Offroad SUV mods (AKA inner texan showing again)

I have a subaru forester. It's a nice little SUV, and the gas mileage isn't bad for its size, but I keep finding myself looking at trucks and jeeps and wishing i could go and customize my little fozzy like one of those. Granted I would probably void my warranty and I don't even know if there's the part support out there for it, but for some reason i just want to have a monster of a vehicle, just not one with a ferocious appetite.

I don't know what is with me and wanting to spend money on overly masculine things right now, but somewhere between trying to be practical and trying to be prepared for anything, I just figured out that I really like having random stuff i don't use just because it's got that look of functionality and "I don't give a shit what you think, I'm getting it done."

So, anyone have experience with aftermarket car parts and shops especially in the offroading department?

Re: Offroad SUV mods (AKA inner texan showing again)

Amazon, eBay, and lots of independents on the net. Way too easy to spend money on unneeded aftermarket parts that look neat but do nothing. I try to buy something only every few months.
And just to help,U tube shows how to install most of them.

My wife told me to get my F150 crewcab 4wd 5.4ltr gas guzzler because the grandkids could ride in it. I did not argue.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Mason wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:07 pm Buy a Suzuki Samurai. A Forrester will never be an off road vehicle. Chassis verses frame.

Shit, get a Jeep, but I'd never associate with that crowd. Way too much TEA Party conspiracy bullshit.
Wow, that brush is so broad you could paint the whole side of your house with just 1 sweep...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Sorry, That was a quick post from my phone. Crossovers like the Forrester aren't suited to being lifted without a lot of work due to lots of things.

Jeeps to me are this weird pseudo status symbol thing, which I notice are generally covered with a lot of right wing propaganda stickers an TEA party plates. They tend to be driven by folks with absolutely no knowledge of off road driving techniques so to me they just seem kinda dumb and REALLY over priced. If you want to build an off road vehicle maybe do a bit of research on off roading, rather than just buying some stuff that looks cool?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Take a look at enthusiast forums such as the one at these links: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... 602?page=1
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... pics/35179

Primitive Racing rally/off-road parts: http://get-primitive.com/202-products

Subimods: https://subimods.com/forester-xt.html#page=0&top=1&

Not a Forester, but still pretty interesting: http://www.theadventureportal.com/2015- ... onversion/

I've had a Jeep before, and they're a lot of fun. They make for lousy daily drivers, though: Noisy, bad gas mileage, leaky, and unreliable. Great for off roading, but the utility stops there. (Sorry FlyGuy. ;) Granted, mine was a CJ-7 and I'm fairly certain things have improved since then) I have a 4x4 truck with snow rated tires, and my wife has a Subaru Forester. I always looked down on it until it snowed- that thing drove circles around my truck. They may not be kings of clearance, but they rule in the snow.

I had Toyota 4x4 trucks for years, and those get my vote. They're decent on gas, have a massive selection of customizing options available, and they're reliable. They are also great for off-road adventures in all but the most difficult rubiconesque trails.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

FlyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 am
Mason wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:07 pm Buy a Suzuki Samurai. A Forrester will never be an off road vehicle. Chassis verses frame.

Shit, get a Jeep, but I'd never associate with that crowd. Way too much TEA Party conspiracy bullshit.
I am a Jeep Guy. Maybe just for yuks, we start a "Liberal Jeep Club"?!?!?!?
i had a jeep truck and then a jeep station wagon, both with the STRAIGHT 6 engine and the 5 speed MANual TRANNY ;)
lady lurker couldn't keep them separate in her mind so i explained that the manly truck was the coMANche, while the family station wagon was the cHERokee. i made all that up, but who knows what was in their minds at the naming party?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?