Re: Any Vintage Straight Razor/Honers out there on this foru

leitmotiv wrote:Cool!

I found that for me preshave oil made it sticky. I tried Mickey Lee Soapworks Preshave Butter and that stuff is slick as snot.

ToBS is nice stuff. I’m just reaching the end of my tub of Cederwood.
The Shave Secret oil is not really a pre shave oil. It's sold as a stand alone (+water) replacement for soaps and cremes, and actually works quite well in that regard. Combining it with the (Sandalwood for me) soap/cream seemed to produce a result greater than the sum of the parts.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Re: Any Vintage Straight Razor/Honers out there on this forum?

I just started with straight razor shaving, nothing fancy got a shavette I think it's called has disposable inserts thought it would be a good starting point. I actually prefer it, seems to shave closer probably because I have to slow down. Still using Barbasol shaving cream, feel like it does okay, but looking for soap recommendations. Also I don't keep a beard or mustache, so is oil a requirement? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A simple trick for getting a far better shave from a safety or disposable razor: Whatever direction you're moving the razor, hold the handle off to the side so the razor slices like a guillotine blade at an angle. So say you're heading "south" from your lip to your adam's apple. Hold the handle at South-South-West while you move the razor South. You'll get a smoother, closer shave, and your blade will last longer. Hoffritz used to actually make a double-edged safety razor that twisted the blade so you go the same effect without the handle trick.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

WinterbornArms wrote:I just started with straight razor shaving, nothing fancy got a shavette I think it's called has disposable inserts thought it would be a good starting point. I actually prefer it, seems to shave closer probably because I have to slow down. Still using Barbasol shaving cream, feel like it does okay, but looking for soap recommendations. Also I don't keep a beard or mustache, so is oil a requirement? Any advice would be appreciated.
Congrats on giving it a go. There are a lot of good artisan soap makers out there. Some I like include: Chisled Face, Wet Shaving Products and Mickey Lee Soapworks. For good traditional creams and soaps you have the English and Italians like Geo F. Trumper, Truefitt and Hill, Proraso and Musgo Real. That is just a fraction of what is available. Check out Maggard Razors for a lot of good soap samplers for a variety of different companies. Some others offer samples of their own. Momma Bear Soaps comes to mind.

I find that oil wasn’t really necessary, but everyone is different when it comes to shaving. Add it to your routine to see if it makes a difference. For me some of the oils made the razor stick more. Mickey Lee’s pre shave butter seemed to be one exception. It’s a little like slathering crisco on your face, only it smells better.

YankeeTarheel wrote:A simple trick for getting a far better shave from a safety or disposable razor: Whatever direction you're moving the razor, hold the handle off to the side so the razor slices like a guillotine blade at an angle. So say you're heading "south" from your lip to your adam's apple. Hold the handle at South-South-West while you move the razor South. You'll get a smoother, closer shave, and your blade will last longer. Hoffritz used to actually make a double-edged safety razor that twisted the blade so you go the same effect without the handle trick.
Good advise, more surface area by turning the blade and a better cutting action. You're slicing not scraping.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

MaxwellG wrote:
YankeeTarheel wrote:A simple trick for getting a far better shave from a safety or disposable razor: Whatever direction you're moving the razor, hold the handle off to the side so the razor slices like a guillotine blade at an angle. So say you're heading "south" from your lip to your adam's apple. Hold the handle at South-South-West while you move the razor South. You'll get a smoother, closer shave, and your blade will last longer. Hoffritz used to actually make a double-edged safety razor that twisted the blade so you go the same effect without the handle trick.
Good advise, more surface area by turning the blade and a better cutting action. You're slicing not scraping.
Exactly. It's hard to learn, and takes practice, but it doesn't cost anything and it really, really works.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."