Re: What prevents people from building their own guns?

sikacz wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:22 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:59 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:53 am Perfectly legal in MOST states to build your own and repair anything you own. Anti gun types would like to demonize making guns which people have been able to do since before our country was a nation. Search 80 percent receivers, legal to finish on your own and buy components. The reality is the media and the anti gun movement like catchy terms, like ghost guns. Mixing 80 percent lowers with no serial numbers with defaced guns where criminals remove serial numbers is part of the propaganda to ban or require an FFL for all gun related transactions. The result would be that only those with more money could afford guns, people of limited means are restrained by cost. That is also part of their strategy. The issue really is, if anything is solved or fundamentally addressed by banning or limiting home built firearms. The answer is nothing. If the media and police were clear and truthful the real numbers would be revealed and panic averted. There is a difference between defaced and home built firearms that do not have serial numbers. That all said, the transfer or selling of home built firearms needs to meet all federal requirements, that leads to a FFL in some instances and a engraved serial number. Check laws before selling any firearms. Personal use does not require either in most locals. This ghost gun hysteria is a manufactured non issue.
In states like mine, you MUST have a serialized firearm unless it is an antique or not capable of firing. 80% lowers that are not serialized can lead to felony charges. Better to spend a little extra on a serialized lower receiver (or whatever part of the gun you are assembling is legally considered "the gun"--like on Sig P320s it's the fire control unit, essentially the trigger mechanism, which can be paired with other slide assemblies, barrels, grips, and magazines.).
Which is why I said most. I don’t care to have your state’s authoritarianism or California’s or New York’s exported to federal law. Address the underlying causes. There is no benefit from your states restrictions, they just give police more leverage and work to deny the people with least means. How about zero percent lowers...never mind. I’m not going to continue this discussion since it’s one that been beaten to death. Haven’t had my morning coffee either and that makes me cranky.
I am most definitely NOT defending so many of The Jug-Handle State's really, REALLY stupid laws! :no: :evil: :evilmad:

I'm just saying if you don't want to get charged with a felony you have to follow them!

OTOH, there are many benefits to living in NJ, such as some of the very best public schools in the country, a cornucopia of various cultures and ethnicities, and sensible, logical management of COVID--Compare new cases and new deaths to Georgia and NJ has half as many cases yesterday, while Georgia had 15x as many deaths! The populations are 8.9 million vs 10.6 million--roughly comparable. We're not getting voter suppression laws, nor is abortion and EVEN MISCARRIAGE deemed as murder and illegal! A woman was held for a year and then sentenced to 4 years for taking drugs while pregnant and miscarrying. See Michelle Goldberg's column in today's NY Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/18/opin ... riage.html

So, despite our stupid gun laws--Cali's and NY's are even worse, we have otherwise SANE government that isn't trying to keep us Libs and POC from voting, from staying safe from COVID, nor from getting birth control or abortions.

Pick your poison.

(but Northeastern NJ really sucks! Bad roads, lots of traffic, GPS picking the WORST ways to go--so I try to go no further East than Woodland Park. The rest of the state, other than a disgusting golf course in Bedminster, is a lot nicer than you'd expect.)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Back to "why have serial numbers". Because of assholes like this guy.
Investigators say gun used in Truck Park bar shooting linked to straw purchase.

One of the handguns used in the mass shooting at a St. Paul bar earlier this month came from a suspected straw-purchaser, according to federal court documents filed Wednesday.

In a criminal complaint, investigators say Jerome Horton bought nearly three dozen handguns from stores across the metro over the past three months.

One of those handguns, a 9 mm semiautomatic, was recovered shortly after a shooting at the Truck Bar in downtown St. Paul on Oct. 10 that killed a 27-year-old woman and left 14 others injured.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Building an AK-pattern rifle could not be more dissimilar from assembling an AR. Building an AK requires a significant amount of research, including reading multiple books on building AKs and AKMs. A big part of the prospective build process is acquiring the required tools to ensure the best chance for success. Worse is choosing the parts kit to use and going through those parts to identify what might not entirely be compatible with commonly-available available receivers supposedly of good quality. At this point I would laugh in the face of anyone who would suggest the average criminal is going to whip up an AKM in his or her basement.

Experienced builders recommend sourcing a finished receiver for a first build, but given the probability of making a critical mistake, I am more sympathetic than ever to the idea of beginning with a blank or a flat in ensuing builds. It has nothing whatsoever to do with serial numbers and everything to do with trashing an on-the-books receiver versus pitching a much cheaper blank or flat if something goes wrong. A 20-ton press used to press in/out barrels and populate/depopulate them easily can be combined with a die for forming receivers from flats, and a couple of drilling jigs can ensure perfect alignment of trunnion holes with those in a receiver. With a manufactured receiver, a builder will not have that level of certainty with regard to fit.

Those into trying to make authentic builds like to note things like the fact '70s-vintage Polish AKMs did not have serial numbers on their receivers anyway. The serial numbers on the trunnions were deemed sufficient. Marring receivers is a US requirement for manufacturing.