Re: Volkswagen Karmann Ghia

I remember test driving a Boxster as a possible replacement for my 320SLK. It was like driving a go-cart. For 30 minutes it was one hell of a lot of fun, but at minute 31 I couldn't WAIT to get out of the damned thing! Because it was like driving a go-cart! Noise, ride, twitchy, but fun, but not an everyday car. Back then EVERYTHING was an add-on--even cup-holders. And it was a rag-top, not a clam shell.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:40 pm I remember test driving a Boxster as a possible replacement for my 320SLK. It was like driving a go-cart. For 30 minutes it was one hell of a lot of fun, but at minute 31 I couldn't WAIT to get out of the damned thing! Because it was like driving a go-cart! Noise, ride, twitchy, but fun, but not an everyday car. Back then EVERYTHING was an add-on--even cup-holders. And it was a rag-top, not a clam shell.
Took a ride in my friend's Z4 and didn't enjoy it. Felt like a bobsled.

58Hawken wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:54 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:40 pm I remember test driving a Boxster as a possible replacement for my 320SLK. It was like driving a go-cart. For 30 minutes it was one hell of a lot of fun, but at minute 31 I couldn't WAIT to get out of the damned thing! Because it was like driving a go-cart! Noise, ride, twitchy, but fun, but not an everyday car. Back then EVERYTHING was an add-on--even cup-holders. And it was a rag-top, not a clam shell.
Took a ride in my friend's Z4 and didn't enjoy it. Felt like a bobsled.
I can see that. The SLK was a MUCH more civilized car! I traded it in on a BMW 335i clamshell with a six-speed. Still have it--a 2007.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Marlene wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:13 pm Unlike the Ghia, the Thing has a fiberglass body to reduce the weight. Also, even more stylish.
Pretty sure they're steel. Type 181s were also never officially imported into the US, so parts for them are harder to find than even other low-volume cars like the KG. I do think they're stylish, though.

58Hawken wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:26 pm

Miatas look like what they are. Midlife crisis on a budget. KGs at least look like an attempt to be classics while having your mid-life crisis on a budget. IMVUIO.
You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but it's wrong.

The first generation Miata is one of the sweetest little cars ever produced. This is with my personal experience driving the likes of MGB, Triumph TR6, Alfa Spider, BMW M Roadster, new gen Camaro SS, and having done a bit of racing that included Formula Ford and FIA 2-liter cars. My step father compared it favorably to his original Lotus Elan (from which it obviously borrows a lot of styling). It shifts better than anything this side of a Hewland Mk 8, and is exceptionally well balanced. The engine is adequately powerful, has a fun top-end rush, and is robust having been originally designed for a turbo car. I haven't driven the newer generations, but I suspect they have gotten a bit heavier and less pure, although probably a bit more capable.

I spent the most contemporary time in the TR6 and the M Roadster (a Z3 with the M3 engine). The TR6 was just not as good in any way, but I did really like it. The BMW was much faster and had much higher limits, but was much more of a blunt instrument, and really didn't give anywhere near the joy of driving that the Miata did. I put a couple thousand miles on a Camaro convertible and it was blunt to the point of dullness. It was awful.

If I had $50k to spend on a sports car just for the joy of driving, I would probably go and find a nice 1st gen Miata and put the other $45k in the bank. No joke.

I think a Karmann Ghia would be most comparable to a TR6 out of my personal experience. Rough, loud, slow for what it is, but never failing to put a smile on your face.

bajajoaquin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:08 pm If I had $50k to spend on a sports car just for the joy of driving, I would probably go and find a nice 1st gen Miata and put the other $45k in the bank. No joke.
Good to know. IMVUIO = in my very uninformed opinion. I'm probably only looking for a $10k weekend toy. $15k if I feel really stupid.

Of all the cars I've owned the one most absolutest funest car has to have been my '71 Mini Cooper 1275 GT. You could drive it like crazy, break 'till it looked like a cat in heat, turn on a thought and still never break any laws. No car I even owned begged to be flailed like that little green box.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

My dad had a Miata for a little while. Actually I think he's had 2 now. The fun+cool factor per dollar is better on that car than anything else you could possibly buy. They're just plain fun as all hell to drive. They're also probably the most impractical cars on the market, you can barely fit a beach towel in the trunk, let alone trying to do something crazy like go grocery shopping. But if it's just for cruising around on a sunny Saturday afternoon, it's pretty hard to beat. Assuming your head clears the liner, like lurker pointed out, but you should never be driving it with the top up anyhow. Think of it like a quieter, more comfortable motorcycle that you're slightly less likely to die in.

Volkswagen Karmann Ghia

The Boxster kicks SLK and Z3 ass. They were not built with comfort as their highest priority. Rather, an incredibly stiff chassis in a convertible no less, and the near-perfect weight distribution and low polar moment of inertia of the mid-engine configuration makes them a superb drivers car. It is like driving on Velcro - you know there’s a limit out there somewhere but your nerve gives out before you find it. It is a lot easier to drive than an early 911 (the new 911s with torque vectoring, mind-numbing power, etc are said to be awesome but I have not driven one. Next life maybe)

The original Boxster was tricky to drive fast because of its peaky torque curve but variable valve timing fixed that in the S and gave it a bag of low-end torque.

The new 718 Boxster and Caymans are nuts.

But, the Beemer 335 is a hella nice car.

Bucolic wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:50 pm The Boxster kicks SLK and Z3 ass. They were not built with comfort as their highest priority. Rather, an incredibly stiff chassis in a convertible no less, and the near-perfect weight distribution and low polar moment of inertia of the mid-engine configuration makes them a superb drivers car. It is like driving on Velcro - you know there’s a limit out there somewhere but your nerve gives out before you find it. It is a lot easier to drive than an early 911 (the new 911s with torque vectoring, mind-numbing power, etc are said to be awesome but I have not driven one. Next life maybe)

The original Boxster was tricky to drive fast because of its peaky torque curve but variable valve timing fixed that in the S and gave it a bag of low-end torque.

The new 718 Boxster and Caymans are nuts.

But, the Beemer 335 is a hella nice car.
NFW! The Boxster is the most impractical car on the planet. Yeah, it's LOADS of fun--for 30 minutes. At Minute 31 you realize that even Dante couldn't imagine just how bad Hell could be! Want to drive 200 miles? You'll be dead in the Boxster, I'll still be rarrin' to go in the SLK!

As for my 2007 BMW 335i? there's a reason I still have it after 12 1/2 years! Every time I think about selling it, I drive it and STILL love it to death! (Yeah it sucks in the snow but...) My wife is leasing a 2018 430i, and she loves it. She is WFH so much she isn't driving it much and we're planning on buying it out since it's totally new. Hers is an automatic (ugh!) but it's AWD so it go in snow! Automatics are great for trucks, SUVs and family sedans. but for sports cars, nah....

Memory cars

A DJ at a radio station I also worked at had a Bugeye with a 389 Pontiac, triple dueces, Muncie, and tubbed rear body for real slicks. I redid the electrics so the new SW gauges and lights worked. Nothing in Yuma could catch it until a Harley trike W/a 289 Ford showed up. It could catch it, but it was always neck-N-neck every Saturday nite.

I flogged a built baja bug for years: 2180cc dual port, lumpy cam, Weber carbs, car gears with bus reductions with big Gates Sand Commands all around, in a wide-eye fiberglass kit. Was a real badass at the dunes, 0-60 in 5 sec on pavement running on 130 avgas, but 62 was top speed with all the gearing. Traded that bright yellow ride back in '80 for a mint '62 Falcon pickup with the 144 engine and 2-speed auto. Zoom!

SR
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

Jeez, that Bugeye musta been a handful!! I’m amazed he could get all that power to the ground! I’d love a Bugeye. I had a 68 Sprite in high school. It was fun but not the best, or safest car. Lucas, Prince of Darkness, was a frequent visitor.

As for long trips in the Boxster, yes, more than about 300 miles gets a bit painful and stop-and-go traffic is a bitch but 30 minutes?!? What a delicate flower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:24 am Jeez, that Bugeye musta been a handful!! I’m amazed he could get all that power to the ground! I’d love a Bugeye. I had a 68 Sprite in high school. It was fun but not the best, or safest car. Lucas, Prince of Darkness, was a frequent visitor.

As for long trips in the Boxster, yes, more than about 300 miles gets a bit painful and stop-and-go traffic is a bitch but 30 minutes?!? What a delicate flower.

What can I say? Buzzing like a beehive, my ears nearly deaf from the oversize go-kart engine right behind my head, and the ruptured disk in my back singing the blues! Guess I am fragile! :lol: :laugh: :beer2:

Somewhere, along the line, my brother, who is a car fanatic, got hold of an Austen-Healy 3000, badly in need of a muffler. He may still have it. He likes English sports cars and his Miata. Don't know how he handles the electrics, crafted by Joseph Lucas, Father of Magical Midnight, aka Prince of Darkness. As for the Miata, my nephew was not happy...they drove up last June/July from NC to NJ in it, and his son, who's about 6'3" or 6'4" spent 8 or 9 hours "doing Yoga" (i.e. "The Miserable Pretzel"--I made that up). My brother was perfectly comfortable--he's about 5'9". Chris was miserable and all he wanted was to get in our pool and have a beer! I was happy to oblige him!

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:29 am As for the Miata, my nephew was not happy...they drove up last June/July from NC to NJ in it, and his son, who's about 6'3" or 6'4" spent 8 or 9 hours "doing Yoga" (i.e. "The Miserable Pretzel"--I made that up). My brother was perfectly comfortable--he's about 5'9". Chris was miserable and all he wanted was to get in our pool and have a beer! I was happy to oblige him!
Once road from south of Baltimore to Piscataway in the middle back seat of a '64 'stang. Only about 200 miles but felt longer than any of my cross country runs.
jim

sig230 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:29 am As for the Miata, my nephew was not happy...they drove up last June/July from NC to NJ in it, and his son, who's about 6'3" or 6'4" spent 8 or 9 hours "doing Yoga" (i.e. "The Miserable Pretzel"--I made that up). My brother was perfectly comfortable--he's about 5'9". Chris was miserable and all he wanted was to get in our pool and have a beer! I was happy to oblige him!
Once road from south of Baltimore to Piscataway in the middle back seat of a '64 'stang. Only about 200 miles but felt longer than any of my cross country runs.
Seem to remember there's a little hump there. Must've left a mark for a few days.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:43 am
Seem to remember there's a little hump there. Must've left a mark for a few days.

CDFingers
Being the youngest, I always got caught in the middle of the backseat, over the drive-shaft hump. :ras:

CDFingers wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:43 am

CDFingers
There's little of everything back there.
jim

Bucolic wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:28 pm The best conversion I’ve ever heard of was done by an engineer on a project that I provided some oversight to. He dropped an RX-6 rotary engine into a bug eye Sprite.
There was one of those in San Francisco years back. Rumor was that they plumbed one rotor to just act as a supercharger for the other two.

Marlene wrote:
Bucolic wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:28 pm The best conversion I’ve ever heard of was done by an engineer on a project that I provided some oversight to. He dropped an RX-6 rotary engine into a bug eye Sprite.
There was one of those in San Francisco years back. Rumor was that they plumbed one rotor to just act as a supercharger for the other two.
Ooooo! Now that’s some serious shit! I hope they upgraded the brakes.

I love the sound of those Wankels when they’re revving up around 10k.

Bucolic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:48 am Speaking of revving, one of the sleepers I always wanted was the Honda S2000. Never drove one but always wanted to. Anyone?

I knew someone who had one. Very elemental, no frills, very light, Which is why it was very competitive with cars that cost twice as much.

Bucolic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:47 am
Marlene wrote:
Ooooo! Now that’s some serious shit! I hope they upgraded the brakes.

I love the sound of those Wankels when they’re revving up around 10k.

I don't understand how turning one rotor into a super charger would help. Rotaries are fundamentally 2-strokes and the other chambers of the rotor already act as a supercharger, forcing the mixture in. And you lose half the engine's power. Piston-port 2-strokes are essentially super-charged already. as the downward stroke of the piston forces the charge into the upper chamber, while a tuned, timed exhaust sucks out the old charge and sets up a back pressure to hold the new charge in place.