Archery Activity

Learning/Practicing Intuitive Archery
Equipment;
Long Bow, Recurve, 3 piece bow, Flat Bow.
Bow weight, Less than 40 Lbs recommended.
Target – 8” Paper Plate. Red dot made with felt tip marker, approximately ¼” diameter.
Archery bag (Walmart) or try home made. Check CDFingers posts.

Accessory’s,

No sights.
No string release aid. Fingers only.
Distance – X feet. Your choice.
No score. Just have fun.
Number of shots, 5 arrows suggested. When you start breaking nocks back up and/or shoot fewer arrows per End (at a time).

Below is my target for today. 5 arrows at 14 feet indoors with my 3 piece bow. It is a Cartel Phantom 25 inch riser with 25 Lb. weight Axiom limbs at 30” It has a Cartel plunger roughly adjusted for the correct spring tension and arrow offset for the arrow spline.
The arrows are Easton 1716 Lite with 100 Gr. Target points. The graphic arrows point to past dents in the steel door and the 1/4" red marker sighting dot. This is another reason for using a low powered bow. When the earthquake hit and moved the whole cabin my arrow missed the target. (It's my excuse and story. If you are going to tell a tall tale, make it a good one.)

I presently use 2 criteria to determine how often and how many arrows I shoot.
Do I want to shoot and how does my arm/shoulder socket feel?
Now it’s every day with 5 arrows. Bow pull weight is 25 lbs @ 30” draw length.
As your strength improves, increase the number of shots, not the weight.
Same strategy applies as in bicycle track racing. "Tis better to twiddle a little gear than to pound a big one". BAR (best all around rider, over 35, Oregon, 1978)
Questions? Comments? Join me and post a few pictures of your target. Then we can try CDFingers Walkback Archery Game.

Pointfocus (Gil)

Thanks to CDFingers for advice and guidance.
Last edited by Pointfocus on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)
Zen in the Art of Archery.
Attachments
100_0253.JPG
100_0254.JPG

Re: Archery Activity

Fun stuff, man. I'm really glad you're shooting indoors. I didn't zoom the pic to see whether there're any holes in the door...my wife would skin me alive with a carrot peeler if'n I poked one of our 1927 doors. Now, I'd only heard this, mind you, but toothpaste plugs holes really quickly until you can get out the Spackle...

I'll do one today and see what's what.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Simmer down wrote:I imagine you don't have problems with pesky solicitors. :wtf:
Not really. The scene that greets a visitors approach is my shooting range/yard with target frames and my nervous, free ranging female German Shephard that is waiting for another practice dummy. Seems to work.

Thanks for dropping by. Do you have a bow?

Best wishes,
Pointfocus (Gil)
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)

CDFingers wrote:Fun stuff, man. I'm really glad you're shooting indoors. I didn't zoom the pic to see whether there're any holes in the door...my wife would skin me alive with a carrot peeler if'n I poked one of our 1927 doors. Now, I'd only heard this, mind you, but toothpaste plugs holes really quickly until you can get out the Spackle...

I'll do one today and see what's what.

CDFingers
Excellent information. First I gotta hide the carrot peeler then get an extra tube of toothpaste. Check update on pict. Arrow points to dents.

Pointfocus (Gil)

I let the sun go down on me today, so I'll shoot and pic in the morn.

on edit: crappola. It's Tuesday and I've been unable to carve out the time to shoot. Hopefully today, and I'll put the pics in a reply. It's final exams week at my school (who just won the California State Football Championship for Community Colleges) and I keep noticing the sun goes down before I can escape campus...

CDFingers

Final exam week is hell for students, but it's pretty fun for teachers. Sure, we're grading and marking and so on, but there's a great feeling that this semester is over. Thus was born the Holiday Party, this year held at the Sierra Nevada Brewery this afternoon. So, there's that aspect to this shoot. Fun is always had in shooting stuff.

