Re: Pig hunting in Northern California

Mason wrote:
with the scope it's still weighing in right at 10lbs
I'm thinking a nice bolt gun in -preferred suitable caliber here- with a 1-4 scope would weigh in around seven, cost about the same and carry a whole lot nicer. That's just experience talking, though.

Likely true, no doubt about it. It may seem a bit odd, but there were a couple of things driving the decision. First, I could just order the parts and not go through the FFL transfer/10 day wait. That also kept me from adding a whole other rifle to the safe, and I had some of the pieces and parts on hand.

The second driver was just that I wanted a multipurpose rifle, as target shooting will be something I do more often by far. I'm still not in love with 223 as a round, so checking out more calibers for the platform is interesting to me. I kind of miss the 7.62x39 I built, and this is a caliber that was designed for the platform instead.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

That look like a great rig.

Now it's time to slay some hog!

I'll take my 300 WBY if we are are talking big game hogs...

So far we have 3 of us, SG, you in?

Keep in mind that most central california hog hunting in in the lead free zone. So develop those rounds for the Barnes or Hornady GMX ASAP.

I have a good lead free round for both the 300 blackout (110 gr Tac-Tx over 20.2 grains H110) and the -06 ( 130 grain Tipped TSX over 47.5 grains IMR 4064) . 300 WBY is next when I can squeeze in the range time. Will start with the 165 Tipped TSX for the WBY.

SOOOOOOEEEEYYYY! :crockett: :crockett: :crockett: :crockett:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

I actually would have been happy with a 6mm instead of a 6.5mm, I like the idea of a smaller diameter bullet in that case capacity- but the 6.5 has great long range performance, as well as being a solid hunting round.... So meh. A few ways it could have gone. I like the side charger except for putting it into battery. The new replacement for the bad lever hasn't come in yet.

This is what I would have done and may still do

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek068.html

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:I actually would have been happy with a 6mm instead of a 6.5mm, I like the idea of a smaller diameter bullet in that case capacity- but the 6.5 has great long range performance, as well as being a solid hunting round.... So meh. A few ways it could have gone. I like the side charger except for putting it into battery. The new replacement for the bad lever hasn't come in yet.

This is what I would have done and may still do

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek068.html

That looks like a very serious set up!

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

shinzen wrote:What is your FrankenMosin weighing in at? I considered using mine, but mines got to weight in at a good 18lbs. No way in heck I'm lugging it all over the field.
The Frankenmosin is just the carbine. You're thinking of the Mosin camo target rifle with the bull barrel--that's gotta be close to 18 lbs, sure. The Frankenmosin is a bit lighter even than a standard carbine due to no hand guard and the wood having gone through a fire, lightening it considerably.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Well I took Pig Reaper (TM) out this afternoon finally. Some points of note-

1) I really like the side charging setup with the phase 5 bolt release. Extremely nice.

2) The carbon fiber handguard felt neither hot nor cold. Comfortable to hold on to and seems non-slippery

3) Don't forget your gas block adjustment wrench at home, or you'll be in single shot mode all day

4) I was underwhelmed with the accuracy. Admittedly it was the first time out with it, but was in the neighborhood of 3" groups. It should do far better, hopefully it's just the break in cycle. Tried three different kinds of factory ammo and some reloads I cobbled together. I wasn't thinking I'd get a bughole gun, but figured it should be around 1 MOA with the scope and Shilen barrel.

More to come.
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Yeah, I was getting annoyed, especially after the great results from the Mosin. We shall see.

I'll snap a shot tomorrow. Don't feel like getting it back out tonight.

I had the same results while breaking in my 24" barrel last week. I think if we hang in there with the Break in cycle that Shilen recommends the rewards will be forthcoming. I have some bore polish that I might also use to polish the chamber throat.

My next step in my quest for small groups is nailing down optimum COAL for accuracy by measuring the freebore for a couple given projectiles.

:beer2:

Been awhile since an update here- had a little break in the rain today, so was able to head out to the range with the Grendel. Happily, my gas block was set correctly open this time out, so wasn't stuck in single shot mode. Put about 50 or so rounds down range, and the groups were quite a bit better- my non-worked up reloads actually did better than the Hornady or either box of the Alexander Arms ammo, right about a 1" 5 shot group. Now that everything is working properly, I can work up my loads to shrink the groups.

I'll also have to decide whether or not I really need this upper since I'm building the bolt action. And I'd really like a O/U so......
- Maya Angelou