Page 2 of 5

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 pm
by Sonofagun
Back in my small town home of Shelter Island a job is usually secondary to most things including hunting, fishing and drinking. Us locals can hunt anywhere except the "odvious restricted" areas such as behind the police station in the center of town. My favorite place, the golf course right after dark. Anyway, now I live in unfamiliar territory here in North Atlanta and since I got married with kid my time is limited and it has worn to be a thing to remember. Another reason I don't put the energy into it anymore is my change in attitude. The heards are not teaming and I can get a pretty good sandwich any time I want with a stroke of a dull knife. I'd rather watch life than take it these days..., but that's just me.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:31 pm
by rolandson
eelj wrote:Its amazing how deer love flowers. They have become such pests in cities where I live that both Duluth Mn and Superior Wisc. have special bow seasons with in the city limits. Hunting isn't for every one but I enjoy it.
My father graduated from Denfeld and my mother from Central...Duluth is a second home to me....well not really, but kinda sorta.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:49 pm
by eelj
rolandson wrote:
eelj wrote:Its amazing how deer love flowers. They have become such pests in cities where I live that both Duluth Mn and Superior Wisc. have special bow seasons with in the city limits. Hunting isn't for every one but I enjoy it.
My father graduated from Denfeld and my mother from Central...Duluth is a second home to me....well not really, but kinda sorta.
Do you ever come back to the area? The Denfeld area is very blue collar as I'm sure you know, the east enders would like to turn Duluth into some kind of midwest version of San Francisco which is kind of a joke to me. I give Duluth credit for being the only city in the country that I know of that put up a memorial with a formal apology for a lynching.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:00 pm
by JoeW1911
CDFingers wrote:It's easier to go to the shopping market...

CDFingers
This was my answer, too.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:27 pm
by Sonofagun
I see "knowledge" leading with 34%. This is sad. Everyone should learn basic hunting skills. If the system we have fails or if you fall out, the most important things to know are being able to take care of yourself. You can live on a vegetable garden, but if you can't hunt, chances are you can't grow vegetables. Go Hunting...become nature.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 am
by goosekiller
If knowledge, equipment, and land are an issue, you might seek professional help.
From a hunting guide, that is.

Of all the things on that list, time is the most valuable. Use it wisely.
Once i finish these new goose pits, i will have more time to play here. I will bring pictures of goose pit construction to bore you with. Over and out.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:28 am
by Wabatuckian
I love to hunt. I stopped deer hunting when my parents downsized their chest freezer and my grandparents died. Deer hunting has always been easy -- don't seem to be able to smell me for whatever reason.

I'm getting married Jan 1st, though, and I'll probably take the muzzleloader out and make meat. The fiance doesn't eat a whole lot of meat as a preference, but when she does she enjoys turkey or venison. I can see a good-sized buck or even a larger doe lasting us the entire year.

I do really like small-game hunting, squirrel and rabbit mostly. Very good eating. This year neither time nor health has been on my side; I'm recovering from influenza right now and prior to that, I kept getting colds the boy brought home from school. When I'm not sick (and many times when I am), I have to work on the business.

I need to take ONE day and take some squirrel. My dog's wondering what's wrong with me.

Josh

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:09 am
by GuitarsandGuns
Image

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:43 pm
by JamesH
Haha G&G. Yah...I might change my stance on hunting if mooses were able to bag me and tie me to the roof of a truck.

But, in reality, I'm a meat eater. I don't think that will ever change. I tried to go semi-veggie once or twice, and I just found that I missed eating meat, that basic sustenance that allowed us primates to develop "more developed" brains over evolutionary time. And if I'm going to eat meat, even if it's not all "wild-harvested", I'm going to be damned sure I still have the, I don't know...capacity? to kill it myself.

Not trying to turn your post into anything combative, G&G. I've just seen this kind of picture before and I think it can be interpreted in different ways ranging from simple deer camp humor all the way to a serious negative critique on hunting.

Hope I'm not taking it too far to the negative critique end of it.