This is five arrows from 27 yards. You can see I've switched to this Yuban container that became available. The plastic is way thicker than the jugs I usually shoot, and if the arrow hits near the broad, open top, the thick plastic flexes a tad and absorbs some of the force. The arrow only penetrates one side. If it hits on a firm place, it will go through both sides and anchor the thing into the bag. That's when all the arrows line up. Here, this happened before the jug got anchored, and it pivoted with hits until it got anchored into the bag. This is a fun activity. I didn't have a white plate so I improvised, and used some tape--which remained unscathed. It mocks me. Next time, tape. Next time... ;-)

This is right at sunset about ten minutes ago.

CDFingers

CDFingers put all 5 arrows with a traditional bow into an 8 inch paper at 27 Yds. Thats my goal. Well, the weather here was almost 50 degrees today. No excuses left. I decided to try shooting 10 Yds outdoors. Starting with 5 warm up shots, I only hit the plate once. The first arrow hit the building. The fourth arrow hit the plate. The remaining three hit the bag.

Inspired, shot five arrows for record and picture, two hit the plate and three hit the bag. I’m happy. It’s a good beginning.

I did notice that the groups lately are always high and to the right. I think if raising the nock/string location up about ¼-1/2 inch it may lower the group. Then screw the plunger assembly in about 2 turns, it may move the groups to the left. Or do I wait and see if my subconscious adjusts? Anybody know the answer?

Notice the series of holes in the wood around the arrow bag. That’s about 6 years of practice shots not hitting the target. Another reason for a low powered bow. A little puckey and paint, good to go.

The first picture is the target. The second picture is my shooting range out to 176 yards. This range is used for archery, air rifles and fire arms. The 84 yard mark has a hubcap tied to the tree. When I shoot my air rifle at it, it sounds like a broken bell.

Pointfocus
Having fun.
Last edited by Pointfocus on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Attachments
8" paper plate, 10 Yds. Trad Archery
8" paper plate, 10 Yds. Trad Archery
My shooting range in the country.
My shooting range in the country.

I sure like your gun range. I'd love to have one like that.

The ten yard distance now is your challenge. You stay there until you get all five in the plate. For me, my weakness is in the follow through, and in keeping my eye on the arrow until it hits the bag. When I shoot well, those two things are totally taken care of. But when I don't shoot well, that's where my problem lies.

I really like the indoors stuff you're doing, especially in bad weather. Lots of good work on form can take place indoors.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:I sure like your gun range. I'd love to have one like that.

The ten yard distance now is your challenge. You stay there until you get all five in the plate. For me, my weakness is in the follow through, and in keeping my eye on the arrow until it hits the bag. When I shoot well, those two things are totally taken care of. But when I don't shoot well, that's where my problem lies.

I really like the indoors stuff you're doing, especially in bad weather. Lots of good work on form can take place indoors.

CDFingers
The gun range sort of evolved over time. Inside the barns double doors is a shooting bench on a cement floor. It’s very convenient. The property (10 acres) suddenly was available just when I started looking in 2003.

Your statement those 10 yards is now my challenge. When there is a break in the weather, 10 Yds, outside. Then If it’s cold & nasty, 10 feet inside. Humm…… 10/10/10 Training. 10feet, 10 yards, 10 arrows left then right hand.

There are a lot of archers that agree with you that follow through until the arrow hits the target. I have read that the latest research shows the subconscious takes about 300 pictures a second when you focus intently on an object and stores it in short term memory. Repetition converts this to long term memory. I always put a very small dot on the target to stare at. Focus real hard for about 5 to 10 seconds. At the same time breathe slowly and deeply in and out using your stomach not your chest. The Orientals have many stories about this. My thinking is when you do this; you have taken control of the subconscious area where breathing occurs. After the arrow hits the target, hand back control to the subconscious, (Buddha?). If you control your breathing using your stomach you have opened the door to the area where all that automatic stuff takes place. You have entered the subconscious room. Then focus only on the dot and think of the arrow sticking exactly in the center of the dot.

Check out this link. http://www.geniusbydesign.com/other/win ... cess.shtml

Pointfocus
Having fun pursuing my own excellence.
Last edited by Pointfocus on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

I notice when I miss, I've followed the arrow right to the point of impact--which turns out not to be the point of aim. To me, it's all in my mind, whether I can keep that focus. Some days are better than others, but they're all fun.

I'm wondering how you're doing shooting every day? Do you feel any continuing discomfort?

CDFingers

I have a problem switching from focusing on the small dot then switching to watching the arrow flight when released. My hope is the arrow flight is in the peripheral vision area. Can’t find any direct reference to this strategy so far.

I’m going to adjust my nock/string location and my plunger to change the group Geometric Mean center. Then build on that information.

The latest new frontier is The Study of the Brain. Last week there was an announcement on Drudge about the latest big breakthrough. When the female starts into puberty their brain starts adding connections between the right and left hemisphere of their brain. The article included MRI scan pictures. It doesn’t happen to the male. Our connections stay on the same side with just a few crossing over. That’s what the previous post link is all about. The researchers have found several ways on how we can grow these connections, even into our senior years. The benefits are improved IQ and intuitive thinking. It’s just like your suggestion of shooting equal number of arrows left hand and right hand to achieve balance. By growing more connections, you get input from the logicial and the intuitive. You cannot grow more neurons.

Typically the feeling of soreness in the arm/shoulder ball joint starts the second day after shooting. After the latest round I waited 4 days and the slight soreness stayed the same. After I shot yesterday, today there is no soreness. Tomorrow, it should be back so I’m going to see if it happens again.

Pointfocus

This is interesting: I'm also studying that brain stuff. It's one of the things I'm watching when I shoot from each side. I know I draw on different parts of my brain when doing similar things with opposite hands.

One thing I learned was that "practice makes permanent." So if I want perfect results, I have to practice perfectly. My challenge is inside my head, as my body will do the right thing if I tell it to. A great challenge, I say. I really try to go slowly for that one time when I have to do it fast: the muscle memory will be right there.

Don't over-doo as far as shooting, and make sure you get enough rest of those muscles. Abide in the fruit, not in the flower.

CDFingers

Excellent advice. The brain, the new frontier. I like the part about Left/right hand shooting associating that with the left/right hemisphere.

I’ll be back.

Pointfocus.

Intuitive Archery Training Log, 12/22/2013

Temperature, 60 Deg. F
Wind, 3:00 O’clock@ 5-8 knots
Overcast
Target; 8” paper plate, 10 yards, with ¼” red dot with felt tip marker.
Bow: Cartel Fantom 25” riser with Axiom 25 Lb. limbs at 30” draw, 70” overall length.
Arrow; Easton 1816, Lite.

Because my past groupings were high and to the right I adjusted the plunger in ¾ of a turn and raised my string nock location up from 1/8” to ¼” above center.

First 5 shot group: No warm up. 4 arrows on 8” plate. 2nd shot and 3rd shot same hole. Last 2 shots, 4th low and 5th high and missed plate.

Second 5 shot group: 2 arrows hit paper plate, 3 hit the bag.

Conclusion:
1. Second 5 shot group: Lost concentration, pride destroyed my concentration. I lost my focus.
2. It appears that when intuitive shooting and the groups are offset, adjust the bow. (Now, dear reader, this is not a “Take it to the bank”, definitive statement. The ground that we stand on is always moving. Things change. Tomorrow I may have to eat my words.)
Notice that 3 arrows are grouped tightly around the ¼” red dot.
3. Right now, it appears that shooting every 3rd day is a good working strategy for me. There are too many things to consider so you will have to discover what works best for you.
4. Stare at the dot until it starts to get larger and blurrily. This is what I wait for to see. Other archers have described different ‘Visions’.
5. I also am now trying “Image-Streaming”. When you have some quiet time, imagine shooting the bow by mentally doing all the steps to shoot the arrow. Repeat slowly and carefully.
6. This is one that I have to learn big time. It’s everywhere in Zen Master writings. I will paraphrase, Do not take pride in good shots just as you should not feel disappointment in poor shots. Each time you shoot a bow, you do honor to all archers, past, present and future.

Pointfocus
P.M.O.E. (Pursuing My Own Excellence)
Last edited by Pointfocus on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Attachments
Paper plate, 10 Yds., Traditional
Paper plate, 10 Yds., Traditional
3 piece Cartel riser with Axiom limbs
3 piece Cartel riser with Axiom limbs
100_0274.JPG

Nice write up. When ever I try to duplicate an excellent shot I do not duplicate it. My best shots come when there is only the shot in my mind.

That's a neat looking bow.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:Nice write up. When ever I try to duplicate an excellent shot I do not duplicate it. My best shots come when there is only the shot in my mind.

That's a neat looking bow.

CDFingers
Thank you for your kind words. Especially when taking into account your vocation. My English teacher in high school threatened to prevent me from graduating unless I memorized Mark Anthony’s famous speech. Friends, Romans, and Countrymen……etc.
I had to give that speech before everyone, as I envisioned he did it. That’s when I learned what real motivation can do. I’m still a student learning English.

Your second statement, “When ever I try to duplicate….”. I think that says it all. It happens to me every time. I’ve read that you should not think about anything except the image of your defacto arrow in the bullseye.

It’s the way to go in selecting a bow as your strength changes. It’s Inexpensive in the long run. Buy the Cartel Phantom riser from a place like Lancaster Archery, and have them select the limbs for your draw length and weight. It comes with ILF socket locks which is the industry standard for interchangeable limbs. Now all you need to do is adjust the limb screws to change the weight which is adjustable around +/- 10%. If you want more/less, just get a new set of limbs. The beauty of this is you can tune the bow for windage, elevation, and draw length. Price, around $200.00. Cartel is in South Korea. New company.

Pointfocus
P.M.O.E.

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me a beer! I'll gladly pay you Tuesday...

Wait a minnit. Mixin' me speeches there.

I shot these while proofing cranberry scones using the same plate from just outside scone central, so, same distance.

This was just picking up the bow and shooting the five. I think later after the scones are ett I'll just pull the bow with my other side. Much chaos here, so shooting was cool. But it's the chaos of baking, wrapping presents, digging cats out of bags and what not. A good chaos.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me a beer! I'll gladly pay you Tuesday...

Wait a minnit. Mixin' me speeches there.

I shot these while proofing cranberry scones using the same plate from just outside scone central, so, same distance.

This was just picking up the bow and shooting the five. I think later after the scones are ett I'll just pull the bow with my other side. Much chaos here, so shooting was cool. But it's the chaos of baking, wrapping presents, digging cats out of bags and what not. A good chaos.

CDFingers
Chaos Archery. Interesting concept. Start a task, ring a random bell, 1 minute (12 seconds/shot) to shoot 5 arrows at a paper plate. Good idea CDFingers. Keep them coming.

Good shots. Noticed 3 arrows grouped together. The other two arrows, one high the other low? Finger release? Are you shooting at the semi clear piece of tape?

Two days ago the same chaos started happening here. Baking, candy making, present wrapping, etc. Then visiting, card playing, (lost 90 cents on "31". The chaos continues here, Christmas 25th, 50th anniversary, 29th, wife’s birthday, Jan. 2.

Pointfocus
Last edited by Pointfocus on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

The tape still mocks me. I shall puncture it next session. :--)

The low one was shot one and the high one was shot three. Go figure. One tiny slip of the mind and that's what happens.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:Got the rascal on the last shot of the five, always a satisfying feeling.

CDFingers
Good group. Nailed that tape on the last shot. I usually miss the whole bag with the last shot. Double nice.

What was the distance?

Pointfocus, (Gil)

Today I Shot the best personal group yet with one flyer this evening. The target shown below is 14 feet away.
The red dot is about 1/2" in diameter.
I've numbered the arrows showing the sequence.
#1 Just to the left of the red dot.
#2 Just above the red dot.
#3 Hit the red dot. I thought, yes. Got it. Life is good.
#4 Shot went way high. Nock ended up high showing bad release. Random thought distrubed the focus.
#5 Went back to taking my time, got into the zone and laid it beside #2

This intutive archery is amazing. I just focus on the dot, trying to see the smallest detail possible. Never never let your thoughts wonder. Then your accuracy greatly improves.
Edit note. Notice arrow #3, the nock is missing. It was on the floor under the target. Did #4 hit it?

Have fun,
Pointfocus
Attachments
100_0277.JPG
100_0280.JPG