Ham Radio Subforum?

There are several LGC hams. I’ve floated the idea of a subforum for ham radio operators to Inquisitor, who is open to the idea.
It would likely be invite only so people will feel free to share their call signs in a closed, more secure, venue (if they want to).
There seems to be enough of us to merit our own little niche. We could schedule QSOs and nets, or just ragchew.
Who is interested in participating? Worth setting up? What do you think?

Re: Ham Radio Subforum?

Hasaf wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 pm I say yes, however, I currently don't have a HF rig set up.
That’s ok, as long as you have a current license or an expired license that you intend to renew,
I call that good enough to be in The Club. For those without HF we could always use Echolink or IRLP to meet up “on air”.
(And the purists now gasp in horror!) :rolleyes:

Anyone else? I poke you with the dreaded Wouff-Hong.

Deep in the myth and lore of amature radio is the story of The Old Man's Wouff Hong. This was an instrument of punishment for any radio operator who used bad and rude operating habits on air.

It was invented by "The Old Man" (T.O.M), a writer for QST magazine.

As The Old Man heard it, the Wouff Hong was being used on some hapless offender so effectively that he investigated. After further effort, "T.O.M." was able to locate and identify a Wouff Hong. He wrote a number of QST articles about contemporary rotten operating practices and the use of the Wouff Hong to discipline the offenders.

In 1919 The Old Man sent QST a real Wouff Hong. It was presented at a meeting of the ARRL and the board voted to hang it in the office of League Secretary where it remains to this day.

No one knows exactly how it is used.
Don't make me go Wouff Hong on you!

featureless wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:16 pm I'm interested as soon as I get my license. Still working on getting through the manual.... without falling asleep.
We can help. I’m a Volunteer Examiner, and I’m sure there are others here that are too.
Besides studying the book, taking practice exams are the best way to prepare.

http://www.eham.net/exams/

When you pass consecutive practice exams with near perfect scores then you are OVERprepared and more than ready.
The Tech exam is really quite easy. You should be able to study for it in a weekend and pass. I did.

HuckleberryFun wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 pm
featureless wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:16 pm I'm interested as soon as I get my license. Still working on getting through the manual.... without falling asleep.
We can help. I’m a Volunteer Examiner, and I’m sure there are others here that are too.
Besides studying the book, taking practice exams are the best way to prepare.

http://www.eham.net/exams/

When you pass consecutive practice exams with near perfect scores then you are OVERprepared and more than ready.
The Tech exam is really quite easy. You should be able to study for it in a weekend and pass. I did.
Heh, heh. I'll read through the manual and then focus on the parts that are foreign to me. I'd like to actually understand the stuff, but may resort to memorization of some elements. I've yet to read anything on how to actually use a radio! Work's been getting in the way of fun lately.

lurker wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 am
HuckleberryFun wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 am There are several LGC hams.
i'm a ham! klown is a ham!
oh, wait, different kind of ham.
sorry, sorry, backing away.... :sorry:
I do not like green lurkers and spam! :yucky:

I poke lurker with a Rettysnitch to see when the “ham” is done.
B609743B-836D-4A1D-A0B0-75A525D708F1.gif
B609743B-836D-4A1D-A0B0-75A525D708F1.gif (6.72 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
As described in "Hamdom's Traditions: A Bedtime Story for Young Squirts" , by Rufus P. Turner

I am so far junior to you guys that I feel really inferior, but I'd love to get some help and basic information. I have some Baofeng radios that need to be programmed, and a low end ($150) portable scanner that doesn't seem to be living up to expectations. I wish that I had someone to chat with on basic radio comms for activists.

Thanks!

JohnNewell wrote:I am so far junior to you guys that I feel really inferior, but I'd love to get some help and basic information. I have some Baofeng radios that need to be programmed, and a low end ($150) portable scanner that doesn't seem to be living up to expectations. I wish that I had someone to chat with on basic radio comms for activists.

Thanks!
The easiest and best way to program the BaoFeng would be to use the USB cable.

What kind of scanner do you have?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JaxTeller wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:43 am
JohnNewell wrote:I am so far junior to you guys that I feel really inferior, but I'd love to get some help and basic information. I have some Baofeng radios that need to be programmed, and a low end ($150) portable scanner that doesn't seem to be living up to expectations. I wish that I had someone to chat with on basic radio comms for activists.

Thanks!
The easiest and best way to program the BaoFeng would be to use the USB cable.

What kind of scanner do you have?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Scanner is a Uniden Bearcat BC125AT.

I have the cable. I had a guy supporting the radios but he took a job in another state so I am sorta stuck in the middle right now. :shock:

John - this is the Baofeng/Pofung programming holy grail:

http://www.miklor.com/

When I first got my UV-82 I tried Chirp and the cable a couple of times and still couldn't figure out how to get the correct data pushed into the radio. The radio-specific instructions on the miklor site worked for manually programming. The radios have a clunky interface, but can be programmed. Maybe drinking would help, not sure. :lol: