Archery as War Sport

I was going down a rabbit hole last night pondering getting into archery. Archery has a history as a war technique as well as a hunting technique.
The oldest depictions of combat, found in Iberian cave art of the Mesolithic, show battles between archers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_archery

Thus I began a fruitless search for "Archery self defense" and found the following:
  • "You cannot maneuver a bow indoors, so it would be useless."
  • "An arrow wouldn't instantly kill the attacker like a gun would." (eyeroll)
  • "I'd just reach for my handgun."
  • "Would you even have time to string a bow?"
Obviously I'm not naive, a handgun is a superior self-defense tool. But it is not always possible to keep or carry a handgun, such as in state parks or forest preserves. Further, the RKBA is under significant pressure these days, so I am pursuing ways to expand my self defense skillset.

Now for my findings about the current state of Archery clubs and competition, with regard to the tactics of war and combat.
In competitive archery, nearly all formats are of the stand-and-shoot formal style. Archers stand on a line and shoot at a target, or fly arrows into a field shooting for distance. Some informal archery games exist, and there is some historical re-enactment. Field archery is a bit more realistic, involving walking a course and shooting targets at varying distances. Then there is 3D archery, which I cannot distinguish from field archery, except that it uses exclusively animal targets.

Altogether the vibe I get is that modern archery has placed significant distance between the Sport and the use of bows in War. I even encountered notable distaste towards using silhouette-style targets (even IDPA cardboard figures). I also took notice that archery has general appeal and is unburdened by popular vitriol against such things as "High-Capacity Assault Bows," such that people who would generally be opposed to bearing arms seem to have no qualms about taking up a bow and arrows. Indeed I think I could speak freely about my love of bows and arrows without being shunned as a "Bow nut."

In summary, the appeal is thus:
  • Very low-tech and sustainable skill for survival, hunting
  • Unlikely to face significant regulation in the ongoing war on RKBA
  • Can be practiced in places where firearms practice is prohibited
  • Probably can travel with bow, carry while backpacking, and unless I actually take an animal would not draw official suspicion or scrutiny.
  • Not especially expensive or high-maintenance
  • Seems like fun, Wife would try it too.
So, as I approach this sport, should I be circumspect about my interest in self-defense, the right to bear arms, or the use of a bow in a combat-esque situation, such as an IDPA course?
Am I just being foolish?
Should I just get a bow, damn the worries, and pierce some targets however I please?

Re: Archery as War Sport

Archery Tag® is best described as Dodge-Ball with bows and arrows! It is the newest, family and group friendly sport that combines the intensity and excitement of Dodge Ball and the skill-set of archery with patented foam-tipped arrows that look like the marshmallows. Unlike paintballs, our arrows leave no welts, bruising or marks. This makes it fun and safe for all players. Archery Tag® is intense enough for the thrill seekers and safe enough for kids, making it the best game you’ll ever play with a bow and arrow. Two teams battle to be the first team to knock out all of the centers of their opposing teams’ five-spot target. Our inflatable bunkers on both sides of the field add to the challenge of the game as players strategically move between them while trying to tag other players out with the arrows.
http://www.downrangechico.com/archery-tag/

This is my local gun range/archery range where I'm a member. Fun city.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I have a couple of bows, and have loved archery since I was 6 or 7 years old. I know a number of preppers that include archery in their supplies of weaponry. In a SHTF situation, archery gives you the ability to silently take game. I have also heard that the weight of an arrow gives it more knock down power than a bullet of the same diameter. I would love to see some Youtuber take on that question and prove or disprove it.
And finally there is this video about rate of fire with a bow.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

There are at least four bows in my house. Three of them are mine (though my wife has used my bow(s) she prefers her own as she is a lefty shooter) I enjoy bowing and fletching. I would not use a bow to clear a room, but I don't think I would have need to clear a room. I would use a bow for self defense, sure. The thing to consider is that if you shoot an intruder with an arrow it may be considered cruel and unusual or above and beyond reasonable response. I highly recommend training with and using archery equipment.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

Bows always seemed to work for the Mocking Jay and Legolas. I don't know if I'd rely on it indoors, vastly preferring a short sword or long knife if we're talking about getting primeval in a hallway or bedroom.

That said, if I ever have some land, archery is high on my list of things to do.

Archery as a war sport. I was standing this morning on my front porch in a normal city neighborhood with normal sized blocks and normal sized two lane streets with curbs and sidewalks and so on. As I stood there looking across the street at my neighbor's eight-panel front door, I realized I easily could hit any of the panels of my choice with an arrow from where I stood. Easily.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The Mongols conquered the largest land empire in history with their mounted archers. They trained from childhood to shoot while mounted using heavier and heavier compound bows, developing huge muscles appropriate for shooting in such warfare. They moved fast, hard, and mercilessly until they ruled from the Pacific to Vienna.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:43 pm The Mongols conquered the largest land empire in history with their mounted archers. They trained from childhood to shoot while mounted using heavier and heavier compound bows, developing huge muscles appropriate for shooting in such warfare. They moved fast, hard, and mercilessly until they ruled from the Pacific to Vienna.
Composite, not compound :love:
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.