Spent the weekend smelling powder smoke

I got started in guns through reenacting the French and Indian War with a bunch of other crazy people. Every year our battalion gathers at Fort Bagley in mid Michigan to train for the summer’s campaign against the French and their Savage allies. This year we had 15 Officers, NCOs and Centinels (Massachusetts speak for private), including one new trooper, Mike “The Butcher” Kelly. The weather was pleasant and we spent the morning marching, working on movements, evolutions and the manual of arms. After foraging in town for lunch, the afternoon was spent spent in firing drills, gotta love that powder smoke, and a short lecture on the Regiment’s history by Major Kemmer.

Here is yours truly as a corporal in the ranger company

Lots more pictures at our website
http://massachusettsbattalion.com/

Spent the weekend smelling powder smoke

valen wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:My brain isn't wired to do costumes. Self conscious I guess?

But I love watching that stuff and shooting the guns and the smell of the powder. Great pics.
I'm seriously looking into Cowboy shooting too. I may have a costume problem :oops:
The 10 year old in me wishes the old man hadn't gotten so stuffed shirt sometimes. That is also fun to watch.

Re: Spent the weekend smelling powder smoke

Valen-
who makes those flinters? In one forum I frequent, there's a lot of discussion (sometimes argument) about just how authentic the firearms 'need' to be. Thus, some get by with Pedersolis or the Indian models, such as sold by Navy Arms, and some have custom guns made. I've also seen a few examples built up from old locks found in Nepal (sold by IMA).

I sometimes shoot a Pedersoli Bess, but not for reenactment. Mostly just for giggles and smoke.

Just wondering about your thoughts.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:Valen-
who makes those flinters? In one forum I frequent, there's a lot of discussion (sometimes argument) about just how authentic the firearms 'need' to be. Thus, some get by with Pedersolis or the Indian models, such as sold by Navy Arms, and some have custom guns made. I've also seen a few examples built up from old locks found in Nepal (sold by IMA).

I sometimes shoot a Pedersoli Bess, but not for reenactment. Mostly just for giggles and smoke.

Just wondering about your thoughts.
We are using about a 50/50 mix of Pedersoli Brown Bess and various indian make Brown Bess copies. We would prefer anyone buying a gun to get a first model or Long Land pattern bess, but as long as its a Brown Bess you'll be allowed to fall in with us. I personally carry a Pedersoli jager style rifle that dates to the period. As Provincial troops (as apposed to regular army red coats), we get the british army's castoffs or what the soldiers brought from home, so almost any gun that existed in north american in the mid 1700s is ok for us. Indian made Bess copies are cost effective for new guys starting out. An indian made colonial fowler or a trade gun would be good and relatively cheap too.

I will say there is a world of difference in the quality of pedersoli guns and the various indian makes. If you have the money, get the pedersoli.

nigel wrote:Please tell us about the different headgear. I like the Bishop's hat.
Its called a Mitre cap and yeah it looks a lot like a Bishops hat. That soldier is a Grenadier. In the 17th century he would actually throw iron bomb style grenades with lit fuses at the enemy, especially when storming a fortress. By the 18th century grenades went out of style, but Grenadiers where a recognized elite force in european armies of the times. Each regiment had a company of them and used them as Guards for VIPs or Colors, used them as provosts or military police. During a battle all the grenadiers would be massed together and used to spearhead assaults or as a reserve.

I completed a 1770s era Lancaster kit from TOW about 8 years ago and have been struggling for a couple of years to finish a Chambers 1750 era New England fowler in 20 bore, I'll get it done but have no illusions of it being a showcase specimen when its done. Before conicals the smoothbore reigned supreme on the frontier and the military except with professional hunters. But even they csrried the smoothy on their "long hunting" expeditions along with the rifle.
"I love the smell of black powder in the morning, it smells like..........History"

eelj wrote:I completed a 1770s era Lancaster kit from TOW about 8 years ago and have been struggling for a couple of years to finish a Chambers 1750 era New England fowler in 20 bore, I'll get it done but have no illusions of it being a showcase specimen when its done. Before conicals the smoothbore reigned supreme on the frontier and the military except with professional hunters. But even they csrried the smoothy on their "long hunting" expeditions along with the rifle.
"I love the smell of black powder in the morning, it smells like..........History"
After I finish school this year I'll be looking into building a gun. A new england fowler from a TOW style kit is high on the list of possible guns. I would also like to make a Christian Springs style rifle some day.