Re: Been dreamin'....

Is it safe to eat feral pigs? Some of us are thinking of going pig hunting next year, and I would be much better with it if the meat can be used. But having worked on hog farms from the age of 9 to 18, I know that trichinosis , while no longer a problem with properly raised hogs, could be in feral hogs. Then you have the little nuisances like nipah and menangle viruses and worse, Prion disease.

And prion disease is already a problem with people who are eating deer and elk in some parts of the country.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5207a1.htm
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: Been dreamin'....

mahkagari wrote:
dandad wrote:Is it safe to eat feral pigs? Some of us are thinking of going pig hunting next year, and I would be much better with it if the meat can be used. But having worked on hog farms from the age of 9 to 18, I know that trichinosis , while no longer a problem with properly raised hogs, could be in feral hogs. Then you have the little nuisances like nipah and menangle viruses and worse, Prion disease.
We cook ours pretty thoroughly. I've also got a chest freezer that bottomed out on the -20F thermometer I last tested it on. There are some FDA guidelines out there about how low and how long to freeze to kill trichnae. Brucellosis, etc. gets cooked out. IMO, with a little extra care, it's no worse than any other wild meat.
dandad wrote:And prion disease is already a problem with people who are eating deer and elk in some parts of the country.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5207a1.htm
I'd adjust this to say that CWD is a problem in some areas for the deer and elk and these three guys with a single common connection had a problem. I wouldn't go so far as to say that infection in humans is a significant problem anywhere outside of this single case, but maybe someone else knows better. I still warn my daughters against handling or eating any spine or brain tissue.
Its about 5 in 100,000 deaths from prion disease in the US get this every year, however, not many are linked to eating game. And that number has been going up over the years since they started tracking it in 1979. or so the CDC and WHO says. Big problem with tracking it is that it has a 7 to 15 year incubation period, and in some cases has taken up to 30 years before showing up. But you wont even find out for at least 7 years.

Its still scary to think that you could eat something, and 30 years later you brain turns to mush. However, the odds are slim.

But I think if you and others have not been harmed by wild pig, and cook it well, its likely no riskier than buying it off the shelve in the grocery store.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more