Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: The bicycle thread

Post by YankeeTarheel »

lurker wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:12 am
i'm not sure, didn't go into the man's yard. i think it was the sunbeam . i thought initially british, but when i went to wikipedia the french one turned up. i'll look again.
The British Sunbeam Alpine from the 60's to its demise has a very specific, distinctive look with some variations to the tail-fin/tail-light structure.

since you mention fire-breathers, i once had a chevy LUV truck (by isuzu). the 4-cylinder died so a motorhead friend and i put a 327 small block in it. and yes, eventually it caught fire and burned.
:laugh: :roflmao:

I had a 1990 Isuzu pickup, 4-cylinder 5-speed. It was really pretty but it was a POS. Needed a transfer case (and clutch) then it caught fire on a Zero-degree day (I had a fire extinguisher), then needed an exhaust valve job. Traded it on a '94 Nissan Extended Cab.
Last edited by YankeeTarheel on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

i only saw a tiny bit of it sticking out, so not sure. the chrome bit i saw was shaped roughly like the word "alpine".

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Different Topic:
For my winter trainer (stationary adapter) you need a different skewer for the rear quick release, one where the nut is perfectly conical, without ridges so the right-side of the clamp doesn't deform it, and the flip thin enough to fit in the slot in the left side of the clamp. So they provide a replacement skewer that I put on my Peugeot, and I bought another one for my Motobecane...the seat lowers much more easily and my wife, who is 5'1" is interested in trying it.

So my question is: Is there any reason I cannot use these skewers all the time? Other than they don't match the front ones, and are the side to side type rather than flip over the top, I see no difference from the stock skewers. This is the replacement. Looks just like the old Campy quick release skewers.
TrainerSkewer.jpg
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

i have no clue. maybe someone else has an opinion.

wooglin
Been around awhile

Post by wooglin »

As long as they hold the wheel securely I wouldn't worry about it. Might even be better than modern on an older bike with horizontal dropouts because they clamp more securely.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

wooglin wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:27 pm
As long as they hold the wheel securely I wouldn't worry about it. Might even be better than modern on an older bike with horizontal dropouts because they clamp more securely.
I dunno. The only time I've had the old ones drop-out is when I didn't have them properly adjusted. I expect as you say they'll be fine. The Peugeot's came with the bike--new in 1972! Still work fine.

Just put the mountain bike on the trainer and it's a LOT noisier because of the heavy tread. But I'm not super interested in putting a smooth trainer tire on it.

wooglin
Been around awhile

Post by wooglin »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:38 pm
I dunno. The only time I've had the old ones drop-out is when I didn't have them properly adjusted. I expect as you say they'll be fine. The Peugeot's came with the bike--new in 1972! Still work fine.
I've had modern (aluminum) skewers slip in old school dropouts on a bike I converted to fixed gear, even when properly tightened, but not old Campy or Shimano skewers. So that's what I used on that bike.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

wooglin wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote:
I've had modern (aluminum) skewers slip in old school dropouts on a bike I converted to fixed gear, even when properly tightened, but not old Campy or Shimano skewers. So that's what I used on that bike.
Mine are the original Simplex. These look and feel like steel, not aluminum.

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

Post by aasoverteakettle »

lurker wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:57 pm
Mason wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:15 pm
Google “fat bike” lurker.
familiar with the concept in general. thought they were for sand. i'm wondering how wide the tires would have to be to support bike and rider on snow. maybe spheres the size of beach balls? i seem to recall a trike with big ball-type wheels that went on water.... :sorry:
Fat bikes with 4"+ tires work great on packed snow. I confirm personally. But Fat Bike Skis are the new jam! My friend makes these as a side business.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cdyIol ... sp=sharing

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

that's marvellous! may i share that on another bike forum? is there a link to the business?

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:51 pm
wooglin wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote:
Mine are the original Simplex. These look and feel like steel, not aluminum.
Had to replace the back skewer with one made for my indoor trainer. The skewer has to have a conical nut with no ridges or flanges, and the lock has to be thin enough enough for the slot on the trainer clamp. Been using it all winter. Works just as well as a proper stationary bike.

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

lurker wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:56 pm
that's marvellous! may i share that on another bike forum? is there a link to the business?
Brooke's riding videos are much better than my little clip. Lots of his video and other info:
https://www.fatbikeskis.com/

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

thanks AOTK, dropped a link on a bike forum i frequent. and your little clip got me interested so it's good. :thumbup:

what the heck, i dropped it in here: http://budgetbicycleboards.freeforums.net/
i don't do bikes that much, but i've cluttered up his gun section pretty good.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

on mason's advice, i took violet the peugeot out for a spin. first time since, um, fall? had to pump up the rear tire, otherwise a great time, waved at some kids, felt like 10 yrs old again. winded but exhilarating.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

lurker wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:06 pm
on mason's advice, i took violet the peugeot out for a spin. first time since, um, fall? had to pump up the rear tire, otherwise a great time, waved at some kids, felt like 10 yrs old again. winded but exhilarating.
Sounds great! It may JUST be nice enough tomorrow to do the same. I'm sure the Peugeot will need air, the Motobecane is stilled hooked to the stationary trainer.
Maybe I'll watch the Tarheels play tomorrow on it! They sure looked shitty the 1st half but exploded in the 2nd. Virginia did the same. I think it's the first time TWO #1 seeds were behind at half-time.

I'll be looking for UC-Irvine to win tomorrow as well. Best "mascot" in the Tournament--the Anteaters! Named for Johnny Hart's BC comic character (ZOT!) by the 60's Cali students.

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

Spring service for my single speed Surly hubs on my cruiser bike. Replaced both sets of bearings. Good bearing: Image

Bad bearing:Image

Good times coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Which one's the good one??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops2:

wooglin
Been around awhile

Post by wooglin »

Maybe you should do that spring service more often. Maybe every spring.

jamhand
Helpful Contributor

Post by jamhand »

dwnhlldav wrote:
Bucolic wrote:Damn you all make me feel old. I have a team criterium bike from about 1975. Chromed 531 double bottled frame with beautiful tapered lugs. Campy super record and Cinelli parts. Used to ride on silk sew-ups. I was 70 pounds lighter then... the only other thing I changed was to take off the super record pedals and replace them with Looks.

It's hanging in a dry part of the barn with a couple other bikes. I took them all down last year, repacked bearings, etc. I gotta get back on them,.
Sounds like a beauty. I had the chance to buy a Masi with super record identical to the bike that Dave rode in Breaking Away. Being a broke college student, I didn't buy it...

I found one of those Masi frames in my size on Craigslist for $600 back in 2012 and snapped it up. It’s red and I think the one in Breaking Away is orange but otherwise same bike. Great ride. Super smooth. Keep your eye on Craigslist and eBay.

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

wooglin wrote:Maybe you should do that spring service more often. Maybe every spring.
No maybes about it. Definitely!

I had the stay-puft marshmallow man of ghost creaks all last summer. Okokok, it was there the summer before that. Could not find the source. Well I found the source!

Some bikes, like guns, will run under some very adverse conditions.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

We just rented bikes on the San Francisco waterfront this morning to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, then ferried back. We left at 9am and got back at 1, but over 2 hours of that was the ferry, waiting for it and the ride back. It was bitter cold and windy but sunny. It was a gift to my 14 year old...there is no one else on Earth I'd do this with (neither my wife nor my older son bicycle). I ESPECIALLY hate riding in cold, windy weather. But he LOVED it, though it wore us out! I'm going to be 64 this summer...I'm gettin' too old for this shit! But the look on his face when we made it to the ferry...Priceless!

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

YankeeTarheel wrote:We just rented bikes on the San Francisco waterfront this morning to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, then ferried back. We left at 9am and got back at 1, but over 2 hours of that was the ferry, waiting for it and the ride back. It was bitter cold and windy but sunny. It was a gift to my 14 year old...there is no one else on Earth I'd do this with (neither my wife nor my older son bicycle). I ESPECIALLY hate riding in cold, windy weather. But he LOVED it, though it wore us out! I'm going to be 64 this summer...I'm gettin' too old for this shit! But the look on his face when we made it to the ferry...Priceless!
Riding with my dad is still an all time favorite memory. Good on you.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

aasoverteakettle wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:38 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote:We just rented bikes on the San Francisco waterfront this morning to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, then ferried back. We left at 9am and got back at 1, but over 2 hours of that was the ferry, waiting for it and the ride back. It was bitter cold and windy but sunny. It was a gift to my 14 year old...there is no one else on Earth I'd do this with (neither my wife nor my older son bicycle). I ESPECIALLY hate riding in cold, windy weather. But he LOVED it, though it wore us out! I'm going to be 64 this summer...I'm gettin' too old for this shit! But the look on his face when we made it to the ferry...Priceless!
Riding with my dad is still an all time favorite memory. Good on you.
That brought back a funny memory. My old Peugeot (seen in this thread) was once new. I remember taking the car over to Mount Kisco to a bike shop there an buying it with some of my summer earnings. I got it home and pulled it out of the trunk....and my dad grabbed to ride it first, before I even did! :angry:

I said "Hey! I'm getting the first ride on my new bike!" and grabbed it back! Then he tried to ride it, never having been on a 10 Speed. Couldn't get his feet in the toe clips and I have NO idea how he didn't crash my new bike--a 57 year old man in a suit and tie! :laugh: That is one great memory I have!

Hasaf
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Hasaf »

I made some changes and this is now what I am using for commuting to work:

It is just a cheap Bike Direct. It was the cheapest that I was able to find with hydraulic brakes. It has a Tongsheng TSDZ2 assist motor. This model has built-in torque sensors. As such, it operates, and feels, just like any other bike, but it allows me to ride against the frequent 30+mph headwinds.

The baskets are normal Wald folders. They are heavy but durable. The motor package comes with a head, and tail, light. If it is actually dark I add an L&M headlamp and a helmet light. I am in the process of working out the details to allow a small cam to be connected to the light circuit.

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

Hasaf wrote:I made some changes and this is now what I am using for commuting to work:

It is just a cheap Bike Direct. It was the cheapest that I was able to find with hydraulic brakes. It has a Tongsheng TSDZ2 assist motor. This model has built-in torque sensors. As such, it operates, and feels, just like any other bike, but it allows me to ride against the frequent 30+mph headwinds.

The baskets are normal Wald folders. They are heavy but durable. The motor package comes with a head, and tail, light. If it is actually dark I add an L&M headlamp and a helmet light. I am in the process of working out the details to allow a small cam to be connected to the light circuit.
Killer