Anyway, I guess I'll vote while I'm here. It's time and money for me. Money=equipment in my book. Knowledge doesn't prevent me because I grew up hunting and even if I don't know how to hunt in a particular area or for a particular species, I know enough of how to find that information. And I'm constantly learning when I hunt. Private land is awesome, but so is public land when there's enough of it. Fortunately, where I've lived in the "west" during the past 10 years has had no shortage of public land. Oregon, Nevada, Wyoming. Even when I was growing up in Wisconsin, it seemed like there wasn't a shortage of public land. But I understand how that might be a problem in places I haven't spent much time in, like the East Coast states or down south.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:03 pm
by GuitarsandGuns
JamesH wrote:Haha G&G. Yah...I might change my stance on hunting if mooses were able to bag me and tie me to the roof of a truck.

Not trying to turn your post into anything combative, G&G. I've just seen this kind of picture before and I think it can be interpreted in different ways ranging from simple deer camp humor all the way to a serious negative critique on hunting.
I just think it's a funny picture. No criticism intended. There is an anti hunting thread for that anyway. This is a gun club.

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 35&t=11504

As far as hunting goes, I have no problem with it, but I do shoot back.

Commercial meat production bothers me. As far as taking innocent animal life goes, just think of how many critters are killed by the wheat farmer as the threshers come by. I'm a firm believer in the nitrogen cycle.

Image

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:22 pm
by JamesH
GuitarsandGuns wrote:Commercial meat production bothers me. As far as taking innocent animal life goes, just think of how many critters are killed by the wheat farmer as the threshers come by. I'm a firm believer in the nitrogen cycle.

Image
I'm in the same boat. Commercial meat production bothers me too. I wish I could be responsible for all my killing, directly, so I could take command of what's moral and not, according to myself, and take responsibility, myself, for what's immoral and pay penance for what I did in any sort of afterlife, if there is one. But I'm not in command of everything. And even veggies or vegans kill animals, in my opinion, because of what you mentioned about the threshers. Or driving a car and killing insects. Etc.

By the way, I've never seen that picture before. It would definitely make some brains spin on their stems among the NRA crowd. Love it!

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:32 pm
by axel
I've hunted a few times as a kid with my dad. Also hunted hogs and doves in Turkey. Most Turks don't eat pork, and some parts of the country are over-run. They only allowed shotguns, but slugs worked well. The last time I hunted was with some friends in the Uinta Mountains in Utah. We hunted from horseback during the muzzleloading season. Didn't see a thing, but it was fun.

I'm thinking about getting back into it here in New Mexico. Feral hogs are making their way in from Texas and NM Game and Fish wants them gone - no season, no license required, no limit, almost no rules as long as the landowners give permission. I'm going to start keeping a 30-30 behind the seat of my truck for hog opportunities. And while fly-fishing I'll keep a Super Blackhawk on my waist.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm
by shinzen
Ultravox wrote:I chose knowledge and equipment.

Equipment mainly because I have no where to store the meat. I've been wanting to buy a chest freezer, but never have. I have the appropriate guns to hunt deer, geese, ducks, etc. I don't really have appropriate clothing either.

Knowledge because I've never done it. I do know someone who would probably be willing to take me out if I asked.
+1 on the equipment side. I can go hunting for Deer/Elk with what I've got on hand, but I've got no chest freezer to hold onto it with. I haven't been since I was about 14, but recently thinking of getting back into it for small game (Pheasants/Rabbits, I HATE the taste of goose) I'll need to pickup a shotgun at some point, but can probably get by with a little cheap single shot.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:41 pm
by shinzen
axel wrote:I've hunted a few times as a kid with my dad. Also hunted hogs and doves in Turkey. Most Turks don't eat pork, and some parts of the country are over-run. They only allowed shotguns, but slugs worked well. The last time I hunted was with some friends in the Uinta Mountains in Utah. We hunted from horseback during the muzzleloading season. Didn't see a thing, but it was fun.

I'm thinking about getting back into it here in New Mexico. Feral hogs are making their way in from Texas and NM Game and Fish wants them gone - no season, no license required, no limit, almost no rules as long as the landowners give permission. I'm going to start keeping a 30-30 behind the seat of my truck for hog opportunities. And while fly-fishing I'll keep a Super Blackhawk on my waist.
Hmm. May have to head down to your neck of the woods for a hunt if it's open game on those hogs!

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 pm
by shinzen
GuitarsandGuns wrote:Image
that is seriously awesome. Nice find! :lol:

Might make me reconsider myself!

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:19 pm
by senorgrand
A big barrier for me is that there's not much out there that I find tastier than what I get at the Costco, with the exception of turkeys and pigs.

I think hog hunting would be great, but a license and a freezer are big roadblocks, plus I don't know how to butcher anything that doesn't have gills.

I wouldn't mind varmint hunting, like shooting nutria up in Oregon or thinning-out some rattlers on someone's back 40 (which I did when I was a kid, but with air guns).

I think hunting is great, if it has a purpose. I have a real problem with psuedo-liberals who will lecture about the evils of hunting while they've got a burger in their hand.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 pm
by Earthtrek
For me the two biggest obstacles to hunting are time and knowledge. I didn't grow up hunting and don't have any close friends or relatives who hunt, either. So most of what I know is from books, the Internet, and the MO Dept. of Conservation. Next year after my term as senior warden at church expires, I hope to have the time to take advantage of the huge number of classes offered by the Dept. of Conservation.

As other people have mentioned on the thread, I have more ethical problems with commercially raised meat than something I would harvest myself. And yes, being lectured by an anti-hunting liberal who is chowing down on a Big Mac really gets my goat.

Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:11 pm
by Tcejop
Image



Nothing stopping me..

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:52 pm
by begemot
Lack of interest. I understand the allure and even the archetypal significance, but I already spend a lot of time outdoors, exploring and "stalking" various wildlife (like salamanders under logs) and don't feel a need to off them to achieve self-actualization. ;) Unless said amphibians threaten me with grievous bodily injury or death, in which case they feel the full wrath of my 9mm mall-ninja fury (regenerate this, mother#%*@ers!!!).

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 am
by eelj
The big thing that stopped me from taking advantage of the muzzle loader season is the weather. We've had mist and rain all season, you can't hunt with a flintlock under those conditions. Owning a flintlock has given me insight on what it was in the past. I figure when the weather was like what we are experiencing right now Daniel Boone spent his time in the Boonesborough tavern watching strippers lodge pole dancing.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:47 am
by JinxRemoving
Having cooked professionally for several years, butchery was a significant part of what I did, so no worries about going from primals to manageable cuts. Hunting, I feel like I could do-- I get hungry a lot, and can get as cold-hearted as necessary. The only thing that makes me hesitant, in terms of skill/work/etc. is the initial cleaning: being largely ignorant of what exactly grows (bacteria, viruses, etc.) in specific species in specific areas makes me a little nervous about field-stripping a rabbit etc. without knowing exactly oogly boogly germs I should be careful of in particular.

I live in a city, but apparently in California, one can hunt wild pigs pretty much whenever... this is something I'm very interested in doing. I'm not sure my Glock 9mm is the best choice, however. I have been trying to read up on what weapons are 1) legal to use for hunting in my general locale and 2) effective for the game I'm interested in eating (pig, duck, turkey... fish: sorry, but I have never really loved the taste of deer. Elk, however = YUM).

In MA, I know shotguns were the preferred hunting utensil, and in many areas, the only legal ones. The idea of eating an animal and spitting out buckshot is incredibly unappealling to me, but not having done this, I don't really know. You can use .22's and .223's to hunt some things, but not others, yet there is apparently 30.06 for hunting and .308 for TACTICAL hunting, and those are both just too big for some game... FML! I suppose I'd rather surprise an elk with a portable guillotine than shoot it.

Before you say "look it up on the internet," believe me, I am trying, but cutting through the macho caliber bs takes a damned .303 Vickers!

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 am
by eelj
JinxRemoving wrote:Having cooked professionally for several years, butchery was a significant part of what I did, so no worries about going from primals to manageable cuts. Hunting, I feel like I could do-- I get hungry a lot, and can get as cold-hearted as necessary. The only thing that makes me hesitant, in terms of skill/work/etc. is the initial cleaning: being largely ignorant of what exactly grows (bacteria, viruses, etc.) in specific species in specific areas makes me a little nervous about field-stripping a rabbit etc. without knowing exactly oogly boogly germs I should be careful of in particular.

I live in a city, but apparently in California, one can hunt wild pigs pretty much whenever... this is something I'm very interested in doing. I'm not sure my Glock 9mm is the best choice, however. I have been trying to read up on what weapons are 1) legal to use for hunting in my general locale and 2) effective for the game I'm interested in eating (pig, duck, turkey... fish: sorry, but I have never really loved the taste of deer. Elk, however = YUM).

In MA, I know shotguns were the preferred hunting utensil, and in many areas, the only legal ones. The idea of eating an animal and spitting out buckshot is incredibly unappealling to me, but not having done this, I don't really know. You can use .22's and .223's to hunt some things, but not others, yet there is apparently 30.06 for hunting and .308 for TACTICAL hunting, and those are both just too big for some game... FML! I suppose I'd rather surprise an elk with a portable guillotine than shoot it.

Before you say "look it up on the internet," believe me, I am trying, but cutting through the macho caliber bs takes a damned .303 Vickers!
For big game a hunting rifle in 30-06 or 270 will work fine, I don't think I would use a 9mm pistol for pigs and I'm thinking that state regulations would not allow it. Handgun hunting requires much practice at different ranges to be able to successfully kill a large game animal cleanly and humanely. I believe each state publishes a booklet with game regulations that will list caliber requirements along with bag limits. I know in my state for small game with a rifle or pistol you can only use 22 rimfire.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:46 pm
by goosekiller
begemot wrote:Lack of interest. I understand the allure and even the archetypal significance, but I already spend a lot of time outdoors, exploring and "stalking" various wildlife (like salamanders under logs) and don't feel a need to off them to achieve self-actualization. ;) Unless said amphibians threaten me with grievous bodily injury or death, in which case they feel the full wrath of my 9mm mall-ninja fury (regenerate this, mother#%*@ers!!!).
Frogs is amphibicans. Tasty li'l bastards.
Tiger salamanders, while fun to watch eat, have scrawny little legs and beady eyes that say,"go ahead and eat me - you will pay later..."
How can ya cook a salamander anyway? Everyone knows they ain't affected by fire.

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:47 pm
by begemot
goosekiller wrote:
begemot wrote:Lack of interest. I understand the allure and even the archetypal significance, but I already spend a lot of time outdoors, exploring and "stalking" various wildlife (like salamanders under logs) and don't feel a need to off them to achieve self-actualization. ;) Unless said amphibians threaten me with grievous bodily injury or death, in which case they feel the full wrath of my 9mm mall-ninja fury (regenerate this, mother#%*@ers!!!).
Frogs is amphibicans. Tasty li'l bastards.
Tiger salamanders, while fun to watch eat, have scrawny little legs and beady eyes that say,"go ahead and eat me - you will pay later..."
How can ya cook a salamander anyway? Everyone knows they ain't affected by fire.
Salamander ceviche?

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:06 am
by JinxRemoving
begemot wrote:
goosekiller wrote:
begemot wrote:Lack of interest. I understand the allure and even the archetypal significance, but I already spend a lot of time outdoors, exploring and "stalking" various wildlife (like salamanders under logs) and don't feel a need to off them to achieve self-actualization. ;) Unless said amphibians threaten me with grievous bodily injury or death, in which case they feel the full wrath of my 9mm mall-ninja fury (regenerate this, mother#%*@ers!!!).
Frogs is amphibicans. Tasty li'l bastards.
Tiger salamanders, while fun to watch eat, have scrawny little legs and beady eyes that say,"go ahead and eat me - you will pay later..."
How can ya cook a salamander anyway? Everyone knows they ain't affected by fire.
Salamander ceviche?
takes one to cook one-- http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/foods ... QgodnG8AKA