Re: Shootin and Ridin: any motorcyclists here?

Have '57 BMW r50/2 that I bought when I was 18, fresh out of boot camp, many moons ago. For many years I had a really tits Vespa p200e which I sold in order to get my then new wife a fine road bike (the pedal kind). The beemer rocks.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I've been riding motorcycles for the last 45 yrs.. Had close to 30 bikes in my life.
I spent my prime time (age 20-40) racing motcross , enduros and desert racing.
I'm enjoying retirement now with my 08 Harley Ultra Classic... When I can't ride anymore , I guess it will be my time to check out of this world.

1982 Husqvarna 250wr

2008 Harley FLHTCU & 1995 GL1500se Goldwing

Always tell the Truth...it's easier to remember.

Suppose I should chime in here. I've had bikes for 30 years now.

My first was a 75 Suzuki GT500 two-stroke twin. That was some fun.

Then I sold it and bought an 80 Honda CB750F. Put a few miles on that thing. Rode it from Mpls to Glacier Park and back with my sister on the back.

After I sold that to a friend I bought a pretty clapped out 84 Kawasaki 750 Turbo. I worked in a machine shop that the time so we made new bearings for the turbo.

Here is a photo of a nice looking copy. Unfortunately not mine.

This was also the only bike I've had a get-off on. In the middle of nowhere Utah I had an oil cooler line let go and cover the rear tire with oil. Since I was in Utah, the road was straight, so I kept it up while I pulled off the road. Had to wait quite a while for someone to stop and help. Ended up taking it to some welding shop where they brazed the line back together.

Unfortunately the braze let go in a curve on Bear Tooth Pass in Wyoming. This time I went down. Manage to bang my elbow and maybe crack a bone in my thumb. The whole left side of the bike was also pretty smashed up. I jumped up, cussing, and managed to get the bike off the road. Then I caught a ride to Yellowstone National Park with a couple of German tourists. Ended up bussing and flying home. A month or so later I borrowed a pickup and roadtripped out with a friend to pick up the bike. The insurance company totaled it, but I repaired it and sold it to a co-worker. I still miss that bike. I keep thinking I'm going to buy another one sometime. That bike was a hoot and a half.

After I got back from Yellowstone I bought an 81 BMW R100RS from a friend who was selling it because he was getting scared of riding it in traffic. I love that bike and still have it.

Here it is in Bear Tooth Pass (yes, I went back. I love Bear Tooth Pass.)

I hopped it up with a two into one exhaust and some flat-slide Mikuni carbs. I never did get the carbs dialed in very well, but it was fun to ride. I parked it about 7 years ago, but just dug it out to get it running again. Should have it going in the spring.

In 99 I bought a friend's 92 BMW K1100RS. This bike was setup for long distance riding and had completed two Iron Butt rallies. I have run several Minnesota 1000 rallies - a one day version of the Iron Butt. Here is my first try.

This is what the K1100RS looked like when I bought it. You can read more details about it here.

A few years ago I got some freshly painted nicer bodywork for the beast and now it looks like this.

The K1100RS has been my daily driver pretty much since I bought it.

Last year we bought at 84 Honda CB450 twin for the wife to ride. Maybe next year she will actually have time to ride it.

I have also owned and sold:
  • A 73 Honda CB350 Twin - given to me by a friend who ran it out of oil. I took it apart in my basement where it lived in boxes for many years until I sold it, still in boxes, for 18 cans of Guinness.
  • An 83 Kawasaki GPz305 - cute little twin version of the GPz bikes. I sold it because my wife wanted something more upright.
  • An 8? Yamaha Seca 750 that I got for free and bolted a sidecar to. After a couple of years I took the sidecar off and sold them both - the bike because it needed work and I wish I had kept the sidecar...
  • A 92 Yamaha FJ1200 that I also got for free. It had a jillion miles on it. I put about $500 worth of parts in it, did a 1000 mile rally and decided it just didn't fit me. Managed to sell it this fall to pay for parts for the R100RS.
So, currently three in the garage.
-+-+-+-+
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space. Everything else is just opinion." -Democritus 
-+-+-+-+-
Come check out my custom 1911 grips and other wooden items at my Etsy store.

This is the photo I took the day I picked the bike up from the dealer:

Pretty much all I've done is add some green rim tape, which looks really sharp, and a couple different luggage options I switch back and forth between. Have a pair of saddlebags, but right now it's just a small tail bag. Not crazy stupid fast, but fast enough to get me in trouble.

My daughter had forbade me from posting pics of my granddaughter on the internet. She has since changed her mind so a pic of my 2000 jackal with my granddaughter on it. The luggage and racks are made by me so don't think I bought such ugly shit for it.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw
Attachments
07_05_233.jpg

Simmer down wrote:
xymotic wrote:I'm not sure I'm allowed to post here or not since I only have one and it's my only vehicle

It is currently doing double duty as a fancy decoration for my living - Room

2008 Husqvarna TE610
Looks like a lot of my projects.

Yeah I've been putting off some maintenance on it for a little too long and now she's finally getting some much needed love

replacing stator cover that's leaking oil
Had to take the subframe off and re-weld it for like the 4th time
And since I was so far into that decided to swap out the entire wiring harness because I had some melted connectors on the regulator and elsewhere
And since I that meant taking everything apart decided it was time to do the head bearings and swingarm bearings and cam chain and valves and weld a leaky exhaust and and and...

One thing I will say about Italians is they hate & rebel against normal electrical conventions in very creative & unique ways :albert:

My all time favorite- Kawasaki KLR 650. The SKS of motorsickles. Reliable as a hammer. It's been coast to coast, border to border [and across both]. It ain't the Homecoming Queen by any means, and I doubt there's a piece chromed on it. It's the girl from band camp, the ol' reliable. It's now pushing 85,000 miles and going through oil like the Exxon Valdez. Top end before spring and she'll be good for 85K more.

It has stable mates....a KLR 250, A Kawasaki Concours C-10 and a C-14, and of course a Harley. That saves me from having to defend my sexuality. It's a Roadglide. I don't ride the 'glide much. I get a pass from a lot of riders when I pull up on that fugly KLR, and they gather around it, swaying between revulsion and disbelief, and they try to find words to form questions of why, why here in the free world would you ride that hybrid mad max thing.........I just nod and say I got a Roadglide back at the house. They loosen their defensive grip on their children and wallets a little bit then. So it serves it's purpose.

And to tie in the shootin' part....before the tragic canoe accident where all my firearms went to the bottom of the lake, I had a Kel Tec Sub-2000 in .40sw set up for Beretta mags that fit [inside] under the lid of the left hand pannier [saddlebag], held in place in a soft case with two velcro straps attached to the lid. To the front of the gas tank you see a bag hanging. It has a twin on the other side, and it has a soft holster on the back side between the tank and the bag that held a Beretta Model 96 in 40sw, the magazines interchangeable with the Sub-2000 in the back bag.

old thread back from the dead.
had a series of kawasakis, a honda and a yamaha. the H1 2 stroke triple was the best. it ended up under the gas tank of the car ahead of me. i walked away with a light case of road rash. i rode it again, but the thrill was gone. there's a picture of it somewhere. durn, i loved that bike.
i'm occasionally tempted to get an h1 basket case to restore and just look at in the garage, but then i know i'd end up riding it.... :confused:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Ah man, if there is anything I enjoy more than shooting it's riding my motorcycle. I've been riding the last 6 years or so, when I turned 21. I've owned an 82 CB750, 74 KZ400, 97 Triumph Thunderbird, 2010 Sportster and now current (and favorite) 93 FXDWG 90th anniversary edition.

And here is just a cool pic my financee took last year.

Sent to space and back with handheld device... Takes a minute.

Fukshot wrote:Oh the triple trouble! I had an H2 for a minute. Scary fun.
h-series were a blast. i rode with a friend who had the 750. i rode it a couple of times, but preferred the 500. 750 was too heavy for my liking. still have the shop manual. :weep:

curiously enough, the first guns i owned had to do with a motorcycle. a neighbor borrowed my kaw 175 to get around town, gave me 3 rifles to hold as security, some sort of bolt gun and a lever gun and something else, then skipped town with the bike. i didn't know anything about guns, didn't want them, sold them to a gun shop for $200, about what i'd paid for the bike.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

A friend of mine years ago had a 500 Kawie and when I rode with him on my Norton 20M3 it involved riding wide open laying across the bike like Rollie Free, other wise he would be in the lead and I would look like I had been dipped in a vat of oil from his exhaust. It was not a very green moto.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw