I'm thinking of my first Black Powder

So, I thought I would throw this question out to you guys first. It was suggested that something black powder firing would be fun to shoot next time the Texas Chapter meets. That said, I recently saw an ad for an Uberti 1860 Army pistol. The price is reasonable, but what I want to know is what is the real expense to start firing black powder?
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Re: I'm thinking of my first Black Powder

Inquisitor wrote:Pretty cheap, powder and some appropriate caliber lead balls and some lubed cloth.

a nipple wrench, some spare nipples, and some small picks are useful for cleaning.

A spare cylinder ends up being handy eventually.
Plus percussion caps. Powder flask with the right size spout, or a separate measure. It's good fun.
This is a good way to start. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... tarter+Kit
This also has the gun http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... %3D1115136
Last edited by nigel on Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

nigel wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:Pretty cheap, powder and some appropriate caliber lead balls and some lubed cloth.

a nipple wrench, some spare nipples, and some small picks are useful for cleaning.

A spare cylinder ends up being handy eventually.
Plus percussion caps. Powder flask with the right size spout, or a separate measure. It's good fun.
This is a good way to start. There are other kits that include the gunhttp://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... tarter+Kit
Ah yes, a measure, and caps, that would be helpful :)

I shoot a lot of black, through my Vaquero 45 Colt, and my Brown Bess. I highly recommend it. Cast balls are plentiful for the calibers you're looking at. Try finding .715 inch lead balls. Ha!

Do not, I repeat, do not waste your time with black powder subs like Triple 7. Real black can be hard to find because it requires special handling by the retailers but it's so, so worth it. Use patches and saturate them with melted crisco. Cleanup will be a cinch with soap and water. YOu can buy the factory lubes but crisco is just as good and cheaper.

Black powder is guaran-damn-teed to get the attention of your rangemates; and definitely puts smiles on faces.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

inomaha wrote:Stupid Cabelas has them on sale starting at $114.

Like I need that sort of temptation.
Right! That's what I mean. So tempting.

Nigel. Thanks for the hint on the starter pack. I was hoping that something like that existed.

beaurrr, What's a day at the rang without a few extra smiles?

I am now on the other side of half tempted.

Thanks?!?
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

beaurrr wrote:
Do not, I repeat, do not waste your time with black powder subs like Triple 7. Do waste your time with subs like Pyrodex P or Triple 7' because Real black can be hard to find because it requires special handling by the retailers
Black powder is guaran-damn-teed to get the attention of your rangemates; and definitely puts smiles on faces.
F IFY

nigel wrote:
beaurrr wrote:
Do not, I repeat, do not waste your time with black powder subs like Triple 7. Do waste your time with subs like Pyrodex P or Triple 7' because Real black can be hard to find because it requires special handling by the retailers
F IFY
There was nothing to be "fixed" but thanks anyway.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

CDFingers wrote:I tell ya, the first time I shot my .36 Navy repro, I laughed out loud it was so fun.

CDFingers

My dad bought one of those in 44 a while back. He had to have it shipped from Midway to my house as Illinois wont allow shipping of Blackpowder pistols in the state, or some silly shat like that. Anyway, that is a monster of a pistol. You'd have to be the hulk to use it on a regular basis. First time he shot it off his deck every mud dobbers nest under the roof overhang fell .

I was not big into blackpowder, but I recently read a article on bugout guns and how black powder might be the ultimate kind. I use to think an over under 12/ 22 or 12/ 223 would be the ultimate survival gun. Or just a 12 gauge with a set of rifle and pistol inserts, but as the article pointed out, if things got that bad, manufactured ammo and reloading supplies would not last long, and be at a premium while they did last. But with a black powder firearm, you can make your own gun powder, and just about anything you can shove into the barrel can do some kind of damage. Though, Id still take the over under and or inserts with shot gun, a pistol, but add to that a black powder rifle .

So Im on the lookout for a nice bp rifle. Not a huge 50 though, something that could do damage, but still not vaporize a bunny .

I ramble on :wacko:
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

question ;

do the same rules apply to BP muzzle loaders as smokeless powder guns? As in barrel lengths and such. I ask because I do not think an 11 and 3/4 inch barrel length would be legal for a shotgun.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... _104641380
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:question ;

do the same rules apply to BP muzzle loaders as smokeless powder guns? As in barrel lengths and such. I ask because I do not think an 11 and 3/4 inch barrel length would be legal for a shotgun.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... _104641380
As long as it's a black powder-only, non-cartridge firearm, it's considered antique/obsolete and doesn't have to comply with the usual firearms laws. A shotgun or rifle can be as short as you like, a pistol can have a buttstock attached, and you can (in most states) buy them and have them delivered to your front door.

ah, just did some checking. Illinois considers muzzle loaders to be a firearm and must be shipped through a FFL dealer.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

FlyGuy wrote:
inomaha wrote:Stupid Cabelas has them on sale starting at $114.

Like I need that sort of temptation.
Right! That's what I mean. So tempting.

Nigel. Thanks for the hint on the starter pack. I was hoping that something like that existed.

beaurrr, What's a day at the rang without a few extra smiles?

I am now on the other side of half tempted.

Thanks?!?
You are stepping onto a very slippery slope! BP guns are a lot like potato chips. If the smoke and smell don't hook you, the feeling of re-living history and doing it like your ancestors did, will.

The easiest way I've found to reliably get real black powder is to go together with some folks and order in bulk. The company I've used is Powder Inc.: https://www.powderinc.com Since I shoot rifles, pistols, and flintlocks, I bought a variety case of Goex 2F, 3F, and 4F along with a buddy...10 1-lb. cans to a case. Spread out over several cans, the hazmat feel isn't so bad...they can ship up to 50 lbs. on one $25 hazmat shipment.

dandad wrote:
CDFingers wrote:I tell ya, the first time I shot my .36 Navy repro, I laughed out loud it was so fun.

CDFingers

My dad bought one of those in 44 a while back. He had to have it shipped from Midway to my house as Illinois wont allow shipping of Blackpowder pistols in the state, or some silly shat like that. Anyway, that is a monster of a pistol. You'd have to be the hulk to use it on a regular basis. First time he shot it off his deck every mud dobbers nest under the roof overhang fell .

I was not big into blackpowder, but I recently read a article on bugout guns and how black powder might be the ultimate kind. I use to think an over under 12/ 22 or 12/ 223 would be the ultimate survival gun. Or just a 12 gauge with a set of rifle and pistol inserts, but as the article pointed out, if things got that bad, manufactured ammo and reloading supplies would not last long, and be at a premium while they did last. But with a black powder firearm, you can make your own gun powder, and just about anything you can shove into the barrel can do some kind of damage. Though, Id still take the over under and or inserts with shot gun, a pistol, but add to that a black powder rifle .

So Im on the lookout for a nice bp rifle. Not a huge 50 though, something that could do damage, but still not vaporize a bunny .

My dad corrected me on this .. He has an original Remington, he traded a railroad worker from Arkansas for it back in the 1940s , and even though it still shoots, he put a dixie works after market barrel and cylinder on it for safety reasons. The monster he ordered is a copy of a Colt 6 shot Walker. which he says was the most powerful revolver until the 357 came along.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:
dandad wrote:

CDFingers

My dad corrected me on this .. He has an original Remington, he traded a railroad worker from Arkansas for it back in the 1940s , and even though it still shoots, he put a dixie works after market barrel and cylinder on it for safety reasons. The monster he ordered is a copy of a Colt 6 shot Walker. which he says was the most powerful revolver until the 357 came along.
He still has the original barrel and cylinder, right?

nigel wrote:
dandad wrote:
dandad wrote:

CDFingers

He still has the original barrel and cylinder, right?

Oh yeah, he has it all. even the wood is original . Its really in good shape. He just didnt want to take a chance of damaging it, but he did want to shoot it more often. thats why he bought the after market parts. He told me it was to pass to me and I would probably shoot it maybe once or twice, but then its going to get a nice case and put in the safe.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Colt Navy and a .50 cal rifle. Fun all day and smoke out your range mates. I can hit bullseye with the .50 at 100 yards with iron sights.
That thing is a BEAST.

Smiles all day!

:thumbup: :roflmao:

P.S. I use Pyrodex.
But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.
Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Did you go with anything yet?

The 1860 is probably everyone's favorite cap and ball. Good balancing (probably not quite as good as 51 though) and the aesthetics are terrific :thumbup:

That being said though...
I think the 58 is the best gun for a cap and ball beginner. Yeah, it's large and clunky but the scene from Pale Rider certainly makes up for it :whistle:

1. You don't have to deal with the barrel wedge and prying the gun off everytime you clean it or prep it for shooting. If you wanted an extra cylinder or even a conversion 45lc cylinder, it's so much easier to take apart.

2. The Remington 58 should shoot low and the Colt copies should shoot high. Filing off part of the front sight is easier than filing into the rear hammer notch for most people. And if it's still manufactured the same, the Uberti 58 has a dovetailed front so you can tap for windage.

3. The cylinder is larger and will accept more powder than the standard colts (buy steel frames as everyone has said). But that may not matter to you.

The general word of wisdom is to buy the gun in person or from a store that will stand behind the product; preferably in person because you may have to go through 2-3 guns before you find one that isn't broken straight from the factory :crazy: You get a good one though, it's good for a long long time.

I'd personally use Triple 7 over black powder for maintenance purposes. Blackpowder gums everything up and you'll have take the gun apart frequently at the range. With triple 7 you might have to quickly wipe it with T/C bore cleaner milk once during your shooting session, if at all.
Plus, I have gone 2 full weeks before cleaning my guns after 777 and they cleaned up good as new (not a great idea to do with black or pyrodex...3 days is stretching it). Your mileage may vary as I wouldn't put out a blanket recommendation on that (especially if a gun has some minor pitting already).

They are fun and you probably will want one of everything