National Park Service seeking hunters to "thin bison herd"

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Mason, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

National Park Service seeking hunters to "thin bison herd"

Post by DispositionMatrix »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 656627001/
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — The National Park Service plans to thin a herd of bison in the Grand Canyon through roundups and by seeking volunteers who are physically fit and proficient with a gun to kill the animals that increasingly are damaging park resources.

Some bison would be shipped out of the area and others legally hunted in the adjacent forest. Within the Grand Canyon, shooters would be selected through a lottery to help bring the number of bison roaming the far northern reaches of the park to no more than 200 within three to five years.

About 600 of the animals now live in the region, and biologists say the bison numbers could hit 1,500 within 10 years if left uncontrolled.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

zzrguy
Been around awhile

Re: National Park Service seeking hunters to "thin bison her

Post by zzrguy »

Sign me up baby I got a Sharps all ready to relive the glorious life it predecessors did over 100 years ago.

Damn I'll even break out the buck skins.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

MaxwellG
Verified Member
Verified Member
Location: In the North-West of the Old World, east of the Sea

Post by MaxwellG »

Bison Brisket, Tenderloin, NY Strips and flank...let me count the ways.
I made a Bison Brisket a year ago...my special rub (yes I said it I use a rub on my meat).
Slow-cook in a dutch oven, it was so tender too.
Humpty Dumpty didn't fall. He was pushed.
We still know where the pitchforks are.

Bang
Chatty

Post by Bang »

I would hunt this.
I would like to hunt this.
How. How can I hunt this. Give me a chip.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

volunteers to be capable of hiking eight miles a day, carrying a 60-pound pack and hitting a paper plate 200 yards away five times.
Hey, but Teddy Roosevelt didn't have to huff a 60 pound pack for eight miles. Do they supply the rifle and rounds?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Now that we've killed off most of the predators, all's that's left is us. Can't have ten million bison stampeding through Tucson, now, can we?

To make it fair, I say the hunt should be done with bow and arrow from horseback. There are some pretty gnarly bows on the market nowadays. The horses get to wear armor, but the hunters do not. Cover it on live TV. Pay per view would clean up. Rollerball...

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."

drigeba
Loquacious

Post by drigeba »

Successful hunters will do a lot of hauling to get all that meat out. A pack train of horses seems necessary for that.

I'm not sure if there is much challenge to hunting them otherwise, since I recall their instinctive response to a threat is to circle into a herd and stand their ground.

It does seem like a fun opportunity for a re-enactment of various Native and European-American historical harvesting techniques. A filmmaker could do something interesting with that..Except for the shooting from the train method and leaving them to rot on the prairie...

:beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.
ImageImage

rascally
Chatty

Post by rascally »

Bisbee wrote:
volunteers to be capable of hiking eight miles a day, carrying a 60-pound pack and hitting a paper plate 200 yards away five times.
Hey, but Teddy Roosevelt didn't have to huff a 60 pound pack for eight miles. Do they supply the rifle and rounds?
Is no one yet making a battery powered ATV? If batteries can pull (or push) an automobile 200 miles or so, surely they can run an ATV with trailer 20 miles...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

ncbluedot
Been around awhile

Post by ncbluedot »

I'm with CDFingers, primative weapons only on horse back or on foot. I was watching a hunting program on the YouTubes where this bow hunter was on a preserve hunting bison. The guide said "there's one" the hunter turns the corner and theres a buffalo munching on a hay bale. Looked as sporting as drilling a hole in ole Bessy when she's standing at the water trough.

MaxwellG
Verified Member
Verified Member
Location: In the North-West of the Old World, east of the Sea

Re: National Park Service seeking hunters to

Post by MaxwellG »

rascally wrote:
Bisbee wrote:
Is no one yet making a battery powered ATV? If batteries can pull (or push) an automobile 200 miles or so, surely they can run an ATV with trailer 20 miles...
What? Drive 8 miles...hit a target 5 times at 60 yards and bring 200 paper plates, and a pack? I'll bring a grill and utensils then! :sarcasm:
Humpty Dumpty didn't fall. He was pushed.
We still know where the pitchforks are.

zzrguy
Been around awhile

Post by zzrguy »

CDFingers wrote:Now that we've killed off most of the predators, all's that's left is us. Can't have ten million bison stampeding through Tucson, now, can we?

To make it fair, I say the hunt should be done with bow and arrow from horseback. There are some pretty gnarly bows on the market nowadays. The horses get to wear armor, but the hunters do not. Cover it on live TV. Pay per view would clean up. Rollerball...

CDFingers
I'll stick with my Sharps.
I would rather see some of these Majestic beasts relocated but it is way more expensive then haven a hunter pay for the right to take one of them.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

Mason

Post by Mason »

FWIW CD. Arrows kill slowly and Bison are ornery.
"You can not consume happiness."
-Melissa G.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

^^^ All the more bragging rights.

CD is right. We've got's ta earn the right to take a bison. We've got's ta be men!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Mason wrote:FWIW CD. Arrows kill slowly and Bison are ornery.
There's a risk, so you have to make a perfect shot, entry and exit sharpened three blade broadhead through the heart and be prepared to run. Fair.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."

AndyH
Banned

Post by AndyH »

CDFingers wrote:
Mason wrote:FWIW CD. Arrows kill slowly and Bison are ornery.
There's a risk, so you have to make a perfect shot, entry and exit sharpened three blade broadhead through the heart and be prepared to run. Fair.

CDFingers
Fair is right. And it could help a bit to thin the largest problem herd as well. Win-win. ;)