. They have to be competitive with online prices and 2 Cabelas in short driving distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk