Re: Day job/career/gun funder

I've done a variety of things, but I've been in aerospace for the last 12 years. Started on the shipping dock, became a machinist and did that for about 8 years and now I'm currently in Supply Chain. From the shop floor to the cubicle, it's been an interesting journey so far and I kind of like supply chain so far.

Community College prof. Used to be a research scientist but couldn't keep up with the pace after my son was born. Can't be a cuttin' edge scientist and an enlightened dad, or at least I couldn't. I teach Biology and Chemistry and I consider myself lucky to have the kind of job that hasn't been blown up by this stupid virus. Some of my students or their families have lost jobs, and it's very difficult to see them go through this and lose health insurance at the worst imaginable time.

When not being mostly-retired, I draw boats. Mainly sailing boats (as the handle implies), although the powered variety are WAY more fun sometimes.

This week's toy - 21 ft of weekend cruiser. "Pāholo" Hawaiian for "duckling" if Google Translate is to be trusted. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
Paholo-128A_resize.jpg

Long long ago and in a land far far away we used to go out to watch the Chesapeake Log Canoes race. To the best of my knowledge it was the only racing series were you could just tell crew to get off if the wind was behind you on a sprint to the finish line.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

JohnNewell wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 pm The short answer is Correctional Officer, but the more complete answer is that I stepped into this at age 60. When I was younger I was a pretty high flying accountant, then I started a trucking company that specialized in moving boats. Semi-retired at age 40 and motorcycled a lot. Somewhere along the lines I spent 6 years doing network management for a small business in Florida, started 2 publishing companies, worked as a manager in several industries, and taught in the local school system.

I left my job over discrimination issues a few weeks ago. Receiving a sizeable inheritance. I am thinking right now about buying weapons and perhaps going to Law School. And probably doing a lot of pro bono representation of activists.

you're a better man than i, gunga din. i happily put myself out to pasture as soon as i possibly could.
it's hard, i tell ya.
i occasionally have to endure crushing boredom, which is fairly easily fixed by spending money on loud toys. i think i feel a road trip coming up in the next year or so.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:17 pm you're a better man than i, gunga din. i happily put myself out to pasture as soon as i possibly could.
it's hard, i tell ya.
i occasionally have to endure crushing boredom, which is fairly easily fixed by spending money on loud toys. i think i feel a road trip coming up in the next year or so.
I figure that in a year or so the roads will be a lot less hectic. A road trip might be fun.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:19 pm
lurker wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:17 pm you're a better man than i, gunga din. i happily put myself out to pasture as soon as i possibly could.
it's hard, i tell ya.
I figure that in a year or so the roads will be a lot less hectic. A road trip might be fun.
In a year there will be a lot less of us to take a road trip.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

lurker wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:02 pm i'm going to assume i'll still be here until there's reason to believe otherwise. the rest of you guys, i wish you well but you're on your own.
I believe I won’t know when I cease to exist. I do hope y’all make it though.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

if the covid gets me i expect i'll have the better part of a week to consider the error of my ways and repent my many sins, maybe make arrangements. i for no particular reason except a week-long dry cough in january suspect i've already had it and will survive, although that's no guarantee.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Not just retired but very tired. Worked as lab bench tech, electronic field service tech, and construction for 30 years. Also 4 years in the Air Force during the Vietnam war as ordnance tech. Last full time job was 2002 at Lucent on east coast. Drove an 18 wheeler for a year in 2004-2005. Been tired/retired since 2007.

Retired.
Life long fine art photographer/cinematographer, classically trained musician (session player and consummate accompanist; strings and brass), and in another life time, before I grew up... industrial chemist, college (physics) instructor.

Now recently retired spouse and I are renovating our house so we can sell and get the fuck out of hipsterville. It's gonna be either Walla Walla or Tokyo.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

JohnNewell wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:52 pm
JohnNewell wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 pm The short answer is Correctional Officer, but the more complete answer is that I stepped into this at age 60. When I was younger I was a pretty high flying accountant, then I started a trucking company that specialized in moving boats. Semi-retired at age 40 and motorcycled a lot. Somewhere along the lines I spent 6 years doing network management for a small business in Florida, started 2 publishing companies, worked as a manager in several industries, and taught in the local school system.

I left my job over discrimination issues a few weeks ago. Receiving a sizeable inheritance. I am thinking right now about buying weapons and perhaps going to Law School. And probably doing a lot of pro bono representation of activists.
I'll donate to that, for real.

JohnNewell wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:59 am We have very little Covid here in Uvalde, TX. And a great series of gun ranges. Hint, hint.
Four hour drive from Houston. Four hour drive, three hours range and four hours back, that’s under 12 hours, perhaps. Still until this Covid business works to a better direction no road trips for me.