rolling stone re: russian trolls

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

JohnNewell
Grizzled Veteran

Re: roling stone re: russian trolls

Post by JohnNewell »

highdesert wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:25 am
It's understandable why they chose Telegram, secrecy like Tor browsers and Russian developed.
https://www.androidauthority.com/what-i ... er-979357/

We have been using Telegram privately for several years. Russia fined them for not being willing to write a back door to allow the Russians to get in secretly. I have been told that the FBI agents are usually forbidden from using Telegram. Somewhere over in the China/Hong Kong situation I heard someone (Chinese media perhaps?) complaining.

Supposedly ISIS was using Telegram to order munitions and parts so I'd say it's pretty secure but this advent of public channels rather than private groups is a new one to me.

BTW, it's pretty widely known that the FBI hired the designer of the Tor browser to write a back door into that product. :smart:

Some of the bad groups have moved to VK.com, which is a Russian site. I've kinda thought for awhile that no one monitors that one in English because there are plenty of racial and ethnic slurs there.

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

JohnNewell wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:42 am
highdesert wrote:
It's understandable why they chose Telegram, secrecy like Tor browsers and Russian developed.

We have been using Telegram privately for several years. Russia fined them for not being willing to write a back door to allow the Russians to get in secretly. I have been told that the FBI agents are usually forbidden from using Telegram. Somewhere over in the China/Hong Kong situation I heard someone (Chinese media perhaps?) complaining.

Supposedly ISIS was using Telegram to order munitions and parts so I'd say it's pretty secure but this advent of public channels rather than private groups is a new one to me.

BTW, it's pretty widely known that the FBI hired the designer of the Tor browser to write a back door into that product. :smart:

Some of the bad groups have moved to VK.com, which is a Russian site. I've kinda thought for awhile that no one monitors that one in English because there are plenty of racial and ethnic slurs there.
lol Nuthin is totally secure. Does anyone really trust what a Russian says is secure? Or whether or not it can't be hacked? If someone writes code, someone can break it. I've used TOR and well, if you understand how it functions you prolly wouldn't.
Buy the ticket; take the ride

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

tonguengroover wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:13 pm
JohnNewell wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:42 am
highdesert wrote:

lol Nuthin is totally secure. Does anyone really trust what a Russian says is secure? Or whether or not it can't be hacked? If someone writes code, someone can break it. I've used TOR and well, if you understand how it functions you prolly wouldn't.
So, you're a coder, TG?
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Re: rolling stone re: russian trolls

Post by tonguengroover »

Coder? uh not
Buy the ticket; take the ride

JohnNewell
Grizzled Veteran

Post by JohnNewell »

There was supposed to be a video on the Dark Web of a person - probably homeless - being murdered in a ritualistic fashion by neo-nazis. One of the people that I work with saw it and it freaked her out for months. "Certain people that don't want to be named" suggested that we use Tor to find it but we never found it again. Really nasty stuff and as the years have progressed we see Atomwaffen displaying the same belief system as the Black Sun cult members that are supposed to be in that video.

Black Sun really is a thing btw. As crazy as it sounds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sun_(symbol)

And you see the Black Sun emblem showing up more and more among right wing demonstrators.
Attachments
BlackSun.svg.png

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

They can worship a black sun symbol... as long as they don't run around murdering and assaulting in the name of that idea. Strange days.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.