Missed?

Just my luck I guess. A calm frosty 430am, it's probably just a squirrel and anyway I can't see shit yet. A glimps of first light and the crunch of last nights cold. I can't see in the distance so I wait and prepare for what I think is a 12 point, ah...squirrel. Along the briary trail he moves, while my breath flags a new beginning. 45 yards and everything is clear now, so, pluck... Whap! Killed a Hickory. My dad, who was sitting about 75 yards from me on the 6th tee heard the shot, the jump and the deer running in his directiontoo fast for a shot, but swore it was the 8 pointer we've been watching tear up the area. Moral to the story, I missed and it hurt. To this day I'm certain that because of distance and my lack of patients the prize got away, leaving that critter enough time to flinch and drop below the arrows path. We were not trophy hunting, but it would have turned out to be if I had waited a few more steps. This deer had beams on it the size of my "use imagination"! So here's my question: Anybody miss the opportunity of a lifetime? If so, please share...
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

Re: Missed?

Sonofagun wrote: To this day I'm certain that because of distance and my lack of patients the prize got away.
Well Doctor, If you had more patients, then you could just pay someone else to bag you a deer.

Sorry I couldn't help it.

So now that we have "Spell check" We Need "Context Check"

I liked ride it like you stole it. Original.
How to Embed a Youtube Video - click here
If you live a long life, it is a testament to your friends' self control.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer

Re: Missed?

In december of 1991 I humped a tree stand up to a high ridge in Williamson County in Tennessee. I scouted a saddle and found deer sign suggesting constant use. I set up my stand where I could watch the saddle from both directions and left it for at least a week so that all my scent would be gone. Everyone told me that you can't hunt the ridge because all the wind currents would carry my scent all over the ridge. My first windless and calm morning, I climbed the ridge before dawn and strapped myself into my stand. My rifle was a Marlin model 1895 in 45-70. I loved lever guns and this was my first Marlin. I was familiar with Winchesters but they did not manufacture a rifle at the time in 45-70. I had been less than an hour in my stand when a large twelve point (6x6 for westerners) was standing directly beneath my stand. That bruiser was about twelve feet straight down! I aimed at the spine and along its length so that any sight issues would not be a factor at that range and angle. I calmly exhaled, applied a gentle squeezing pressure to the trigger and fired. Only the weapon never fired. Instead, I very loudly dropped the hammer on the hammer block safety which Winchesters at the time never had. That buck leaped and whirled and blew and was gone. I traded that rifle later that day and used it as a down payment for a Ruger #1.

Also: While living in Alaska and meeting a lot of guides, I discovered that while the Marlin 1895 is popular as a guide rifle, the guides were disabling the safeties before they went afield. Ask me sometime and I'll share their methods with you. :cap: