Re: Tips for getting into blackpowder?

I don't know much about BP rifles / muskets, but I do have a Pietta 1860 Army revolver and it's tons of fun! I did a bunch of research before buying it, and I found that it's probably best to go with the steel framed guns over the brass for the sake of longevity... that being said, I don't shoot it much, especially during the dry months out here in Cali because of the fire danger, so I doubt I'd ever wear out a brass frame anyway.
Cleaning is a MUST with BP, and can be quite messy and time consuming, so be aware of that.
Also, if you buy something like the Pietta, I'd change out the nipples- I've found the stock ones to be frustrating and conducive to misfires.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

lurker wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:57 pm i've had good results for increased reliability with drilling out nipples slightly larger.
I've found the holes to be fine, but the stock Pietta nipples are slightly too large for #10s and too small for #11s. 11s just fall off, and the 10s would take 2 hammer strikes to fire in a lot of cases. My solution was to very VERY carefully hold the threaded end of each nipple in the chuck of my electric drill and spin the external part of it on some fine sandpaper, just slightly reducing the radius. Now the #10 caps fit better and I have less misfires. Probly should just pony up the 40 bucks for the slixshots tho.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:08 am With the revolver, plug the loaded cylinders with Crisco to prevent chain fire, so it smells like popcorn when you shoot it.

CDFingers
ensuring proper cap fit to nipple is actually a bit more critical for preventing chain fire. A properly seated bullet does a pretty good job of preventing a chain fire from the cylinder end of things. The grease provides another layer of protection, but it is not the primary reason you use it.

308Scout wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:43 pm
CDFingers wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:08 am With the revolver, plug the loaded cylinders with Crisco to prevent chain fire, so it smells like popcorn when you shoot it.

CDFingers
ensuring proper cap fit to nipple is actually a bit more critical for preventing chain fire. A properly seated bullet does a pretty good job of preventing a chain fire from the cylinder end of things. The grease provides another layer of protection, but it is not the primary reason you use it.
If you give a No. 11 cap a little squeeze, it'll hang on the nipple better.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

An Englishman suggested to me, long ago, when I run out of time to clean a firearm shot with Black Powder, or if I am going to shoot it again in a few days, hose it down with WD40, and it will prevent rust. I have tried it several times with a .577 Enfield Musketoon, when I was going to hunt several afternoons in a row, and had to clear the rifle by firing at the end of each day.

The thing that prevents me from shooting my Black Powder guns is the cleaning.