North Carolina LGC Chapter

Local groups of LGC members. Plan meetings, organize affiliate organizations, etc.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

ncbluedot
Been around awhile

North Carolina LGC Chapter

#1 Post by ncbluedot » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:44 am

I didn't see a new thread after the old one was locked down so I'm going to start this one.

First order of business, who butchered my last name??? All "E"s boys and girls.

Winter is coming and after the holiday guests have left my house I should have a surplus of ammo that needs to expended against some cold steel. I believe the term for my condition is "blue bullets". Anyone interested in a meet up in the new year???

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

Re: North Carolina LGC Chapter

#2 Post by lurker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:31 am

i see we're scheduling a meet in march on facebook. not entirely comfortable with FB, but will cooperate.
covfefe!

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#3 Post by lurker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:13 pm

this is tuesday. we're looking at nother week, maybe more of decent weather. thinking of going to flintlock valley early next week. tuesday seems good. planning to buy the annual pass, $60. i will take some guns still have some fine-tuning of sights to do. if anyone has questions about the range or the forest, lemme know and i'll try to ask them. i've seen people camping in the forest, riding four wheelers, boating, all that outdoorsy stuff.
covfefe!

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#4 Post by lurker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:03 pm

just a reminder that there's a salisbury gun show the weekend of 24th and 25th, and a planned chapter range trip march 10th.
covfefe!

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#5 Post by lurker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 am

lurker wrote:just a reminder that there's a salisbury gun show the weekend of 24th and 25th, and a planned chapter range trip march 10th.
just a reminder of the reminder. today and tomorrow. be there or be square. i'm looking for cheapish 30-06 for the m1 and m1917. maybe i'll write up a review. this is the show where i got my 73 trapdoor last year. 1873.
covfefe!

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#6 Post by lurker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:06 am

just a reminder for any luddites like me who haven't migrated like lemmings to facebook that there's a NC shoot meet next saturday, a week from yesterday, at flintlock valley range in the uwharrie national forest. an hour drive for everyone including me, but well worth it. i'm confident that the weather will be glorious. people in texas routinely drive all day to get to the next county, we can do this.
covfefe!

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#7 Post by lurker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:58 pm

i see that i'm apparently the only person here, but...
NC LGC meetup, saturday, march 10, flintlock valley range in the uwharrie natl forest. be there or be square. i'm seeing 10 am to 3 pm. be sure to get your day pass on the way in. i'll be the guy with the trapdoor. and something.
weather forecast is low of 35 in the wee early, 49 degrees by 10, 60 in the afternoon. partly cloudy, chance of rain slight.
covfefe!

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#8 Post by lurker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:36 am

getting ready for today's range trip. got s couple of stops to make on the way. see y'all there, 10-3. more or less.

xerxes: "forecast: cloudy, light rain in a.m., clearing to partly cloudy. high in mid 50s. currently 39 degrees."
leonidas: "why then, we shall shoot (fight) in the shade"
covfefe!

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#9 Post by lurker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:02 pm

and a good time was had by all. all NINE of us. where did all these people come from? facebook. facebook is not really my style, i can't really imagine trying to have a serious conversation on facebook, but such is the way of the world. we had trouble getting 5 of us together for the formation meeting. anyway, i (and i assume the rest) had a good time shooting rifles and pistols.
i have a little book exchange going with rick, the range officer. so i brought him some books, some old, some not so. some ragged 100+ year old classics i can't see throwing in the trash, but goodwill wouldn't want them. twain's "innocents abroad", cooper's leather stocking tales, that sort of thing. when i left, he was holed up in his shack reading "captured by the indians". he's into 1750s-1900 pioneers and frontiersmen if you want to suck up to him.

eta: do not speed in misenheimer, through inattention or otherwise. i got a $50 ticket, with an additional $190 state-imposed "cost". i can't imagine how officer collins would have reacted had he seen the "arsenal" in the back of the car. i'm going to see if i can find a way around misenheimer.
Last edited by lurker on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
covfefe!

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#10 Post by lurker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:39 pm

so today i'm out in the garage cleaning the hardware we dirtied yesterday, and the same part of the same pistol that i lost and had to mail-order last year flies off across the bench, ting's off of something metallic hanging on the wall, and disappears. now i'm going to have to give the bench a thorough cleaning. this one, after i finally found it on the internet, cost me a whole bunch of money for the tiny little bit that it is, and was probably the last one in the entire world. note to self: going forward, always disassemble the gecado PIC inside a bag.
edit: found it, lost it again, found it again, put pistol together, not gonna mess with it.
Last edited by lurker on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
covfefe!

Emanon
Helpful Contributor

#11 Post by Emanon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:08 pm

:newhere: New Member Roger, I am a Pinehurst resident and a regular shooter at the John Lentz hunter Education shooting complex in Ellerbe.
If you have not been to this range it is owned and operated bt the NC Wildlife Federation and it is completely free to shooters, No NRA membership necessary. Two GRO's will explain everyhting for first timers,
Closed Sun, Monday
open Tue-Sat 9-5
5 Pistol lanes of 15-25 yrds
and
6 Covered rifle lanes from 50-100 Yards

Plus 5 stand, skeet and trap for shotgun shooters

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#12 Post by lurker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:04 pm

:welcome: now i'm off to see where ellerbe is. and pinehurst. ok, not too far on the other side of uwharrie. :welcome: there's a subforum for introductions, i advocate new folks go there and tell us something about themselves, like how you found the LGC, what you like to shoot, pretty much whatever comes to mind. lemme see if i can find that for you.
aha!it says "new member intro!"
viewforum.php?f=37
:welcome:
as you can see, we just had our first actual meet 'n shoot, and in your neck of the woods, too!
oh yeah, and :welcome:
there's a facebook page, too!
covfefe!

Emanon
Helpful Contributor

#13 Post by Emanon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:27 pm

I went to the new member sign in as you suggestedi also left a link to the range in Ellerbe where I shoot.

I have met people here that came from as far away as Charlotte and Releigh and most agree this is one of the best in NC.

I recommend that it might be worth the trip to check out this range and I am leaving the link here for our friends in North Carolina.

Thanks for the welcome. :thumbup:

BTW tue-wed- thurs the place is lightly used. Fri-Sat could get busy

http://ncwildlife.org/Outdoor-Activitie ... on-Complex

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#14 Post by lurker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:32 pm

if you have any questions, ask. if we don't know, we'll make up something plausible.
since i'm retired, i'm probably the most likely to make the trip out your way. if i do, i'll mention it here first, just in case someone else wants to meet up. we're not fixated on flintlock valley, it's just the least inconvenient to the most of us, since we're all inclined to think of ourselves as the center of the universe. i'm likely the closest to flintlock (and ellerbe) and it's about an hour.

i think what we're looking at is 4 official shoots a year, some in one place, some in another, so as to least inconvenience everyone. LGC is in some senses just an umbrella organization for people who like to shoot but don't want to put up with the rhetoric. doesn't mean we have to all troop around together all the time.
covfefe!

rockyriverleather
Been around awhile

#15 Post by rockyriverleather » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Welcome,
We can always use more NC members! You can join our Facebook Page if you're a paid up member. It's only a sawbuck, so just do it...lol. We just had our first meetup. Looks like everyone had a great time. Ellerbee looks terrific. I'll have to figger a day soon to go down and visit. I'm in Chatham County, so Pinehurst is only 45mins or so. Closer for me than Uwharrie, too!

Emanon wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:27 pm
I went to the new member sign in as you suggestedi also left a link to the range in Ellerbe where I shoot.

I have met people here that came from as far away as Charlotte and Releigh and most agree this is one of the best in NC.

I recommend that it might be worth the trip to check out this range and I am leaving the link here for our friends in North Carolina.

Thanks for the welcome. :thumbup:

BTW tue-wed- thurs the place is lightly used. Fri-Sat could get busy

http://ncwildlife.org/Outdoor-Activitie ... on-Complex

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#16 Post by lurker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:10 pm

thinking of paring down some of the non-collection longguns. i mention it here first because it's uncomplicated within the state.
there's
mossberg plinkster 802 bolt-action, mag-fed .22,1 mag. shot maybe 50 rds
double barrelled side by side 12 ga sportsman's cleveland shotgun. shot 10-ish rds.
chinese sks (no bayonet) w/ internal fixed mag, 2 tapco 20 round duckbill mags, scads (bunches and bunches) of ammo, and various accessories. i've put maybe 100 rds through it
ruger 10-22 w/2 10 round mags. couple of hundred rounds.
might be one or two more, i'll have to look.
lemme know if any of these interest you. they WILL be inexpensive. help me find them homes where they'll be loved.
covfefe!

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#17 Post by lurker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:25 am

thinking of going shooting next week. if you want to shoot a 145 year old springfield trapdoor or a 120 year old krag, here's your chance. talk to me. might even bring the hundred year old m1917.
covfefe!

ncbluedot
Been around awhile

#18 Post by ncbluedot » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:59 am

U going to flintlock valley? I was going to the mountains and do some fishing but I maybe able to talk my son into dropping his top down for a drive over there. Did I bring my 1895 Swedish Mauser on our last trip? Might be fun to shoot it and the krag. Contrast and compare.

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#19 Post by lurker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:17 pm

ncbluedot wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:59 am
U going to flintlock valley? I was going to the mountains and do some fishing but I maybe able to talk my son into dropping his top down for a drive over there. Did I bring my 1895 Swedish Mauser on our last trip? Might be fun to shoot it and the krag. Contrast and compare.
that would work!
covfefe!

rockyriverleather
Been around awhile

#20 Post by rockyriverleather » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Let me know which day, and I'll see if I can make it.

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#21 Post by lurker » Sat May 26, 2018 6:26 pm

just a heads-up, 2nd annual NC LGC meet 'n' shoot coming up in 2 weeks, june 9, 10 am-ish, at flintlock valley range in uwharrie national forest. $3 per person per day for a permit at the outfitters by the entrance. if there's something special you want to shoot, speak up.
most of the discussion has moved to FB so it's quiet here, but i lurk here regularly
covfefe!

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#22 Post by lurker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:17 pm

ok, that was very definitely a bust. the DNR or whoever runs the range closed it for a week before the meetup for maintenance. supposedly someone shot up the shelter columns and the roof caved in, don't know how true. doesn't matter. but no problem, signage said they'd re-open saturday am. but they got behind, didn't re-open saturday, and no one knew, not even some of the outfitters, i talked to a couple of guys who bought their day passes on the way in. so basically the range was closed and no one knew. i was walking up the steps to the bench when i got dave's call. dave went home, i chose to hang out for a while. member carl came, and we did our version of show and tell (nice hi-power, carl!), hung around for a while, eventually went home. 3 of us.
we'll try aagin.
Attachments
SUNP0037.jpg
covfefe!

Emanon
Helpful Contributor

#23 Post by Emanon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 pm

I haven't been here in a while but if anybody needs to get in some range time. The John Lentz range in Ellerbe is open tomorrow June 12 at 10:00 am. I went last week and will be going again in the morning.
Red Ford pickup parked in handicap spot. Ask for Roger

25 Yard pistol ranges and 100 and 50 yard rifle ranges will b open.

Best of all it is free, No NRA membership required, no permit, just bring your common sense and your own targets.
Sign in at the office and the GRO will show you around.

rockyriverleather
Been around awhile

#24 Post by rockyriverleather » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:49 pm

I just mentioned that place on the Facebook page. I'm definitely going to make a visit, but not tomorrow, or this week for that matter. Too much to get done this week...but soon. If I go the week after, want to meet up. I take it you can go a weekdays...good.

Emanon wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 pm
I haven't been here in a while but if anybody needs to get in some range time. The John Lentz range in Ellerbe is open tomorrow June 12 at 10:00 am. I went last week and will be going again in the morning.
Red Ford pickup parked in handicap spot. Ask for Roger

25 Yard pistol ranges and 100 and 50 yard rifle ranges will b open.

Best of all it is free, No NRA membership required, no permit, just bring your common sense and your own targets.
Sign in at the office and the GRO will show you around.

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#25 Post by lurker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:03 pm

just so happens i looked at their website today. i would be up for that too if we can arrange it. yes, it's a long drive. 123 mns per google. just looked up another route to uwharrie, google says 44 mins, avoids the misenheimer speedtrap, too. :yahoo:
covfefe!