Re: Need help ID'ing Antique Muzzle Loader

I really wish you had a better pic, at first thought I figured Hawken but in the pic there appears to only be one barrel wedge. Plus the pewter nose cap looks different. There were other plains rifles besides the Hawken. Leman trade rifles and the Dimick. The trigger guard appears to be hawken. I would like to see a better picture. By the by if you want to buy a copy of the rifle regardless of which type you will have to spend a small fortune from a custom maker or make it your self. The 19th century plains rifles are the most difficult to build.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I own a lyman plains rifle that I built from a kit years ago. 50cal decent for deer size game. I also have a 58 cal lancaster flint rifle, I think if I was going to hunt Bison I would want a 62cal for round ball. I did a bit of a google search on Auguste Lacome, interesting read rifle was evidently too heavy for the Utes to steal. There might be some members from blackpowder specific forums that live in New Mexico who have seen the rifle and could tell you what it is. I noticed the under barrel rib looks almost like its made out of wood in the picture. I'm sure its iron but it looks weird to my eyes.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

If you are interested enough in a large game hunting rifle that is not some inline, but don't care if it is to the letter period correct by the 1850s barrels were rifled for conicals and a 54 or 58 conical is serious stuff for just about anything. Especially if the barrel has at least 1" across the flats. A lot mof research will pay off in the long run, I'm definitely not an expert.

Generally speaking, it's a Hawken-style percussion rifle with double set triggers, a single barrel wedge, and pewter nose cap. The single wedge design is often seen with trade rifles. There are plenty of replica arms available that closely approximate this rifle, but I haven't found any with exactly those features, especially in .58 caliber. Most modern reproductions are going to be .50 or .54. However, here's a company that sells a number of kits and finished rifles in .58 as well as .62 that approximate this rifle:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Index.aspx

If you want to approximate the look, it wouldn't be hard to get the nose cap plated with nickel.

For hunting bison with a round ball, I'd suggest a .58 or .62. Rounds balls don't carry a lot of weight for their size like an elongated bullet would and they lose their energy very quickly. Performance-wise you can expect to drive a .58 caliber round ball (weighing 278 grains) to about 1250 fps with a muzzle energy of around 1000 ft-lbs. That energy drops off quickly to half that at about 100 yards, so using a patched round ball is a short-range proposition. A better idea would be to have a rifle with a 1 turn in 48" or faster twist and shoot conical bullets...you can almost double your muzzle energy and effective range and a .54 would be more than adequate.

A note about rifling twist rates...1 turn in 60-66" is for best accuracy with a round ball and won't stabilize longer conical bullets. 1 turn in 48" is an in-between twist that can be used for round-balls and shorter conical bullets. There are also rifles available with fast-twist barrels with 1 turn in 32-36" designed specifically for stabilizing long, heavy conicals.

If you have never put together an advanced parts set you will be wasting a bunch of money. They aren't kits like a TC or a Lyman they are a bunch of parts that is unfinished you will have to drill and thread all holes in the barrel including the flash hole in the barrel plus the nipple hole in the drum. Cut all dove tails for the sights plus use a drill and taps for attaching the barrel rib that you will have to fit to a tapered barrel so it will line up the ramrod thimbles in a straight line. The Don Stith (which are the best kits) and the TOW kits are very advanced projects. The nose caps are an ingot of pewter that is melted and poured into a paper form on the end of the barrel and after cooling sanded to shape.

mahkagari wrote:
eelj wrote:If you have never put together an advanced parts set you will be wasting a bunch of money. They aren't kits like a TC or a Lyman they are a bunch of parts that is unfinished you will have to drill and thread all holes in the barrel including the flash hole in the barrel plus the nipple hole in the drum. Cut all dove tails for the sights plus use a drill and taps for attaching the barrel rib that you will have to fit to a tapered barrel so it will line up the ramrod thimbles in a straight line. The Don Stith (which are the best kits) and the TOW kits are very advanced projects. The nose caps are an ingot of pewter that is melted and poured into a paper form on the end of the barrel and after cooling sanded to shape.
Wow, that's not a starter project. What's your opinion of the lower end kits? Or the Pedersolis from Cabela's?
I would suggest you go to one of the forums I posted earlier and ask questions there. I have the Lyman which is an Italian brand, Investarms. I can't comment on the others.

eelj wrote:
mahkagari wrote:
eelj wrote:If you have never put together an advanced parts set you will be wasting a bunch of money. They aren't kits like a TC or a Lyman they are a bunch of parts that is unfinished you will have to drill and thread all holes in the barrel including the flash hole in the barrel plus the nipple hole in the drum. Cut all dove tails for the sights plus use a drill and taps for attaching the barrel rib that you will have to fit to a tapered barrel so it will line up the ramrod thimbles in a straight line. The Don Stith (which are the best kits) and the TOW kits are very advanced projects. The nose caps are an ingot of pewter that is melted and poured into a paper form on the end of the barrel and after cooling sanded to shape.
Wow, that's not a starter project. What's your opinion of the lower end kits? Or the Pedersolis from Cabela's?
I would suggest you go to one of the forums I posted earlier and ask questions there. I have the Lyman which is an Italian brand, Investarms. I can't comment on the others.
Currently, I have two Hawken-style muzzleloaders, both in .54 caliber. One is the Cabela's model in flintlock...flintlock was a requirement for the late muzzleloader deer season when I lived in Pennsylvania: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... %3D1100202 They also produce it in percussion.

The other is a Lyman Great Plains Hunter. It has the fast-twist rifling for shooting long, heavy conicals and is my elk gun for the early muzzleloader season here in Colorado: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzz ... hunter.php They also offer the standard Great Plains rifle in the slower roundball twist and a Trade Rifle in the 1:48" twist.

Some other ready-made rifles in this category would be those available from Pedersoli, Pietta, Interarms...the Italian makers usually offer their products through retailers like Bass Pro, Cabelas, and Dixie Gun Works. Dixie is selling the Lyman Trade Rifle for $425.. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=5887

I've seen that rifle... Pretty cool that it belonged to one of your relatives.

Every once in a while I get the urge to get one of the Track the Wolf kits, but they're pretty expensive. I like the smooth bore 20 ga flintlocks.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

mahkagari wrote:The attached is a pic of a .58 caliber muzzleloader in the Santa Fe Palace of the Governors Museum. It belonged to my great great great grandfather. I'd love to identify it and see if I can track one down. Either antique or replica. We think it's the one at the below link. Any input form anyone with more info is well welcome.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categorie ... PARTS-LIST
Mr. Lacome is My Great Great Great Grandfather also. My Father is Rudy LaCombe from San Luis, Colorado. I have a picture of a picture of Auguste
My husband and myself live in Denver, Co and went and took pictures of this rifle also and met and visited family members in Arroyo Hondo. Feel free to contact me larrydebby@centurylink.net Hope to hear from you Debby LaCombe Carrillo

Debby wrote: Mr. Lacome is My Great Great Great Grandfather also. My Father is Rudy LaCombe from San Luis, Colorado. I have a picture of a picture of Auguste
My husband and myself live in Denver, Co and went and took pictures of this rifle also and met and visited family members in Arroyo Hondo. Feel free to contact me larrydebby@centurylink.net Hope to hear from you Debby LaCombe Carrillo
:welcome:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

axel wrote:I've seen that rifle... Pretty cool that it belonged to one of your relatives.

Every once in a while I get the urge to get one of the Track the Wolf kits, but they're pretty expensive. I like the smooth bore 20 ga flintlocks.
I want to do a similar project. Make a nice light weight gun for small game and birds. I've gotta get my ex moved out and get my shop put together first.