Re: my tractor

A couple weeks ago I helped a friend fix/re-grade their driveway after we'd had a ridiculous amount of rain and erosion. Drove a Kubota Diesel around for a half a day. 4WD with hydrostatic transmission.

Forget getting a dream car, I want a ranch and a tractor.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Yup. Some people buy a sports car during their midlife crisis. I bought a tractor.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:28 pm Yup. Some people buy a sports car during their midlife crisis. I bought a tractor.
There's torque and then there's diesel tractor torque. We also ripped out two mesquite tree stumps with a 1/2" chain like they were a couple of thistle weeds.

For real fun, try a skid loader. Every option you can think of, and easy and safe for most anything you want to do. Legally.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

dougb wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:39 pm For real fun, try a skid loader. Every option you can think of, and easy and safe for most anything you want to do. Legally.
Oh, had fun with one of those on my friend's dairy farm back in high school. I spent many a weekend earning extra money doing doughnuts while not scooping up manure piles.

My tractor rigged for winter. Just barely good enough. Being retired I can wait till it just suits me before clearing snow. It would be perfect with a very expensive snow blower attachment and a heated cab. I'm actually running out of room for putting the snow. Spring thaw is going to be a mess.
Attachments
DSC00595.JPG

Making snow removal fun again!
I don't get enough of the white stuff for that kind of fun. But I can make mountains of firewood.
firewood tractor 2.JPG
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

"Je t'aime mon tracteur!"

(Actually, I haven't had one in years, and it was a simple Craftsman law tractor I could mount a plow on and pull a cart or leaf rake with.)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

beaurrr wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:42 pm Making snow removal fun again!
I don't get enough of the white stuff for that kind of fun. But I can make mountains of firewood.firewood tractor 2.JPG
Cool lets hear about your tractor. I bet you'll love my post in about a month. I have a great project coming up when the weather moderates. A brush fork attachment.

Mine is a Branson 47 hp that I bought about a year ago. So far, I have an auger and pallet forks. Pallet forks are the shiznit. I see a chipper and a box blade in my future. The latter is important with a mile of driveway to maintain. With two chainsaws and log splitter, I won't be worrying about firewood any time soon. Last spring and summer I split several cords of Garry Oak and Madrone.
Now that I'm no longer scrounging for lead at the scrapyards, I need a new hobby/obsession. It has a name: Firewood.
Is a brush fork something that clamps on to the bucket?
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

beaurrr wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:53 pm Mine is a Branson 47 hp that I bought about a year ago. So far, I have an auger and pallet forks. Pallet forks are the shiznit. I see a chipper and a box blade in my future. The latter is important with a mile of driveway to maintain. With two chainsaws and log splitter, I won't be worrying about firewood any time soon. Last spring and summer I split several cords of Garry Oak and Madrone.
Now that I'm no longer scrounging for lead at the scrapyards, I need a new hobby/obsession. It has a name: Firewood.
47 hp, wow I have serious hp envy. My little guy has just 25. My brush fork project right now is a manure bucket that I bought for cheap. It has about 6 or 7 (Ican't remember) solid tines that are about 2 ft long and an abbreviated bucket that I plan on cutting back to make it even lighter. I plan on welding on fittings to make it quick attach compatable with my fel for picking up large amounts of tops and other brush from taking down trees. I couldn't live where I live without my tractor. I would love to have a set of pallet forks but I need to find the forks first so I can make my own. Owning a welder is a curse sometimes.

eelj wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:34 pm
beaurrr wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:53 pm Mine is a Branson 47 hp that I bought about a year ago. So far, I have an auger and pallet forks. Pallet forks are the shiznit. I see a chipper and a box blade in my future. The latter is important with a mile of driveway to maintain. With two chainsaws and log splitter, I won't be worrying about firewood any time soon. Last spring and summer I split several cords of Garry Oak and Madrone.
47 hp, wow I have serious hp envy. My little guy has just 25. My brush fork project right now is a manure bucket that I bought for cheap. It has about 6 or 7 (Ican't remember) solid tines that are about 2 ft long and an abbreviated bucket that I plan on cutting back to make it even lighter. I plan on welding on fittings to make it quick attach compatable with my fel for picking up large amounts of tops and other brush from taking down trees. I couldn't live where I live without my tractor. I would love to have a set of pallet forks but I need to find the forks first so I can make my own.
Not knowledgable here: are there Ditch-Witch and stump-grinder attachments available as well as a chipper?
Owning a welder is a curse sometimes.
I have 2 cheapo H-F welders. They weld ugly but I'm convinced that's mostly a problem between the wand and the rubber-soled shoes :rolleyes: . One is their simple 110v wire-feed, and the other is the little toaster-sized inverter welder, which NEVER goes on sale (if they still have it). I got the wire feed on a true bottom-feeder sale when it hit $84, and the "toaster" as an open box for less than $100. The couple of projects I've done with them have turned out well, but I'm NOWHERE near convinced I could do any heavy welding that would be safe. :hmmm:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

eelj wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:34 pm
47 hp, wow I have serious hp envy. My little guy has just 25. My brush fork project right now is a manure bucket that I bought for cheap. It has about 6 or 7 (Ican't remember) solid tines that are about 2 ft long and an abbreviated bucket that I plan on cutting back to make it even lighter. I plan on welding on fittings to make it quick attach compatable with my fel for picking up large amounts of tops and other brush from taking down trees. I couldn't live where I live without my tractor. I would love to have a set of pallet forks but I need to find the forks first so I can make my own. Owning a welder is a curse sometimes.
Land and tractors are made for each other. I like your idea for the brush fork.

Pallet forks, if US-made, are a thousand bucks or more. I bought the Chinese $269 (delivered) model from Titan. Tines are not forged steel but they have withstood real abuse without damage. Cheap to replace if I bend one, too.
What do you do with all your brush? I have huge piles of slash lying around. I hate sitting around tending fires in the rain, hence the chipper idea. Around here, fire season is a Big Deal (not far from Redding, CA). So, no gas powered equipment or fires between about June and late October or early November.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

I set my brush piles out in the middle of a 10 acre field and when the conditions allow me a burning permit I burn it. I would love to have a hydraulic grapple, but I'm now on a fixed income.

There's so many cool attachments for tractors it would be so easy to triple the investment and still want more.

I hear you on the grapple. Plus, they need a third function auxiliary, so there's more money.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

Ok beaurrr this is my brush fork. It started out as a manure bucket but I welded on a quick attach mount and cut the sides down with the torch to lighten it plus give it a bigger payload for logs and brush or my garbage dumpster.
Attachments
DSC00627.JPG
DSC00628.JPG

eelj wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:20 pm Ok beaurrr this is my brush fork. It started out as a manure bucket but I welded on a quick attach mount and cut the sides down with the torch to lighten it plus give it a bigger payload for logs and brush or my garbage dumpster.
Love that brush fork. Wanna make one for me (and ship it to Oregon?) :P

One thing I'm not loving about my tractor is the size. It's about one size too big to get around in the woods. I think yours is about perfect in that way.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

Yep a tractor is the spice of life, even my little 8N.

However, a big truck with a 2K lb liftgate really makes life even easier.

'93 F700, 6.6L Turbodiesel.

Got it in trade for work on a broadcast transmitter.

SR
Ford2.JPG
Ford1.JPG
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

Today is the first day of winter, we have close to 40"s of snow for the season so far. Thats about half of the average for a normal winter. Last week I bought and installed rear tire chains for my tractor,

what a difference they make. Yesterday I managed to get caught up with the snow removal and today I will fine tune it so I will have room to stack it for the rest of the season. Next year it will be different, I'm going to scrape together the money for a front snow blower, no more wind rows or big piles of snow. It's what I should have done in the first place but live and learn. By the way, nice truck SubRosa.

I’m just gonna but in and say I’m finally in the market. We closed on our 20 acres last week. I think before a tractor I want an electric mule to pull a brush mower with.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:12 am I’m just gonna but in and say I’m finally in the market. We closed on our 20 acres last week. I think before a tractor I want an electric mule to pull a brush mower with.
I have a King Kutter 48" rotary mower that runs off of my PTO from my 3 point hitch. I use it to keep about 15 acres of field cleared. Basically what ever I can drive over with the tractor it will chew into toothpicks. Good luck with your new property, I hope it turns into a very satisfying experience for you.

Mason wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:12 am I’m just gonna but in and say I’m finally in the market. We closed on our 20 acres last week. I think before a tractor I want an electric mule to pull a brush mower with.
With twenty acres I would recommend the tractor first, there's no end to the number of tasks made easier by a tractor, including pulling a brush mower. I don't think mules are very well suited to be off pavement. My first tractor was a thirty year old 8n ford years ago in Michigan and it served me well; but for the last twelve years I've had a grey market Yanmar F20D and its a great small tractor. Its biggest draw back being that the seating area is designed for people of smaller stature. I've got short legs for my size and my legs often bind against the underside of the steering wheel if I wear boots with thicker soles when using it.

I just realized that the atv farm vehicles are called mules also, I was thinking of the industrial ones that have been around for decades.
That said I'd still recommend a tractor first; unless you could put together a good deal on both.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"