Re: Citroën’s new Ami

wings wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:11 pm They are a load of fun to drive, as long as you have convenient chargers available.
That's just it. If you have a place to charge at home and only expect city driving, a used Leaf will get you off the carbon train for not a whole lot of money. Dependence on public chargers blows. When I commuted in the Leaf, I could just make it round trip in the winter if I didn't use the heat. Othetherwise, I had to charge somewhere.

The Bolt handles 99% of our driving with no need to charge except overnight in my driveway while I'm sleeping. I really, really like it.

featureless wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:41 pm
wings wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:11 pm They are a load of fun to drive, as long as you have convenient chargers available.
That's just it. If you have a place to charge at home and only expect city driving, a used Leaf will get you off the carbon train for not a whole lot of money. Dependence on public chargers blows. When I commuted in the Leaf, I could just make it round trip in the winter if I didn't use the heat. Othetherwise, I had to charge somewhere.

The Bolt handles 99% of our driving with no need to charge except overnight in my driveway while I'm sleeping. I really, really like it.
How does a Leaf do with AC?
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

featureless wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:55 pm Battery range takes a 20% hit. Not much of an issue at city speeds but sucks 55+ mph.
AC's a major consideration down here. So far we've had 41 days that were 100F+ and many times that were 95f+. At the other end I think we had 6 days this year when the high was under 60F.

Right now I have a 2015 Versa and only just over 7000 miles on it so it's really hard to justify making a change to electric from either a financial or environmental position.
jim

I'm intrigued, but most of the trips around town I would use a small electric car for I would rather do on a bicycle. Healthier for me and the planet.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

sig230 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:04 pm Right now I have a 2015 Versa and only just over 7000 miles on it so it's really hard to justify making a change to electric from either a financial or environmental position.
Yup. It's hard to justify, especially if you have an economy car. I got the Leaf when my bitchen VW TDI wagon 6 speed that got 50mpg no matter how I flogged it was recalled in the emissions scandal. I miss that car like no other. But committed to myself to only by EVs for the dad unit thereafter. :)

And nothing wrong with a Versa while EVs come into their own.

Older Leaf models had a problem with battery life in hotter climes. One more thing to consider.

I hope to see tax credits and other incentives for EVs improve substantially in 2021, but that does depend on November. Who knows, maybe Musk will run the math and realize that he can make more money with subsidies than he'll lose to taxes under a Democratic administration.

Then again, this is the asshat who thought a flamethrower giveaway was a good idea.

These guys are Tesla fans, but they cover other makes as well and have discussed the Ami a couple times: https://youtu.be/70Aye9OZZzA. It would be interesting to know if it would be eligible for a portion of the $7500 federal tax credit. Here is another interesting vehicle for short drives from a company Archimoto: https://youtu.be/LfReS0Bn2Ao.

The Bolt has good range, they are also offering some incentives on it since the tax credit expired. https://insideevs.com/features/425892/g ... e-bolt-ev/

Off a regular wall outlet I can get about 5 miles of range per hour, so overnight I would see about 30-40 miles of range added. Using a Nema type 240v outlet improves on that to about 30 miles per hour. The fast chargers are fairly expensive, but our electric company (PG&E) offered a rebate that covered the cost of that. Electricity in CA is apparently pretty expensive compared to other areas - my off peak rate is about $0.17/kw and I rarely have to charge more than about 10% on the battery. If I charge the same every night, which I currently don't due to not going anywhere during the pandemic, I'd be spending around $45 per month. We have solar and battery storage, so I essentially don't pay to charge.

I've had my EV for just over a year and over that time have not been to a gas station, have not had to get an oil change or any other similar service. The only fluid I change now is the washer fluid and with the ash from the fires I've been going through that like I've been consuming wine during the pandemic. I have had to replace three tires, but that's due to driving in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting various objects shoved into my tires. I don't suggest 20" tires if you can avoid it, they cost a mint and with the low sidewall and weight of a BEV, they are more susceptible to flats. I'm incredibly happy with the car.

leitmotiv wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:59 am I don't suggest 20" tires if you can avoid it, they cost a mint and with the low sidewall and weight of a BEV, they are more susceptible to flats. I'm incredibly happy with the car.
Generally good advice, no matter the vehicle. Big rims and tiny sidewalls are just a bad idea all around.

featureless wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:58 pm
sig230 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:04 pm Right now I have a 2015 Versa and only just over 7000 miles on it so it's really hard to justify making a change to electric from either a financial or environmental position.
Yup. It's hard to justify, especially if you have an economy car. I got the Leaf when my bitchen VW TDI wagon 6 speed that got 50mpg no matter how I flogged it was recalled in the emissions scandal. I miss that car like no other. But committed to myself to only by EVs for the dad unit thereafter. :)

And nothing wrong with a Versa while EVs come into their own.
So just for fun I checked to see if there was a Leaf available in the Valley and there is one. It's a 2015 model that was a Fleet Car with 40,000 miles on it and they want $11,000.

So look at a used Leaf for near $10,000 dollars that is not eligible for any tax relief and is marginal in range as well as AC in our temperatures or stick with the 2015 Versa fully paid for and driven seldom is not really a difficult choice.
jim

I find it fascinating to watch this whole thing roll over gas to electric. Here in this thread shows the challenges still faced. We see that perhaps 2/3 of us could get by with this little car, but from time to time we'd need to haul something heavy or to go far or haul something heavy, far. And we have money.

Since we have money, the desire will be met.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

on occasion i've owned 2 cars at the same time, a minivan for hauling stuff around the countryside and a gas-sipper for the routine commute. i loved my little 50mpg geo metro, 3 cylinders of roaring power! i'd buy another if i came across one.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

If states and municipalities allow 14 year olds to drive this thing, it would be revolutionary. Mom doesn’t need to take her big minivan to pick up and drop off junior everywhere. It’s slow, so it’s limited to neighborhood roads (no highways), and that is a plus for a teen driver. It has enough range to go around the school district, but not enough range to go too far, another positive quality for a teenager vehicle. It may not look much of a car, but it’s definitely safer than a bicycle.

If it was street legal for my daughter when she was 14, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:50 am If states and municipalities allow 14 year olds to drive this thing, it would be revolutionary. Mom doesn’t need to take her big minivan to pick up and drop off junior everywhere. It’s slow, so it’s limited to neighborhood roads (no highways), and that is a plus for a teen driver. It has enough range to go around the school district, but not enough range to go too far, another positive quality for a teenager vehicle. It may not look much of a car, but it’s definitely safer than a bicycle.

If it was street legal for my daughter when she was 14, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.
And then after the "Dad, it just stopped running. Yes, we're all safe and in the car. I don't know where we are but we just left Mario's Pizza. Come get us, we're scared!" wondering how she could possibly not know what a halfway point means.
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:55 am
Stiff wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:50 am If states and municipalities allow 14 year olds to drive this thing, it would be revolutionary. Mom doesn’t need to take her big minivan to pick up and drop off junior everywhere. It’s slow, so it’s limited to neighborhood roads (no highways), and that is a plus for a teen driver. It has enough range to go around the school district, but not enough range to go too far, another positive quality for a teenager vehicle. It may not look much of a car, but it’s definitely safer than a bicycle.

And then after the "Dad, it just stopped running. Yes, we're all safe and in the car. I don't know where we are but we just left Mario's Pizza. Come get us, we're scared!" wondering how she could possibly not know what a halfway point means.
There will be problems, but they’re teachable moments. It beats driving her around 365 days a year.

Stiff wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:08 am
sig230 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:55 am

There will be problems, but they’re teachable moments. It beats driving her around 365 days a year.
At 14 there is no current shortage of teachable moments.

At 14 there may not be many taught-able moments.
jim

A lot of 14 year olds are more competent in the latest technology than us old farts. Having an actual car to move around in is a huge incentive to learn. Without the little thing they’re back to relying on mom & dad to go anywhere farther than a mile or two. They would scour the entire internet to find hacks that can increase the car’s reliability and range. The prospect of going to the mall with the bf/gf without the parents is probably enough to make them learn.

All the incentives you described above is exactly what used to attract high-schoolers to get their driver’s licenses at 16. Now days many of the same transportation needs are met by Uber. And the parent’s foot the bill at the end of each month anyway.

So I’m not sure if this new tech is any incentive for Millennials to get into a new hobby any more than a used Honda Civic.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:11 pm All the incentives you described above is exactly what used to attract high-schoolers to get their driver’s licenses at 16. Now days many of the same transportation needs are met by Uber. And the parent’s foot the bill at the end of each month anyway.

So I’m not sure if this new tech is any incentive for Millennials to get into a new hobby any more than a used Honda Civic.
Technically Uber and Lyft are not taking unaccompanied passengers under 18. Many kids circumvent it by using their parents’ account, and most of the time it works because most drivers don’t care. Still, it’s not ideal.

If it’s really available to 14 year olds, then it can make a difference. If the legal age is still 16, then people would just buy a used car.