Re: Shootin and Ridin: any motorcyclists here?

There is more to navigating a turn or a curve than just leaning, you need to pick a spot on the road you want to come out at and look there through the whole turn.

when it comes to helmets bell had a great slogan years ago, "if you have a cheap head buy a cheap helmet". I like HJC and Shoei helmets because they fit my head shape. Try many on and you want it snug but comfortable, they will be the quietest ones.

I like full face helmets and feel uncomfortable without one. I know the one I was wearing years ago riding with a group in SDak saved my bacon when the truck pulling a trailer full of Harleys kicked up a covey of grouse and one hit me right on the chin bar. I was right at 65MPH.

eelj wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:31 am There is more to navigating a turn or a curve than just leaning, you need to pick a spot on the road you want to come out at and look there through the whole turn.

when it comes to helmets bell had a great slogan years ago, "if you have a cheap head buy a cheap helmet". I like HJC and Shoei helmets because they fit my head shape. Try many on and you want it snug but comfortable, they will be the quietest ones.

I like full face helmets and feel uncomfortable without one. I know the one I was wearing years ago riding with a group in SDak saved my bacon when the truck pulling a trailer full of Harleys kicked up a covey of grouse and one hit me right on the chin bar. I was right at 65MPH.
I'll leave the turning dynamics to the MSF class, rather than trying to inundate a beginner with excessive details and rules. You cannot remember all the turning techniques unless you can immediately try them and get them into muscle memory.

I have liked Shoei and AGV helmets, and dislike over-priced and under-performing Arai. HJC used to be a lower cost, but still Snell helmet, but they didn't fit me too well.
I generally prefer Italian helmets for comfort and visibility. I still have the AGV that saved my noggin 15 years ago. Never wore it again--one crash and the brain bucket is no longer safe--but couldn't throw it out. While Nolans are not Snell, for reasons that are too looong to explain, are still safe and I have 2 of them, one here, one in the Bahamas.

For full coverage, I prefer a narrower chin bar, for increased range of view. Naturally, the best accident prevention is accident avoidance.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

senorgrand wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:16 pm As someone who has never ridden, what advice would you have for a noob?
YT's advice is good. Especially the MSF training. To that I'll add: get a first bike that's fairly neutral in ergonomics. Sitting fairly upright with the pegs under you, rather than way forward or rear ward is ideal. A small to medium bike is preferable to anything that is heavy or too powerful. No need to make that learning curve any steeper.... And lastly, make sure it's new enough to have good brakes and controls. Good brakes and knowing how to use them inspires confidence. :D

Oh, and buy a Snell/ECE rated helmet that's comfortable. All of the major brands are good. I'm partial to Bell Star helmets because they fit me well. Don't forget the rest of the gear either; jacket, boots, gloves, and pants. Good gear will save your bacon. I know from first hand experience.
Last edited by MaxWyatt on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

senorgrand wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:08 pm Also, jacket and pants or one piece?
Either way works, two piece synthetics are probably more convenient. zip together is best if using a two piece. FWIW, I have a synthetic two-piece for rain and dual sport riding, leather two-piece for longer road rides, and a leather onesie for track days. Like other hobbies, one tends to gather gear as the years accumulate. ;)

MaxWyatt wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 pm
senorgrand wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:08 pm Also, jacket and pants or one piece?
Either way works, two piece synthetics are probably more convenient. zip together is best if using a two piece. FWIW, I have a synthetic two-piece for rain and dual sport riding, leather two-piece for longer road rides, and a leather onesie for track days. Like other hobbies, one tends to gather gear as the years accumulate. ;)
Don't forget summer riding mesh--with reinforced, armored elbows, shoulders and back. When I went down 15 years ago, I dislocated my right shoulder, because my elbow hit the ground, but the armor protected my elbow so it wasn't shattered, too. I figured it out later because of the score markings on my leather. Draggin' Jeans are great too as they are lined with kevlar. They don't absorb energy but they protect against road rash better than leather. I know this, too, the hard way from that day! I remember starting to go down, then being on the ground and telling myself "let yourself roll!" Between has been a blank since then.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

i remember when i dumped my kawasaki and it threw me off as it slid up under the car ahead. the question in my mind as the pavement came rushing up to meet me was "roll or slide?" and after giving the question all the due consideration a fraction of a second affords you, the answer came as another question, "do you want one big injury or lots of small ones?", which i had just enough time left to answer: "lots of small ones." so i rolled. good choice, i walked away. picked gravel out of my leg for a while, but the leg was still attached. rode a couple of times after that, but the thrill was gone. every once in a while i look longingly at motorcycles. if i stumbled on another H1, i'm not sure what i'd do.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:45 pm i remember when i dumped my kawasaki and it threw me off as it slid up under the car ahead. the question in my mind as the pavement came rushing up to meet me was "roll or slide?" and after giving the question all the due consideration a fraction of a second affords you, the answer came as another question, "do you want one big injury or lots of small ones?", which i had just enough time left to answer: "lots of small ones." so i rolled. good choice, i walked away. picked gravel out of my leg for a while, but the leg was still attached. rode a couple of times after that, but the thrill was gone. every once in a while i look longingly at motorcycles. if i stumbled on another H1, i'm not sure what i'd do.
Admire but don't ride it! Today's bikes are not only much faster, they are FAR safer, better handling, better tires, better suspensions, better brakes. No more flexible flyer frames and skinny bicycle tires!

Oh, gee, this is what I get for not logging in the forums for awhile, but yes, motorcycles are like guns for me in that I have more of both these things than common sense per se.

My present stable of bikes includes a 1991 Honda ST1100, a 1983 Honda XL600R, a 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000, and a 1976 Harley-Davidson FXE Liberty Edition. Beside these there is also a 2000 Yamaha RT100 that my wife rides when we go camping, and my youngest son has a DB30 minibike.

I generally do not carry while I’m riding, because my workplace prohibits firearms on the premises, and on weekends there’s usually some moderate alcohol consumption :beer2: happening with the riding group and we definitely don’t need to be adding firearms into that mix. If I am riding in some other context than these, then yes, I am normally carrying my EDC in a concealed fashion.

I guess if it’s made of metal and blows hot gas out one end of a pipe, it is something I can find some happiness in having, whether it has wheels or iron sights.
- pzc

Pantechnicon wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:27 pm Oh, gee, this is what I get for not logging in the forums for awhile, but yes, motorcycles are like guns for me in that I have more of both these things than common sense per se.

My present stable of bikes includes a 1991 Honda ST1100, a 1983 Honda XL600R, a 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000, and a 1976 Harley-Davidson FXE Liberty Edition. Beside these there is also a 2000 Yamaha RT100 that my wife rides when we go camping, and my youngest son has a DB30 minibike.

I generally do not carry while I’m riding, because my workplace prohibits firearms on the premises, and on weekends there’s usually some moderate alcohol consumption :beer2: happening with the riding group and we definitely don’t need to be adding firearms into that mix. If I am riding in some other context than these, then yes, I am normally carrying my EDC in a concealed fashion.

I guess if it’s made of metal and blows hot gas out one end of a pipe, it is something I can find some happiness in having, whether it has wheels or iron sights.
Nice! Is my memory correct that the ST1100 is a V-4? I'm always amazed they didn't displace inline 4s.