Re: camping and backpacking

Early 20s, anyway. My hip didn't start giving me trouble until 29, and an overnight death march in the Green Mountains. I got to see my first black bear in the wild and began reconsidering the utility of handguns. :lol: Brought an inflatable mattress on my hiking trips in upstate NY, but the hip hasn't improved.

A little jealous of the Machu Picchu experiences, not gonna lie.

Now, I did the Catalinas in my early 20s. Do it, TnG. You're not getting younger! :D

In my 20’s I had a 2nd Nissan hardbody with a bench seat, a good mountain bike a tent and a backpack. I used then all almost every weekend and would often not bother with the tent, just the back of the truck or sleeping pad by the fire. I went mountain biking two weekends ago and slept on the ground in a tent for three nights. OMFG, torture! The campsite was covered in SHARP gravel and you were only allowed to put your tent on that. Even after three days, forty ish miles, 4000 or so feet of climbing and too many beers I couldn’t get a good nights rest! I love my camper all the more now!
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:01 am In my 20’s I had a 2nd Nissan hardbody with a bench seat, a good mountain bike a tent and a backpack. I used then all almost every weekend and would often not bother with the tent, just the back of the truck or sleeping pad by the fire. I went mountain biking two weekends ago and slept on the ground in a tent for three nights. OMFG, torture! The campsite was covered in SHARP gravel and you were only allowed to put your tent on that. Even after three days, forty ish miles, 4000 or so feet of climbing and too many beers I couldn’t get a good nights rest! I love my camper all the more now!
Yeah, my 67 old back with 2 ruptured disks, my artificial hips, my once-dislocated shoulder all belie sleeping on the hard, hard ground anymore!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."