Which Clint Eastwood Gun?

Josey Wales: Colt Walker
Total votes: 1 (5%)
The Man with No Name: Colt 1851 Navy
Total votes: 7 (37%)
Preacher: Remington 1858 New Army
Total votes: 6 (32%)
Harry Callahan: Smith & Wesson Model 29. (Who needs black powder when you can ask people if they feel lucky?)
Total votes: 1 (5%)
You know what, that whole chair thing was really weird and he voted for Trump so let's just forget about Clint entirely: Ruger Old Army
Total votes: 4 (21%)
Total votes: 19

Re: First Black Powder Revolver

Without a doubt, the full size barrel (8" I believe) 1858 if you want black powder.

It will not shoot high like the colts, it will not jam caps like the colts, it's easier to take apart, and extra cylinders / conversion cylinders are available if you would like. The steel gun can be loaded quite hot, I've done 35 grains of 777 before.

That's what I'd go with. The Uberti has the dovetail front sight but only buy it from Taylors online (these things often have problems and taylors get the best of the lot) or buy a Pietta (fixed front sight but you can have it dovetailed for 30-40 bucks) at bass/cabelas.

Flap holsters from Triple K fit great

Smith and Wesson 29 would be fine. The Ruger Blackhawk would serve you well but it's not as clean of a look as the fixed sight single action army clones.

I voted 1851 Navy, because it is closest to what I would vote for if it was on the list, Colt 1860 Army.

That's the most beautiful (proportional) firearm ever made, IMO.

Now if you just want an Eastwood tribute gun, consider an old school 1911 like in Gran Torino.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:Now if you just want an Eastwood tribute gun, consider an old school 1911 like in Gran Torino.
I have no particular attachment to Clint, it was just an amusing way to structure the poll.

And I've got a (relatively) old school 1911 in the Springfield Range Officer. None of this rail and forward serration stuff! I'll take the nice sights, though.

Elmo wrote:I voted 1851 Navy, because it is closest to what I would vote for if it was on the list, Colt 1860 Army.

That's the most beautiful (proportional) firearm ever made, IMO.

Now if you just want an Eastwood tribute gun, consider an old school 1911 like in Gran Torino.
Or the 44 mag mod 29 smith, or the amt auto mag, or ......

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

First was CVA Tower pistol kit. Finished it around 1985. Sort of. The hammer was misaligned to the nipple. Followed Bubba's advice on 'proper' fix, broke it. Stumbled across some bp bits at a gun show, hammer fit, sort of. It's a wall hanger to this day.
Second was a SS ROA, don't have it anymore. I now have a Pietta 1858 Reminington New Army 5-1/2"', and a (an?) Uberti 1860 Army and 1861 Navy.
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.

popgunn wrote:First was CVA Tower pistol kit. Finished it around 1985. Sort of. The hammer was misaligned to the nipple. Followed Bubba's advice on 'proper' fix, broke it. Stumbled across some bp bits at a gun show, hammer fit, sort of. It's a wall hanger to this day.
Second was a SS ROA, don't have it anymore. I now have a Pietta 1858 Reminington New Army 5-1/2"', and a (an?) Uberti 1860 Army and 1861 Navy.
Wondering what you paid for it? My dad bought a cva Philadelphia derringer kit, and has his receipt from 1975. $19.99.

Today Dixie gets $195 for the same cva kit.

Bloody amazing.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

curtism1234 wrote:Without a doubt, the full size barrel (8" I believe) 1858 if you want black powder.

It will not shoot high like the colts,
Not in my experience. Every 1858 variation I've got shoots just as high as the Colts. I'm holding at the very bottom of the B2/B3 targets for Bullseye, and I'm still hitting in the upper half..
curtism1234 wrote: it will not jam caps like the colts, it's easier to take apart, and extra cylinders / conversion cylinders are available if you would like.
Cap sucking - yes, but that's also easily alleviated in the Colts. Just stone down those sharp knife edges on the hammer in that "safety nub" notch.. and if you order some Slix Shot nips, you've doubled-down on curing the cap sucking.
Easier to take apart? Maybe the cylinder, but the receiver internals are a lot more fidgety IMO.
Extra Cyls and conversion cyls are available for the Colts as well. But for either flavor, you're better off just buying a "Factory Conversion" from Cimarron instead of separates, unless you *really* want to switch back n forth. Also a "factory conversion" allows you to use cheaper smokeless powder .44 loads. That "cowboy" stuff is beaucoup expensive.. you'll be getting into reloading real quick if you do much of it.
curtism1234 wrote: The steel gun can be loaded quite hot, I've done 35 grains of 777 before.
Hot loads are fun, but my best accuracy seems to dial in at the low 20's for 777.
curtism1234 wrote: That's what I'd go with. The Uberti has the dovetail front sight but only buy it from Taylors online (these things often have problems and taylors get the best of the lot) or buy a Pietta (fixed front sight but you can have it dovetailed for 30-40 bucks) at bass/cabelas.
You must have some special big-boxes there... neither the BP or Cabela's here offer any type of smithing services at all. no fair!
Brian in StL

An update: I went down to my local(ish) purveyor of shooting irons and spent some quality time with a vary patient clerk as I agonized deeply over an 1860 and a Walker (both from Uberti). Eventually the sheer mass and promised boom of the Walker won out, but I really liked the feel of the 1860 and I would not be surprised if I wound up with one eventually.

Actual black powder is surprisingly hard to find around here. The store was out, my reloading guy only carries substitutes, and I had to do a couple of shooting trips with Pyrodex. I did locate a supplier and have a pound of FFFg for this weekend if it isn't bitter cold.

I am pleased to report no unexpected problems with the Walker, by which I mean that while it shoots wicked high and the loading lever drops under heavy charges, the timing is fine, the fit and finish is acceptable, and the action is smooth.

Anyway, Midway put the Uberti 1858 on sale and it just kinda jumped into my cart, so I will have that to report on soon as well (depending on the weather this weekend).

I think I'm going full cowboy, because now I want a levergun.

The first time I shot my .36 Navy clone I laughed out loud it was so fun. Used to smokeless powder recoil, I was completely surprised by the fffffft of the shot. Just so fun. It did take quite a while to load it the first time. I used Crisco to prevent chain fire, so it smelled like popcorn popping when I shot it. Totally fun. A bit of a hassle to load but worth it.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

curtism1234 wrote:Take a piece of rawhide leather shoestrings or velco for that matter and you can tie down the loading lever.

Lots of people don't like using it, but I love 777 powder for these handguns. They don't gum up nearly as bad and is much more forgiving if you don't have time to clean it within a couple days.
+1
I like 777 also. MUCH easier to come by, and cleans up nice.. and if you're like me and really bad about cleaning stuff right away, letting it go for a few days won't hurt a thing.
You need to use a tad less of it though, with the Walker I think the recommended load for a substitute is about 40 grains.

I need to start experimenting with some filler myself. some of the loads are pretty tiny and the rammer may not seat the ball fully to the powder.
Brian in StL