Plantagenet Practicing

As it so happens,
King Edward III took this further and decreed the Archery Law in 1363 which commanded the obligatory practice of archery on Sundays and holidays!
link:

http://www.ryelongbowmen.org/history-of-the-longbow/

There is less traffic in front of the garlic fries booth during the Seventh Inning at a Giants' game than there is along my archery range. For that reason my practice has evolved into Plantagenet Practice: on a weekend day and on holidays I get to shoot.

I have 16 working arrows. If I were to shoot two quivers onerightaftertheother I would cause pain to me. But if I shoot half a quiver with the compound held in my right, and the other half of the quiver with the recurve held in my left, then I do some chore or mess around somewhere else, then I can go back and shoot another half a quiver with the compound and the other half with the recurve with no ill effects. Now, my accuracy is less accurate. I still hit the 9x9 box with 90% of the arrows, but the groups are not as tight. I'm sure they'll tighten up in the spring when I get to shoot more, as the traffic will have changed.

Maybe this post is to let archers know that if you have to shoot, you just have to take advantage of the situations as they present themselves. Don't quit. Not for any esoteric reason--though they totally exist. It's just harder than heck to get back in shape! :shh:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Plantagenet Practicing

When I competitively shot 3d I would shoot a 100 arrows every morning when the dog was doing his business. If I don't shoot the recurve 2-3 times a week I can't hit a damn thing. Muscle memory is very important for archery. You said you have 18 arrow are they correctly spines for each bow? Recurves have way different spine needs than a compound due to the energy and how it is released. My Black Widow likes a very almost too heavy of an arrow along with a very heavy tip. If you get some arrows specifically for each bow and paper tune the compound and bare shaft tune the recurve you might see your accuracy improve.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

rltriumph wrote:When I competitively shot 3d I would shoot a 100 arrows every morning when the dog was doing his business. If I don't shoot the recurve 2-3 times a week I can't hit a damn thing. Muscle memory is very important for archery. You said you have 18 arrow are they correctly spines for each bow? Recurves have way different spine needs than a compound due to the energy and how it is released. My Black Widow likes a very almost too heavy of an arrow along with a very heavy tip. If you get some arrows specifically for each bow and paper tune the compound and bare shaft tune the recurve you might see your accuracy improve.
Yeah: if you poke through these threads you'll find the lovely yellow feathered arrows that are matched to me and my recurve. There are five.

So I have a motley crew of arrows--a thread like that is here. I could shoot the groovy five and go get 'em and shoot again. Instead I try to remember how each arrow works on each bow.

Maybe it's the song of the lazy archer, the guy who would rather shoot mismatched arrows than walk back and forth. Those five shoot really well out the recurve. I've not used them in the compound. I'm most accurate with my compound, but I like the recurve better somehow.

CDFingers

This is for those of you who read and don't post.

Here it is Monday. I shot yesterday in the Plantagenet approach, shooting half, then doing chores, then shooting the other half of the quiver from the other side. Just enough shooting to keep my muscles alive and reasonably seasoned once a week is good for a season where weather and traffic vex my archery range. I have no pain and even no discomfort. Sweet.

CDFingers

This is the result of shooting just once a week, Plantagenet Style. (I can see the viral video now...)

The first pic is with the compound, mostly aluminum arrows. Distance 27 yards. Nine arrows, one miss, on the 9X9 inch box. Grouped mostly low and to the left, with point of aim being the center. Three finger glove and no sights--instinct style:

The second pic is from the same distance, instinct style with a three finger glove, ten arrows from out the recurve. I got two new arrows from Sandy Claws, the Xmas Xat, so I tried them. Fine. The yellow arrows were shot very last. One miss, a new arrow, high and right.

I should look at this like it's artillery: If I was shelling the 9x9 box for effect, it would be hella messed up. Maybe if I were battling Orcs after their feast, I might be able to wing a few. But I don't think I'll be shooting any apples off little boy's heads by practicing Plantagenet Style. Orcs, beware, though. And goblins and so on.

Here is the even distribution craved by an artillery spotter:

This is for you who look but don't post: there is winter practice, even if less frequently.

I hold my compound in my right hand and hold my recurve in my left. I'm pretty sure I'm left eye dominant.

CDFingers

I've discovered something interesting. First, as probably suspected, the last arrows are more accurate than the first ones.

Next, this shooting ten on one side, doing some chores, then shooting the other ten from the other side is neat when I do it every
other day. I have no pain at all, not even some small tightness. As the days go by with this technique, there are fewer arrows that do not fly true and more that do fly true during the twenty arrows (my wife gave me two new carbons in my stocking).

I urge folks to try new things, new practice regimens, frequently. Don't quit.

You know, here it is January, it's cold, and in many places east of the Rockies folks are seeing deep snows and cloudy skies not conducive to enjoyment of the outdoors unless you have northern European blood in you. So for those archers who've been trapped in doors with no way to shoot, here's what some guy did in the early 50's during the winter: he made arrows. I got these from that guy at a gun show up the hill a few years ago. He was ancient--older than I am anyway, and he chatted me up for quite a while. He was liquidating stuff as he downsized in his older years. Some day I shall be him, selling some of my stuff to younger folks. That's the way it goes. So here are those arrows in high summer--the snow will melt, the weather warm, and the ranges will open again!

They're too short for me, so they'll just hang over my gun closet until I meet a shorter, younger, archer who needs these arrows.

CDFingers

I got to shoot today. I focused on my hara. Don Juan would call it "the seat of the will." Physiologists would
call it the solar plexus. Engineers would call it the core of the building. I guided my last three arrows from
the recurve from there while the camera followed it in slo-mo--miracle and wonder.

CDFingers

This is the whole quiver from this morning. The yellow arrows always get shot last because I don't want to break them.

For those of you who shoot but don't post: keep shooting.

edited to add: same old distance, 27 yards.

CDFingers

Truth be told, this once-a-week thing is nice but it has its downside. Yesterday I felt like shooting three quivers instead of one, and I feel it this morning. Still, accuracy remains good. Those of you who shoot but don't post, keep shooting.

CDFingers

There may be a range near you where you can go and try out bows. Many archery shops have back rooms where
you can try out bows. I'd start with a light recurve bow, about 25 pounds, for a year or two, then work up to what you want
to do with it: target, hunt, compete, and so on.

CDFingers

Turns out to have increased to about every five days rather than every week: I have to be alert to when the range opens up.

Yesterday from 27 yards I got 17 out of 18 arrows in a 9x9 cardboard box. 9 arrows from each side.

CDFingers

The seasons and traffic now allow three days open for shooting. My last shot yesterday--I love it when this happens out of the recurve, precise point of aim, thock! into the bleach jug. Sweet.

CDFingers

Plantagenet shooting might be a good thing. Wednesdays and weekends so far--not exactly Plantagenet. I'll check in a year. Here is my second 6 today from my normal 27 yards.

Always check my posting dates so you can get the big picture, those of you who shoot and read but don't post: No excessive wear and tear from archery on this old fart.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:I've discovered something interesting. First, as probably suspected, the last arrows are more accurate than the first ones.

Next, this shooting ten on one side, doing some chores, then shooting the other ten from the other side is neat when I do it every
other day. I have no pain at all, not even some small tightness. As the days go by with this technique, there are fewer arrows that do not fly true and more that do fly true during the twenty arrows (my wife gave me two new carbons in my stocking).

I urge folks to try new things, new practice regimens, frequently. Don't quit.

You know, here it is January, it's cold, and in many places east of the Rockies folks are seeing deep snows and cloudy skies not conducive to enjoyment of the outdoors unless you have northern European blood in you. So for those archers who've been trapped in doors with no way to shoot, here's what some guy did in the early 50's during the winter: he made arrows. I got these from that guy at a gun show up the hill a few years ago. He was ancient--older than I am anyway, and he chatted me up for quite a while. He was liquidating stuff as he downsized in his older years. Some day I shall be him, selling some of my stuff to younger folks. That's the way it goes. So here are those arrows in high summer--the snow will melt, the weather warm, and the ranges will open again!

They're too short for me, so they'll just hang over my gun closet until I meet a shorter, younger, archer who needs these arrows.

CDFingers
how long are they? Those look awesome :)

I'd take them off your hands :)

28 inches from the archer end of the nock to the corner of the broadhead. There are 6 of them. Most will need one or more feathers replaced. The wood is unfinished. Trade a box (1000) of rifle primers to fit Mosins and Mausers? We each pay shipping?

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:28 inches from the archer end of the nock to the corner of the broadhead. There are 6 of them. Most will need one or more feathers replaced. The wood is unfinished. Trade a box (1000) of rifle primers to fit Mosins and Mausers? We each pay shipping?

CDFingers
Most of my shafts are 28 inches.

Not sure I can ship primers from MA, might just have to send you cash money :)

I'm thinking there's something to this Plantagenet business. The King was guarding against invasion, I wager, because in effect there would be a longbow behind every oak tree, to coin a phrase. Maybe each person would get off two maybe three arrows before being cut down--hard to say. But depending on the size of the town, the perceived threat of death by a thousand arrows from all sides would be valuable and valid.

Sort of helps to put a point on the LGC Bullseye and Postal matches, rifle behind every mobile phone maybe. Every third, if we follow the numbers. We should work to increase gun and archery play among millennials.

Shooting stuff is fun.

CDFingers