Re: Teen bags bison from Yellowstone with single arrow

For people who are curious of plains buffalo hunting I would suggest looking up the hunts in the red river valley by the Canadian Metis.

They were carried out with extreme military precision by over 1000 mounted hunters armed with rather short flintlock northwest trade guns right up to the extermination of the herds in the late 19th century. The guns were shortened and the vent holes so worn that they would self prime when powder was poured down the barrel and then they would spit one of the 4 62 caliber lead balls they carried in their mouth down the barrel, all while riding at full gallop in the middle of a stampedeing buffalo herd.

An irate buffalo, even semi tame (not afraid of humans) can kill you as quick as a semi tame grizzly bear can. The "semi" part, not being afraid of humans, makes them more dangerous. If I was hunting buffalo with a bow, I would want somebody with a really large bore rifle doing backup.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

eelj wrote:For people who are curious of plains buffalo hunting I would suggest looking up the hunts in the red river valley by the Canadian Metis.

They were carried out with extreme military precision by over 1000 mounted hunters armed with rather short flintlock northwest trade guns right up to the extermination of the herds in the late 19th century. The guns were shortened and the vent holes so worn that they would self prime when powder was poured down the barrel and then they would spit one of the 4 62 caliber lead balls they carried in their mouth down the barrel, all while riding at full gallop in the middle of a stampedeing buffalo herd.
Oddly enough, my great great grandfather - Benoni, was Metis. He left Canada after the Riel [sp?] Uprising and never looked back.

Unfortunately, the ability to ride a horse at full gallop and shoot buffalo is not genetic.

I don't even like horses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:
eelj wrote:For people who are curious of plains buffalo hunting I would suggest looking up the hunts in the red river valley by the Canadian Metis.

Oddly enough, my great great grandfather - Benoni, was Metis. He left Canada after the Riel [sp?] Uprising and never looked back.

Unfortunately, the ability to ride a horse at full gallop and shoot buffalo is not genetic.

I don't even like horses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is so cool, I love history and I'm quite keen on the history of my part of the country.

dougb wrote:An irate buffalo, even semi tame (not afraid of humans) can kill you as quick as a semi tame grizzly bear can. The "semi" part, not being afraid of humans, makes them more dangerous. If I was hunting buffalo with a bow, I would want somebody with a really large bore rifle doing backup.
Not much different than a bull on a farm. They aren't considered "wild" animals but have run my ass off on several occasions crossing a field. On another note Good shot placement with a bow of sufficiant poundage with sharp broadheads will cause a quick humane kill on animal.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

Lot of farmers have stopped keeping bulls and have a service use artificial insemination instead. Bulls are semi tame and have killed a lot of farmers, but are not as fast as a buffalo. People who raise bison are very cautious around them.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

dougb wrote:Lot of farmers have stopped keeping bulls and have a service use artificial insemination instead. Bulls are semi tame and have killed a lot of farmers, but are not as fast as a buffalo. People who raise bison are very cautious around them.
I used to hunt on a farmers land that raised breeder bulls. He was the service. I always carried a Breneke slug in my bird vest. He asked me about it once and reminded me the one bull he paid $80k for. He had like 30 of the mean bastards. All in their own pastures.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled