Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Day job/career/gun funder

Post by kronkmusic »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:36 am
lurker wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:31 pm
ok, i see where this is going. would a part-time conductor be a semi-conductor?
Then there was the murderous trainman who couldn't be electrocuted because...he was a bad conductor....
Alright dads, that's enough out of you tonight :no: :lol:

julie13
Helpful Contributor

Post by julie13 »

Geologist. Spent about a decade in oil, got laid off 3 times in 2 years, and after a couple years of un- and under-employment (pro-tip: being an adjunct professor is not the path to riches, much less being able to pay the damned mortgage) managed to break into environmental consulting. As of now we're still working, and I have field work this week, but we'll see what happens after that.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

Retired now but - non-profit, hospitality industry and civil service for over 44 years working. Life is full of a lot of careers/experiences, just don't forget to plan for retirement.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

Environmental planning consultant. CEQA and NEPA work for public works projects and schools, primarily.

Daydream of being a goat farmer (for cheese) or restoring old houses.

Rickoshay
Been around awhile

Post by Rickoshay »

Started in nuclear power (Navy). 20 years as an engineer working near airlines. After my job was no longer available I became a field service tech for bar codes scanners. Went from supervising 15 young engineers to a laptop jockey. Making twice the money when I can travel.
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

It is unsustainable for people to maintain a constant state of panic for four years, unless they are willing to panic as a hobby.- Josh Barro

Mandaliberal
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Mandaliberal »

Well...I’m technically a Radiologic Technologist which is a fancy way of saying x-ray tech. I lost my job in early November over BS but thought I’d find work pretty quickly...however, I’m currently delivering pizzas for Papa Johns. So glad I went back to school! (I am actually)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Mandaliberal wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:24 am
Well...I’m technically a Radiologic Technologist which is a fancy way of saying x-ray tech. I lost my job in early November over BS but thought I’d find work pretty quickly...however, I’m currently delivering pizzas for Papa Johns. So glad I went back to school! (I am actually)

Rad Techs should do well in the downturn. Stay safe and keep job searching!
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

Mandaliberal
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Mandaliberal »

K9s wrote:
Mandaliberal wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:24 am

Rad Techs should do well in the downturn. Stay safe and keep job searching!
I hope so...I worked hard and my family sacrificed a lot for me to go back to school. I appreciate your support, and you be safe as well!

Hasaf
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Hasaf »

Middle School teacher. I teach Computer Apps and Robotics. Like many here, my career path took a very circuitous route.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

that may be because we're open to things.

UncleBub
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by UncleBub »

Citrix sys admin as my 8-5 and on the side manage all things IT for my doctor's practice, including his website.

Myat
Helpful Contributor

Post by Myat »

Mobile X-ray technologist, state of Indiana and the ARRT see me fit to splash ionizing radiation around in hopes of producing diagnostic images of people’s insides. Wasn’t my first choice of careers. Both my folks were in medical positions too. After growing up and listening to their gripes and moans about hospital politics and intradepartmental drama, I thought medical would be my last choice. Ooops.

First career was in academia. Got myself a degree in anthropology. Spent 7 years working for a cultural resource management firm associated with Indiana university. That was the life. Honest hard work, being a pit monkey, shoveling dirt, making big holes and being the first to touch trash from humans long gone. The science was spectacular, the art was creative, the purpose was noble. We woke at dawn, worked the site till 6, cooked mass amounts of food, drank till midnight and did it again the next day... for months at a time. Glory days.

Hoping some day I might be able to get certified as a CT tech and do some X-ray archaeology. 3D reconstructions of textiles, mummies and other artifacts that would otherwise need to be destroyed in the process. We’ll see, I’m paying my student loans off at break neck speed so I can get back to living. Got my life on hold at the moment, not really interested in racking up more loan debt, but I sure do miss academia.
To learn, you must be willing to challenge what you currently hold to be true. :crazy:

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

sometimes we can steer it a little but life takes us where it will.

Myat
Helpful Contributor

Post by Myat »

lurker wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:46 pm
sometimes we can steer it a little but life takes us where it will.
Well said, sir!
To learn, you must be willing to challenge what you currently hold to be true. :crazy:

Mason

Post by Mason »

Aerospace Research Technician. Work is mainly for NASA, Air Force and DARPA. Like Marlene, a little bit machinist, designer, field engineer and test engineer. Previously have been an Army Medic, Bartender, Auto Mechanic, Car Salesman ( worst job ever), Long Haul Trucker, Central Office Installer, Cellular Field Engineer and House Flipper.
"You can not consume happiness."
-Melissa G.

