primitive hunting

I'm not talking about inline but actually using real black powder.

It can be a real history lesson, if my gout wasn't acting up right now I would have probably bought a muzzle loader hunting license for this year, the season started yesterday and it would have been a waste of money.

The ground is covered with slush and there is so much moisture in the air that the fog and mist has everything dripping with water.

In 2 hours it is going to start raining and will last through tomorrow with thunder and lightning. I figure even cap locks would be useless in this weather.

Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton, Edward Marshall and Davey Crockett were fair weather hunters and would just go to a tavern during this hunting season.

Just walking around with a horn full of powder it would have to be sealed air tight with bees wax since black powder is such a desiccant it would be wet in short order.

Re: primitive hunting

valen wrote:I took my flintlock up for Rifle season this year, but I didn't see any deer to shoot.
I don't know if you have had much experience at hunting with a flintlock but having a clump of snow fall from a tree branch and land on the barrel and lock will put an end to the hunt pronto. If the temps are in the high 20s the snow will liquify immediatly and flow right into the pan. The prime will turn into thick black ink and ooze into the vent. Even with a calves knee wrapped around the lock it is very difficult to make a good seal with bees wax. You can learn a lot about what 18th century long hunters had to go through for any success. Rained all night here and more during the day today and tomorrow. If I was Danl Boone I would just go to the Boonesborough sports bar for some whiskey and ale.

eelj wrote:
valen wrote:I took my flintlock up for Rifle season this year, but I didn't see any deer to shoot.
I don't know if you have had much experience at hunting with a flintlock but having a clump of snow fall from a tree branch and land on the barrel and lock will put an end to the hunt pronto. If the temps are in the high 20s the snow will liquify immediatly and flow right into the pan. The prime will turn into thick black ink and ooze into the vent. Even with a calves knee wrapped around the lock it is very difficult to make a good seal with bees wax. You can learn a lot about what 18th century long hunters had to go through for any success. Rained all night here and more during the day today and tomorrow. If I was Danl Boone I would just go to the Boonesborough sports bar for some whiskey and ale.
I'm very familiar with the flintlock mechanism. I brought a centerfire for rainy weather and then got tired of discharging and cleaning the flintlock every night and just carried the centerfire rifle the rest of the week. I was up north for the opening week of firearms season in michigan and we had dry warm weather the whole time. Perfect conditions for the flintlock and the shooter, just no deer...

I've been hunting with a sidelock since '94 and have killed more than 50% of my deer with that gun.

Hunting in the rain can be done, you just have to be prepared for it and hopefully the worst that happens is a short hangfire.

Load the rifle at home where it's dry and cap it in the vehicle before you get out in the rain. If you hunt in a tree stand, you're going to have to expose it though.

Musket caps are better than the percussion (though you need a different nipple and the poi is prob going to change a bit).

Use a tube of vasoline and apply it around the base of the nipple.

This will work for flintlocks too --- take a piece of pretty soft vinyl sheet and shape it to cover the lock area and under the trigger guard. Then install a snap button. Then when you're walking/sitting make sure you have your jacket open and tuck the lock area into your jacket. Leave room to breath so it doesn't sweat. This paragraph alone will significantly reduce your chances of a dud.

curtism1234 wrote:I've been hunting with a sidelock since '94 and have killed more than 50% of my deer with that gun.

Hunting in the rain can be done, you just have to be prepared for it and hopefully the worst that happens is a short hangfire.

Load the rifle at home where it's dry and cap it in the vehicle before you get out in the rain. If you hunt in a tree stand, you're going to have to expose it though.

Musket caps are better than the percussion (though you need a different nipple and the poi is prob going to change a bit).

This will work for flintlocks too --- take a piece of pretty soft vinyl sheet and shape it to cover the lock area and under the trigger guard. Then install a snap button. Then when you're walking/sitting make sure you have your jacket open and tuck the lock area into your jacket. Leave room to breath so it doesn't sweat. This paragraph alone will significantly reduce your chances of a dud.
You never tried it and the flintlock is a different kettle of fish then a cap gun. Also real black is different then 777, the caw or calf knee has been around for centuries and so has the use of bees wax applied around the pan and the vent hole. Nothing works when a bucket of snow drops out of a tree and lands on a lock and barrel, I know from experience.

curtism1234 wrote:I've been hunting with a sidelock since '94 and have killed more than 50% of my deer with that gun.

Seems like a lot of work to just sit in the tavern.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan