Red/ Green Hunting lights?

I'm trying to cram for a hog hunt next week. Nocturnal action means lights are used. Hogs can't see green or red so those are used for illumination. I don't want to spend a load on something I'll use 1-2 times so I'm looking for a cheap DIY. Those in the know write about LEDs scaring hogs regardless of color. I wonder about colored lens on a 12v bulb, the sort that's used for low-wattage outside lighting.

Anyone experienced in this area?

http://www.feederlights.com/
This guy sells the lights so I know he's biased.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Red/ Green Hunting lights?

I have walked up on hogs in the dark several times wearing a white LED headlamp. If they are feeding, they usually don't notice until they either smell me or I get so close as to be impossible to ignore. BTW, it's illegal to shoot them at night on public land here, so you can consider me envious! Edited to ask if this is a private land hunt? If so, getting whatever you plan on using set up for a few days before would most likely condition them to the light. Their hunger usually overrules damn near everything else eventually.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
John A. Shedd

What kind of firearm are you using, and what kind of sights?

I haven't hunted at night, but I have shot night matches. And I've learned that if you have iron sights, you need to see them, as well as the target. A head mounted lamp is the way to go.

But if you're using a red dot or other illuminated optic, that changes the calculus.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

We're cobbling this together and lack experience. I have a Marlin 45-70 lever & a Garand. No optics. Cloudy and a waning crescent moon. It will be dark.

I've been to the land before and it sounds like the hogs run along the creek bed, sides slope down gradually. I'm not willing to shoot in the dark when I can't tell what's around it so shooting down is better than flat shooting. I thought about a semi-auto 12g with mag 000 buck.

There are sight issues and fireball issues. We plan to do this 3 nights and it might not be productive outside of a good story. :confused:

Simmer down wrote:We're cobbling this together and lack experience. I have a Marlin 45-70 lever & a Garand. No optics. Cloudy and a waning crescent moon. It will be dark.

I've been to the land before and it sounds like the hogs run along the creek bed, sides slope down gradually. I'm not willing to shoot in the dark when I can't tell what's around it so shooting down is better than flat shooting. I thought about a semi-auto 12g with mag 000 buck.

There are sight issues and fireball issues. We plan to do this 3 nights and it might not be productive outside of a good story. :confused:
You can always strap on one of those big-ass revolvers as a backup weapon. :thumbup:
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Marlene wrote:I'd do a well designed slug over 000. There's now slugs specifically designed for heavy boned hogs. They work. 000 is still just 40 cal 70 grain lead round ball.
I have both. I thought the 000 would be more forgiving in the can't-see-shit-out-here-in-the-dark department.

If it spreads that much, it ain't doin nothing to a hog but piss him off.

For reference, a CA chapter member who is not on the forum put three or four badly designed zinc "lead free" slugs in to a hog that managed to get away. Otoh, 6.5 Grendel dropped a similarly sized hog like a light switch. Penetration is the thing.

Marlene wrote:If it spreads that much, it ain't doin nothing to a hog but piss him off.

For reference, a CA chapter member who is not on the forum put three or four badly designed zinc "lead free" slugs in to a hog that managed to get away. Otoh, 6.5 Grendel dropped a similarly sized hog like a light switch. Penetration is the thing.
"Lead free slugs"
I shudder at the thought.

curtism1234 wrote:
Simmer down wrote:I don't want to spend a load on something I'll use 1-2 times so I'm looking for a cheap DIY. .
Buy it then return it saying it doesn't work :yes: :yes: :yes: :hmmm:
The Walmart rental program.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

HuckleberryFun wrote:
Marlene wrote:If it spreads that much, it ain't doin nothing to a hog but piss him off.

"Lead free slugs"
I shudder at the thought.
Like other modern ammo, the good stuff works as well as lead. A bunch of it works better, but wasn't price competitive against lead.

My son and I found our way out to the Pig Party in the middle of nowhere in the pitch black. We were inching up the dirt road towards the house and had to stop for a caravan of passing hogs. This was like stopping for a train wondering how long it will be. I bet we saw 50 at a leisurely trot, single file passing 15-20 yards in front of the car. It looked like a Dr Seuss parade. After they passed we started creeping up again and the caboose passed right in front of us. Maybe 5 ft long, wild tufts of hair.

We got to the house and told our friends what we saw and they said that's what they do. They don't seem bothered by people, dogs, bright lights, etc.

Four of us headed out and covered their 100 acres, criss-crossing, along the fence lines, along pigpaths. Nothing.
The end.gif
The end.gif (409.42 KiB) Viewed 4212 times

I was looking at this thread title for a few days. Since I don't hunt, I was wondering whether new port/starboard hunter regs where you have to wear lights or what not.

Don't forget: I live in California. You never know what they'll come up with next.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack