Re: “A loaded shotgun in my pickup truck at school”: myth or fact?

That is one heck-u-va story, Sig! Interesting how different the world was then vs now. We often forget how consensual our world is being stuck in our own frame of reference.
I can imagine the world back then, when a son of a man who fought in and survived war could be seen as a hero and that his weapon could be used as a teaching tool for many purposes. Weapons do generate gravity and should be respected. That respect can and should be passed on, not merely celebrated in absurd fiction nor denigrated and become scapegoat for the darkness within each us we can’t accept.
Today all this is lost in the swirl of people’s uptight ideas. There is no learning when folks don’t listen.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

There were stories about kids with guns in lockers at my high school, but they never came up in the periodic locker checks. On the other hand, I probably have permanent hearing damage from the kid who fired the drama teacher's starter pistol in the auditorium. There was a teacher who used Entertech M16 and AK-47 squirt guns as hall passes, back before orange barrel tips were mandated for toy guns because police kept shooting kids.

We did cover archery, fencing, and hand-to-hand self defense in PE. Good times.

Portland, Oregon. Gun racks with long guns in them were common throughout the 60's into the late 70's. And, nobody cared. Can't speak to the 50's, I wasn't really paying attention. I don't recall when it was that they disappeared...the long guns....still see the occasional rack but it's usually empty or has a fishing rod in it.
CDFingers wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:30 pm Fall 1967, Miss Martier's World History class. We're studying WWI. "I've got a WWI rifle." "Bring it." Next day I brought my Austrian Mannlicher 8x50r carbine to her first period class, and she kept it for her other classes--mine was third period. Cute thing was, I was not old enough yet to drive, so I slung it over my shoulder and rode my bike to school, and back. Never got stopped. Why? Did not point gun at thing I did not want to destroy. Worked out.

CDFingers
I had a similar experience with a WW2 Arisaka while in high school, 1971-72. A rifle was needed for a play and I spoke up. Walked into the school with it the next morning. Nobody gave me a second glance.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

I graduated in 1974 and there we kids with cars in the parking lot with guns in them. Smae with my Wife who's schooling was rural...kids actually brought firearms for show and tell.

That era is gone, gone, gone.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I spent a couple of my grade school years in rural MT. Mid-70-'s. School was K-12. Maybe 300 kids total. Maybe.
I did see trucks in the HS side with gun racks with M94s or .22s. Anti-'vermin' tools.
Usually just the family farm truck. Probably brought a brother or sister along too.
Locked? Probably not. Tiny town (back then).
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

Grew up on the coast of Washington and graduated in 2006. We had an open campus so kids could park on residential streets next to school. There were a few people that kept their guns in their trucks for either hunting on the way to school or after school. There were a few times when there would be a dead deer in the back of someone’s truck or the football team would he hurting for players because of the opening of elk season.

Pantechnicon wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 pm

1. When were you in high school approximately, e.g. - early 60s? Late 80s?
2. In what part of the country did you attend high school?
3. Did you hunt before or after school, and what type of game specifically were you hunting?
4. If you left your pickup or guns unlocked, did you feel like this was in contravention to what you were taught about general firearms safety?
1. Mid Eighties
2. Northern California (North of Redding)
3. I didn't hunt, I have never been much of a hunter. However, I frequently went shooting after school with friends.
4. Locked? no one locked guns. I drove a VW Thing, there was no way to lock one of those. My M1 Carbine was normally under a blanked in the rear shelf and my Black Powder revolver was in the glove box, yes, loaded. My mother was concerned about he legality so she asked the sheriff's department. They told her that a parent needed to write a note that they knew about and allowed the guns. So she wrote the note and I put it in a plastic sleeve and kept it in the glove box.

My daughter, same school, mid/late 2000's
1. mid/late 2000's
2. Northern California (North of Redding)
3. She didn't hunt, but she did go shooting with friends after school, she was active in trail running, The final oddity, it was not uncommon for her to ride her horse to school. It was just a few miles and there was a old logging road that came out near the school and linked to some trails behind our house.
4. One day she returned to her locker with a form type note in her locker, on her pixtol (Her Pistol! It was MY Makarov!) saying that she was not to leave unsecured handguns in th locker. The not said that the next time it happened, the pistol would be taken to the police station and a parent would have to pick it up.
She, and a few other friends who got the note, asked the principal what to do, as the school would no longer secure student firearms in the office (a service they provided when I was a student, one of my friends had a nice shot gun so he turned it in to the office in the morning and picked it up after school, he did hunt upland birds).
The prinicipas first thing was "leave t in your car" unfortunately, these were all bus kids. Ultimatly, they were told that they were not to leave their back pack unsecured for any reason.
There was a scheduled inspection by some people from the state one day, ths principal made it very clear that there were to be no guns at school that day. The Deputity DA, who was in the SCA and sponsored the youth Civil War unit made it clear that if one of the Civil War kids was arrested, by the state people, that he would represent them.

So, a very pro-gun owners rights area.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40