Re: Conversion cylinders

The 45acp cylinder can only accept lead loads. If you reload, not a problem. If you buy factory, good luck finding any...

The downside to the 45lc is they are so damn expensive to shoot factory ammo.

IMO you'd be better off buying a 73 clone in 357 or even the dual cylinder Ruger 45acp/lc. Depends on how much you shoot, but the break even period can be a short amount of time when you're shooting ammo $40 / 50 rounds.

curtism1234 wrote:The 45acp cylinder can only accept lead loads. If you reload, not a problem. If you buy factory, good luck finding any...
hrmm.. I thought it was more about the gun & barrel, rifling, than the cylinder that determined if you could go jacketed or not?

curtism1234 wrote: The downside to the 45lc is they are so damn expensive to shoot factory ammo.
probably a few boxes to start of with yeah, then the idea was get into hand-loading and still use black powder in them.
On the con side for me, is that I already have a gun .45ACP, but .45LC would be adding a new calibre to the stash.
curtism1234 wrote: IMO you'd be better off buying a 73 clone in 357 or even the dual cylinder Ruger 45acp/lc. Depends on how much you shoot, but the break even period can be a short amount of time when you're shooting ammo $40 / 50 rounds.
already have that! :D I have an Uberti Cattleman in .357 to match my Henry Big Boy. The idea there was the same.. make some .357 brass and then start loading my own at some point. A '73 pattern just ain't quite the same as a Colt open-top though, ya know? ;)
Brian in StL

There's also a pre- made colt conversion available in .38 to consider. A better arrangement than some of the conversion cylinders.

That said, if you're primarily interested in loading BP, I'd go with the .45 Colt and maybe get the Lyman 310 tool to reload them. It's not a volume setup, but too cute for words.

Marlene wrote:There's also a pre- made colt conversion available in .38 to consider. A better arrangement than some of the conversion cylinders.

That said, if you're primarily interested in loading BP, I'd go with the .45 Colt and maybe get the Lyman 310 tool to reload them. It's not a volume setup, but too cute for words.
I'd love a 310 kit but damn it's expensive compared to other reloading options. But it'd be fun...
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

stl303 wrote:
curtism1234 wrote:The 45acp cylinder can only accept lead loads. If you reload, not a problem. If you buy factory, good luck finding any...
hrmm.. I thought it was more about the gun & barrel, rifling, than the cylinder that determined if you could go jacketed or not?
Correct, that cylinder is the strongest part of the gun. Perhaps I misstated that.

My Ruger Vaquero has both the .45LC and the .45ACP cylinders. I'm really glad it does, because there's always ACP around. Interestingly enough, the ACP's are a bit snappier than the LC somehow. They print differently with the ACP printing a bit low at 15 yards. I say if you have the opportunity to get both cylinders, do it. You won't be sorry.

I'm going to have to make a new pic of my cylinders because that one custom one is no longer available.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Not sure if it applies to cap and ball revolvers but I believe most black powder weapons have deeper cut rifling for the use of soft lead. I don't understand the conversion units for cap and ball revolvers but people seem to like them because they still make them.

I'm personally thinking of doing CASS shoots with cap and ball guns because I like the aesthetics of them better. I'm going to start with blackpowder and caps, but it might turn out to be a massive pain in the ass to do an entire shoot that way, so I might switch to conversion cylinders.

valen wrote:I'm personally thinking of doing CASS shoots with cap and ball guns because I like the aesthetics of them better. I'm going to start with blackpowder and caps, but it might turn out to be a massive pain in the ass to do an entire shoot that way, so I might switch to conversion cylinders.
Just stick with Remington varieties and it will turn into a much lesser pain over Colt just for the fact the caps won't get all bound up in the cylinder. Buy a few more regular cylinders and you'll reload like the Preacher.

curtism1234 wrote:
valen wrote:I'm personally thinking of doing CASS shoots with cap and ball guns because I like the aesthetics of them better. I'm going to start with blackpowder and caps, but it might turn out to be a massive pain in the ass to do an entire shoot that way, so I might switch to conversion cylinders.
Just stick with Remington varieties and it will turn into a much lesser pain over Colt just for the fact the caps won't get all bound up in the cylinder. Buy a few more regular cylinders and you'll reload like the Preacher.
But but Colt's are so much prettier...

valen wrote:
curtism1234 wrote:
But but Colt's are so much prettier...
There are pros & cons.
Colt can be "cap suckers" but Rems bind up faster I'd your shooting a bunch in one round.

There are some pretty reliable cures for sucking caps, but nothing I'm familiar with to keep the Rems from binding, other than stopping for a field cleaning.

I agree, the Colts are purdy.

Lots of folks use the conversions too though, and they're also a work-around for using your iron at an indoor range ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Brian in StL

I haven't worked with them much, but I think I really want a Remington Navy with a couple of muzzle loading cylinders and a conversion cylinder to use with black powder loaded .38 special. It just seems like a heck of a lot of fun.

And yeah, I know some don't agree but I think the aesthetics of the Remington are far better than most of the Colts with only the 1860 Army coming close.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I'm starting to get used to the looks of my 58. The Colts are way better balanced but they are harder to shoot because of the caps and the hammer notch sights.

As far as your plan, I would strongly reconsider some aspects of it. The cylinder is not meant to be removed constantly, you'll go through a lot of screws and leaf springs (which likely need to be handfitted).

If you want to shoot a colt quicker, I'd suggest
1. Getting two of them
2. Get the conversion kit that comes with the gate/ejector
3. Get a factory centerfire conversion gun from Uberti/Cimmaron via Taylor

1 and 3 make the most sense imo

curtism1234 wrote:As far as your plan, I would strongly reconsider some aspects of it. The cylinder is not meant to be removed constantly, you'll go through a lot of screws and leaf springs (which likely need to be handfitted).

If you want to shoot a colt quicker, I'd suggest
1. Getting two of them
2. Get the conversion kit that comes with the gate/ejector
3. Get a factory centerfire conversion gun from Uberti/Cimmaron via Taylor

1 and 3 make the most sense imo
For me, I think it's less about speed, and more about being able to squeak in some more use out of the iron at an indoor range.
What screws and springs do you speak of? the only parts to experience increased wear & tear should be the wedge and perhaps the arbor hole (keyway? not sure it's proper term)

It's also an excuse to get into some hand-loading :happy:
Brian in StL

stl303 wrote:
What screws and springs do you speak of? the only parts to experience increased wear & tear should be the wedge and perhaps the arbor hole (keyway? not sure it's proper term)
Yes, the wedge and it's associated spring and screw. The screwhead is very soft and will easily round and the spring on the wedge likes to get bend - then it's almost impossible to get it back in the revolver.

I wouldn't take the wedge completely out except on accident