take your meds

being 66 and having a less-than perfect body :ohmg: , my dr has prescribed two medications, one for high blood pressure and one for hypothyroidism, which i take religiously in the a.m. the dosages are low, so i wouldn't expect much of an effect.
well, yesterday i got busy and forgot, and it wasn't until after lunch, maybe 6 hours, that i remembered and got caught up. apparently it takes a while for the blood levels to recover, so it was a bit of a roller-coaster for the rest of the day, fatigue, irritable, mania alternating with depression, cold sensitivity, sleep disturbance... i may have been crankier :bananadance: than usual, for which i should apologize, but FU. there, see what i mean?
what a rush, but not in a pleasant way. going forward i advise against skipping meds, even the ones that aren't supposed to do much.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: take your meds

Signs of low thyroid, had a relative who had her gland removed due to cancer. Those were the days before they synthesized thyroxine and it was made from ground cattle glands and the dosage could vary. The master gland does affect mood and everything you listed.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Oof. In related news:
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 ... who-we-are
They’ve been linked to road rage, pathological gambling, and complicated acts of fraud. Some make us less neurotic, and others may even shape our social relationships. It turns out many ordinary medications don’t just affect our bodies – they affect our brains. Why? And should there be warnings on packets?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:00 am Oof. In related news:
They’ve been linked to road rage, pathological gambling, and complicated acts of fraud. Some make us less neurotic, and others may even shape our social relationships. It turns out many ordinary medications don’t just affect our bodies – they affect our brains. Why? And should there be warnings on packets?
Wow! That's a crazy article, Shinzen. When I was a kid my mother constantly popped Tylenol with codeine (available over the counter in NZ) and was a generally nasty, crazy, violent person. As an adult with a child I think back to my childhood and am shocked at the way she acted toward my brother and me. Lack of empathy indeed.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:31 am
shinzen wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:00 am Oof. In related news:
Wow! That's a crazy article, Shinzen. When I was a kid my mother constantly popped Tylenol with codeine (available over the counter in NZ) and was a generally nasty, crazy, violent person. As an adult with a child I think back to my childhood and am shocked at the way she acted toward my brother and me. Lack of empathy indeed.
My mother's mother was exactly that same way and Tylenol wasn't even invented but codeine was available. I don't know if she took it--I doubt it. My mom could be tough to live with but did her damnedest not to be like HER mother, and her mother's mother before her. I never doubted she loved us, and she sacrificed so much for us, but her mother never once, not once, ever told Mom she loved her.

There are just some people in this world who are just flat-out MEAN!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Isn't it? Fucking terrifying actually that all these meds may indeed be making the world meaner and angrier. Much like the findings about moving to unleaded gas and the reduction in violent crime. Unintended consequences indeed.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

The law of unintended consequences. Drug companies are out to make money and we know they lie on studies. I'm old enough to remember the Thalidomide Tragedy, a new "wonder drug" supposed to help pregnant mothers and it ended up causing a lot of birth defects. It has a new life as a cancer fighting drug.

A number of years back CA changed the drunk driving law from "driving under the influence" to "driving while impaired", illegal and legal drugs can impair driving.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

shinzen wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:59 am Isn't it? Fucking terrifying actually that all these meds may indeed be making the world meaner and angrier. Much like the findings about moving to unleaded gas and the reduction in violent crime. Unintended consequences indeed.
Also along the line of unintended consequences, these medications pass through us and into the wastewater system. Most aren't removed by anything short of reverse osmosis (which is incredibly expensive at that scale, so rarely used) and into whatever water body the treated wastewater is discharged to. Wells downstream then suck up the water and distribute it to us via the kitchen sink. Most of those drug components are not yet tested for in drinking water but we know they are there. Harmful levels have not been established, but I'm certain they exist. The solution to pollution is dilution. Until it isn't. :shock: