Both Sides Now

It has come to pass that I shoot as well from either side, compound or recurve. I began shooting from both sides some time in the late 90's when I happened to snag a left handed compound for a good price.

As it so happens, I began playing traditional archery right handed around 1958, and here it is 2019, shooting with my fingers. A couple years ago I began to get some tenderness in my right elbow--tennis, or archer's, elbow. I went to a release in my right hand. Now that I don't use fingers there, the inflammation has gone to near zero. I still shoot fingers left handed.

I prefer fingers to releases. Fingers are much more challenging than are releases, but they give much more purchase upon the shot by the archer. I have to participate more in the shot with fingers than with releases.

None of my bows has sights, but I shoot my friends' bows all the time, all of whom shoot compounds with sights. Sights are kind of cheating, I say. Since I shoot without sights, using them gives me hella tight groups which are not as fun to shoot. So it goes.

I find an advantage to shooting from both sides. A couple things. First, my back and arm muscles have developed equally, as opposed to an unequal development derived from stressing only one rather than both sets of back and arm muscles symmetrically. Second, shooting fingers with my left forces me to hold the bow in my right hand--this is the hand I use to shoot pistols. The same muscles are used to hold up and to steady the right hand, arm, and subsequent shooting muscles. I think this has given me better groups. Just last week out of 50 rounds with my 1911 one handed from 15 yards I was able to munch out a ragged hole of maybe 20 rounds. Others were around. But it's there if I chase it.

This symmetry in the back strength translates to my posture, which is very straight. Especially for an old fart, but very good posture. Added bonus, I say.

Finally, I find that shooting from both sides keeps my brain fluid somehow. Flexible. Plastic. Malleable. Nimble. That sort of thing. If you have the opportunity to snag a bow at a decent price, but it's the "wrong" hand, snag it. No downside.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Both Sides Now

I'm almost caught up with my right handed accuracy, shooting left handed. I use the release shooting right handed now, and I don't care for it. I have to do it to keep my muscles balanced, but I don't really like it. I shoot with my fingers left handed, and I like it better. It feels more natural, like throwing a ball.

Nine from twenty five yards, left handed.

CDFingers

lurker wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:14 pm looks like you're having some fun making targets, too.
This actually is a commercial target I bought at the local big box LGS. It works fine unless I dig a hole in it--which I did in about a week. Now I have to be really careful where I choose to aim or they go through. I kind of lean stuff behind it. Gonna get a cube of hard rubber. Spendy but I think will last as many years as my old bag but much more portable.

senorgrand, if I shot as many bullets as I do arrows, I'd rock at Bullseye, too. It's just a matter of practice. No brag, just fact. I shoot two to three times a week, twenty to thirty arrows each time. Imagine if you shot 90 to 100 rounds a week out your Bullseye pistol, eh.

CDFingers

K9s wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:44 pm Great job! I am a little jealous, but I will get over it. :)
I am certain there are strong neural and muscular analogs between the two sports. I am lucky to have my own backyard archery range. If I could shoot pistols, I would. But the neighbors would talk.

CDFingers

I’m always impressed by your archery.

I’m off of serious pistol again. Not enough range time to make it a consistent priority.

I’ve been thinking over the last few years that round count becomes less important than frequency and focus. I think 25 rounds of pistol twice a week would do me more good than 100 once a week. Thinking; we know what that’ll get ya.