Re: Shootin and Ridin: any motorcyclists here?

eelj wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:22 am I have 2 Aerostitch Darian jackets, one a hiviz yellow nylon with gore tex and a waxed cotton Falstaff. The waxed cotton is better in the rain.
I have the jacket and pants in what was supposed to be gray but is olive drab. On an 800 mile trip it leaked. On the trip home, it leaked as well! My old North Face Goretex shell--jacket and pants, work far better but have no crash protection.
I long ago decided to avoid riding in the rain whenever I can. Yet, inevitably, whenever I ride the FZ1, rain seems to find me! :evilmad:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

It's a torture rack around town. I have a DR650 for that. The R6 is primarily a track toy, but I recently did 175 mile ride on it. Some rarely used muscles were sore, but I recovered quickly enough. Riding it is all about proper technique and letting yourself become one with the bike and not fighting it. Don't bother trying to sit upright, it will punish you for your insolence.... :-)

MaxWyatt wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:41 pm It's a torture rack around town. I have a DR650 for that. The R6 is primarily a track toy, but I recently did 175 mile ride on it. Some rarely used muscles were sore, but I recovered quickly enough. Riding it is all about proper technique and letting yourself become one with the bike and not fighting it. Don't bother trying to sit upright, it will punish you for your insolence.... :-)
You gotta be younger than me without ruptured discs!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

senorgrand wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:19 am For those who shoot and ride, how do you transport long guns? Just curious if this is possible...
If a person has an imagination you would be surprised what you can take along. I have always used my pickup truck for hunting and shooting but my last time touring cross country I fabbed up a trailer hitch and trailer for my Guzzi and hauled an incredible amount of gear, including 4 cases of beer, a case of wine and 4 litres of bourbon.

As things get worse on Abaco, we are wondering if at some point our house will be looted. So far, armed members of the community we own our place in, have been standing guard at the entrance road. But we don't know if they'll be able to stay or have to leave. Some dear friends are being evacuated because of health issues today. But how long the healthy folks can / will stay I cannot predict.

My FZ1 that is just a whole lot of fun to ride, and doesn't beat me up, does over 150, and handles marvelously, is there. I'm really going to hate to lose it as I've got so much invested in that bike, more than just $$$. I bought it new in 2002, jetted it, Yoshimura exhaust, custom exhaust, braided brake lines, hugger, custom rack, beautiful Chase Harper saddle bags and rack bag, custom rack, windshield, fairing, sliders, heavily modified DayRider seat.
FZ1done.jpg

eelj wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:55 am
senorgrand wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:19 am For those who shoot and ride, how do you transport long guns? Just curious if this is possible...
If a person has an imagination you would be surprised what you can take along. I have always used my pickup truck for hunting and shooting but my last time touring cross country I fabbed up a trailer hitch and trailer for my Guzzi and hauled an incredible amount of gear, including 4 cases of beer, a case of wine and 4 litres of bourbon.
Are you a bootlegger? ;)

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:19 pm As things get worse on Abaco, we are wondering if at some point our house will be looted. So far, armed members of the community we own our place in, have been standing guard at the entrance road. But we don't know if they'll be able to stay or have to leave. Some dear friends are being evacuated because of health issues today. But how long the healthy folks can / will stay I cannot predict.

My FZ1 that is just a whole lot of fun to ride, and doesn't beat me up, does over 150, and handles marvelously, is there. I'm really going to hate to lose it as I've got so much invested in that bike, more than just $$$. I bought it new in 2002, jetted it, Yoshimura exhaust, custom exhaust, braided brake lines, hugger, custom rack, beautiful Chase Harper saddle bags and rack bag, custom rack, windshield, fairing, sliders, heavily modified DayRider seat.

FZ1done.jpg
Jesus YT....sorry for that madness...

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:33 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:19 pm As things get worse on Abaco, we are wondering if at some point our house will be looted. So far, armed members of the community we own our place in, have been standing guard at the entrance road. But we don't know if they'll be able to stay or have to leave. Some dear friends are being evacuated because of health issues today. But how long the healthy folks can / will stay I cannot predict.

FZ1done.jpg
Jesus YT....sorry for that madness...
All we can do now is wait and see...and hope it works out OK.

senorgrand wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:16 pm As someone who has never ridden, what advice would you have for a noob?
As someone who started riding in 1976 a few things:
1) learn how so circle left and right and do figure 8s in a space the wide of as standard side street--one lane each direction. You'll want to be able to do all 3 repeatedly WITHOUT putting your feet down.
2) At anything other than very slow speeds, you steer by leaning AND by steering the opposite direction--I know it sounds crazy but it makes the bike lean over.
3) Most accidents happen in the first 6 months of riding a new bike--regardless of experience.
4) 70% of your braking is your front wheel...on Can-Am 3 wheeler that % is even higher
5) Before you do ANYTHING else, find a local Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) class and take the beginner's class. It used to be a 2 day class and they provided the bikes. It's actually a whole lot of fun! I took the Experienced Rider class after I went down in 2004, after re-hab. It was also a lot of fun! Before the class, I suggest you buy a good, full-coverage helmet, the best you can afford. It's best if it's Snell Foundation approved--it will have a yellow sticker inside that says SNELL. It should be snug, but not tight, but will loosen--slightly. You'll be wearing it a LOT so...and your foam ear plugs will be an asset!
6) Remember: You are INVISIBLE to most cars and trucks, and too many of the rest aren't too fond of us. Something like 90% of car ("cagers") vs MC accidents are the cagers' fault.
7) YOU MUST ALWAYS BE ALERT TO EVERYTHING AROUND YOU!
8) Despite all that, riding is one HELL of a lot of fun, about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on!

senorgrand wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:56 pm Thanks YT...scheduling my class next week!
Have fun! Even after riding for 28 years I learned a lot. And it was embarrassing to see the instructor, on an ancient 4 cyl Goldwing, and a cop on his police H-D running rings around me. After, I let the instructor ride the FZ1 and he couldn't BELIEVE what he could do with it compared to the 'Wing, including stoppies, wheelies and carving MUCH tighter corners , and faster than the 'Wing.

Oh. That reminds me: When you lean always (try to) keep your head perpendicular to the ground no matter how much your body from the neck down is leaning, or you can get disoriented.

senorgrand wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:51 pm I guess on the trike, you lean opposite. My aunt broke her leg when her goldwing tipped....too big.
Can-Am are unique trikes in that they lean, like 2 wheelers. Your body leans the direction you want to go, your head stays perpendicular and you counter-steer. I have no friggin' CLUE how to safely drive the conversion trikes with 2 wheels in the back that do NOT lean!