Blackpowder Day 1

I was at the range all day yesterday and got the chance to finally shoot my new blackpowder rifle that I acquired last week: a reproduction of a 1841 Wesson and Prescott boxlock rifle.
20170218_103057_resized.jpg
With a brass scope mounted it was also a popular sniper rifle during the Civil War.
ed_st_overfence_l.jpg
The range I'm newly a member of has a dedicated blackpowder/silhouette range featuring steel targets from 25 to 100 yards. The blackpowder group was having their monthly trail shoot yesterday. Most people there yesterday are re-enactors that like to go to Mountain Man rendezvous and carried Hawkens or Pennsylvania rifles. Not having shot blackpowder in many years (and never a blackpowder rifle, just pistol) I only had the basic kit and some Pyrodex. Real blackpowder cannot be had in Portland: you have to drive 2 hours down to Springfield or Keizer to get some. One of the shooters there graciously let me pour out some real blackpowder from his 1826 powder horn (real, not a reproduction). To my surprise I actually hit the majority of the targets, although the damned moving buffalo on a rope pulley system escaped me. Leading a "running" buffalo is an acquired skill. (I'll get you next time Mr. Buff!). Shooting blackpowder muzzleloaders is pleasant and relaxing with a fair bit of socializing done on the side (we shared a bowl of chili afterwards and swapped yarns). I see the attraction. I'll be back to shoot more blackpowder, although the buckskins and fur hat thing may take a while.

Re: Blackpowder Day 1

Nice.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more