The Ham Radio Sub-Section Should Be:

As it is - a restricted sub open to any hams on the board whether they're paid members of the LGC or not
Total votes: 2 (18%)
Change it to being open to all LGC members in hopes of enticing some to become hams
Total votes: 7 (64%)
Change it to being open to the general board just like the rest of the 'Interests' sections
Total votes: 1 (9%)
Other - please describe
Total votes: 1 (9%)
Total votes: 11

Hams and 'Civilians' - Open or Closed Ham Subforum?

Folks,

We recently had a permissions glitch that opened a closed ham radio subforum to all LGC members. It has been reset, but Inquisitor made an interesting point, I think, when he asked: "What was wrong with that? Why isn’t that a better way to admit new people to this forum?"

So - what do we think? Should we leave it as is and make sure it stays limited access, or should we change it? If we change it, should it be open to the greater membership or all forum participants? Or does anyone care one way or another?

Thanks,
Andy, KG5...

Re: Hams and 'Civilians' - Open or Closed Ham Subforum?

I appreciate your opinion, Mason. I think it's important to note, however, that members voting for their preference doesn't impact the staff in any way. Also worth noting is that this thread exists in this place because I was contacted by a moderator that suggested this might be a better location (the second such mod/admin suggestion). As it's not my call, I think it's reasonable to see what the membership wants.

DavidMS wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:30 am Split the forum. Make one portion public (ham licensure) and one private or read only for people with out a FCC ticket (ham discussions).
That's more or less where we are now. One challenge is that because we don't yet have a structure, the public posts are scattered about. There are a number of threads in "Emergency Management" and some in "interests" (most of which predate the existence of the currently closed sub). If nothing else, pulling them all together might be useful.

Thanks.

Mason wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:27 am So talk about ham radio on a damn ham forum.
Is this a widely held belief among the mods, Mason? If so (or if not), what are the thoughts about the other threads in the "interests" section? I mean, aren't there already plenty of bicycle, shaving, running, or vaping forums for folks to participate in? If this is about easing the load on the volunteers that keep this place running smoothly, maybe paring it down to just guns would be an improvement. Then 'you' wouldn't need to manage "i don't want to play', or keep the politics threads clean, either. Whatcha think?

AndyH wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 pm
Mason wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:27 am So talk about ham radio on a damn ham forum.
Is this a widely held belief among the mods, Mason? If so (or if not), what are the thoughts about the other threads in the "interests" section? I mean, aren't there already plenty of bicycle, shaving, running, or vaping forums for folks to participate in? If this is about easing the load on the volunteers that keep this place running smoothly, maybe paring it down to just guns would be an improvement. Then 'you' wouldn't need to manage "i don't want to play', or keep the politics threads clean, either. Whatcha think?
See, the thing is, Andy, that the other interest forums require no permissions. They don't require anything. They're just there.

Your pedantry and petulant tone over this issue are the cause of my irritation with you and this subject. If your'e worried about people figuring out who you are, for whatever reason, don't give out your ham info on a public forum.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 am
AndyH wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 pm
See, the thing is, Andy, that the other interest forums require no permissions. They don't require anything. They're just there.
The permissions haven't been a problem in the past. I guess that's why I'm asking questions - something seems to have changed and it wasn't obvious what. I'm relieved to hear that the scope of the forum isn't being narrowed. IF (and that's an IF that's well outside my control) a sub is created in interests, it would be no different than the others.
Mason wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 am Your pedantry and petulant tone over this issue are the cause of my irritation with you and this subject. If your'e worried about people figuring out who you are, for whatever reason, don't give out your ham info on a public forum.
I'm sorry you think that anything I've asked is about either pedantry or petulance. If you're interested, I'll be happy to relate the process to this point so that there's no misunderstanding - especially since more than half of it occurred in PMs and not in forum posts. I'm not worried about anyone finding out who I am - but other members here did express such concerns. That's why quiz closed the section to begin with, as Huck has already noted. I do agree that one way to keep one's anonymity on-line (as much as that can be kept) is to restrict the information published. The problem with that argument, at least with regards to the now solved challenge, is that the change wasn't in the hands of the membership. It happened, it's fixed, it's done.

Please note, however, that this poll is NOT ABOUT that previous and solved issue. It's also not about anything I personally want - I'm fine with the structure as it currently is. Frankly, this is a 'lose-lose' for me. But I believe strongly that the stakeholders should be allowed to weigh-in. This began with a question from inquisitor about whether a more open section can be used for recruiting. I didn't act on it until I received an unsolicited message from another volunteer expressing a similar thought. Hence the poll. So...let's not make this about something it's not.

i think of this forum, not as a democracy, not even a republic, but as a benevolent dictatorship. so polls, while interesting, are meaningless. i'm not a ham. i don't have a dog in this fight, but i find it distressing when people i like and respect, even consider friends, get into these sorts of disputes. so with all due respect i'm going to send all of y'all off to your rooms to think about what you did. don't make me get all grumpy on y'all, k? thanks, i'm done now. :roll:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I agree completely, CD. I was listening to a net two nights ago and one of the hams noted that they'd lost six members so far this year, and if that kept up the net would be out of members in two years. We need more folks in the amateur service - especially as we move past the climate tipping point. Gonna need plenty of people able to set up long-haul comms when Mother Nature whacks all the cell towers.