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sig230 »

Mason wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:08 am
Aerospace Research Technician. Work is mainly for NASA, Air Force and DARPA. Like Marlene, a little bit machinist, designer, field engineer and test engineer. Previously have been an Army Medic, Bartender, Auto Mechanic, Car Salesman ( worst job ever), Long Haul Trucker, Central Office Installer, Cellular Field Engineer and House Flipper.
I absolutely loved my turn as a car salesman but it was for a small single family owned dealership and all we had to sell were Alfas, Renaults, Lotus, SAAB, Volvo and a few Maserati.
To be vintage it must be older than me!

From Deep South Texas

wooglin
Been around awhile

Post by wooglin »

Myat wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:33 pm

First career was in academia. Got myself a degree in anthropology. Spent 7 years working for a cultural resource management firm associated with Indiana university. That was the life. Honest hard work, being a pit monkey, shoveling dirt, making big holes and being the first to touch trash from humans long gone. The science was spectacular, the art was creative, the purpose was noble. We woke at dawn, worked the site till 6, cooked mass amounts of food, drank till midnight and did it again the next day... for months at a time. Glory days.
My job, though I’m in the private sector now. I’m sure we have mutual acquaintances.

Not as much fun as it used to be either. Both because it is much more a business than it used to be and because I’m too senior to play in the dirt. Still beats working for a living though.

Mason

Post by Mason »

Sig, I hated that how much money I made depended on how badly I screwed my customers. I sold Pontiac, GMC, Mitsubishi and of course, the real money maker, used. I never felt good about a big commission sale. Also, you’re never off work. Every single person you meet is a potential customer.
"You can not consume happiness."
-Melissa G.

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sig230 »

Mason wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:02 am
Sig, I hated that how much money I made depended on how badly I screwed my customers. I sold Pontiac, GMC, Mitsubishi and of course, the real money maker, used. I never felt good about a big commission sale. Also, you’re never off work. Every single person you meet is a potential customer.
Well we were also a little different there since I was on a salary rather than commissions. And the owner actually supported our efforts to actually find what was good for both the firm and the customer. But I imagine we could swap so down right interesting used car tales.
To be vintage it must be older than me!

From Deep South Texas

58Hawken
Been around awhile

Post by 58Hawken »

IT project manager, currently doing enterprise system integration for health care.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

Lotta computery geeks on this board. I thought this was a gun forum fer us rednecks!
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

K9s wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:58 pm
Lotta computery geeks on this board. I thought this was a gun forum fer us rednecks!
lots of us have a technical bent, and computers, trucks and guns all scratch that itch. just because we're literate doesn't mean we can't aspire to be hillbilly redneck yokels on the side.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

lurker wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:54 pm
K9s wrote:
lots of us have a technical bent, and computers, trucks and guns all scratch that itch. just because we're literate doesn't mean we can't aspire to be hillbilly redneck yokels on the side.
I did my time as a redneck...building houses in North Carolina summers, in triple digit heat...and triple digit humidity. Tan lines lasted all winter, and just my luck, NC had some of their harshest winters the years I lived there. Oh! The "fun" of being young and broke!
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:02 pm
lurker wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:54 pm
K9s wrote:
I did my time as a redneck...building houses in North Carolina summers, in triple digit heat...and triple digit humidity. Tan lines lasted all winter, and just my luck, NC had some of their harshest winters the years I lived there. Oh! The "fun" of being young and broke!
I was just kidding around.

leitmotiv
Been around awhile

Post by leitmotiv »

Another IT geek here. Been essentially on the service desk side of things forever.

Last gig provided me the opportunity to build out an IT team and the infrastructure for what was essentially a fintech start up in San Francisco. That was a blast for nearly 2.5 years until last August after they lost an investor and laid of 25 of us. Just last week they let go of another 90 people including the remainder of my team. :shock:

New gig is for a family owned property management/development company and isn't quite as interesting or exciting as the last one. Its as if technology snuck up and surprised them one day. One example of the craziness I'm finding here: I have this one landscape guy in a forgotten realm who's access to the internet is provided by a mifi type hotspot that costs us $75/month. After looking into it I find he's been using it since Feb 2012. All because it was decided to be too costly to run a cable... :blink:

I find a lot of IT people I've worked with have been gun enthusiasts.

ImageImage